The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hey everybody!

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Classic Car Lover

Hey everybody!

Just a couple words to say Hi to everyone. I have a 1965 Olds Cutlass Holiday that was a wedding present to my wife and I. About 3 years after we were married, it needed some repairs that at the time we couldn't afford. Unfortunately, the car has sat for the past 13 years, seeing the road only once and that was when we moved into our current house. Two kids, three dogs, two in-laws and about 5 other vehicles later, I am seriously thinking of selling it before it becomes unrestorable. I'll post more info on the sale forum later, but just wanted to say Hi for now.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM

welcome aboard and you might even change your mind and keep it LOL but welcome to CO

O YEA ALMOST FORGOT WE LOVE PICS LOL
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:03 AM

Some day you will notice the kids have moved out, the In-laws are gone and the dogs just don't do anything but lay in the sun, that would be a good time to have a nice project car to turn to. Keeps the empty nest blues away. But on a lighter note you might not get the car done before the kids start moving back home.LOL
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:27 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Glad you decided to join us
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:35 AM

Welcome to the site.
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Do you have an interest in restoring her, or no? Could be a good project!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Yes, life does get in the way. Sometimes one just has to make the time regardless....but good luck in your endeavor whether you sell or keep.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:45 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Sometimes that project car is a good way to bring kids and dads together, it's easy to talk when your working on something you enjoy. In any case nice to have you here.
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Classic Car Lover

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, everybody. My problem with keeping the car, is that I hate to see cars like this in other peoples driveways. I always fell like "Why don't they just sell it, instead of letting it sit there and rust away into oblivion?" I would love to restore her to her glory days, but lack of money, and now a job (laid off for two months now, but still looking) keep me from being able to do anything. One good poin to all of this is that the car still runs, though the alternator screams like a banshee. Maybe I'll keep her a while longer and see what happens. Miracles appear in the strangest of places.

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber on the road, Nighthawk out.
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:24 AM

Welcome to the forum and I hope all works out for you and the car. I am partial to 65s as can be seen by my avatar. Do a little at a time if you look at the overall job it can get overwhelming. Some of us have been working years on our projects. I am finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM

Every time I see the header to your Thread I think of that guy from the simpsons dr nick .
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM

were are you from and if it runs then what does it need ? I dont know about your kids but mine love to go ride in black betty ( 66 lemans) so If the kids like it and it was a token of your love you share with your wife To sell it or let it slip would be like cheating on her. (Think she will buy it) I always say if its paid for and I cant come up with the money to fix it right now it can sit and wont coast me to waight and get to it latter . Could you do the work youself that does need to be done?
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Classic Car Lover

You guys are a bad influence on me (I like it). Trying to convince me to keep the Olds (it really isn't taking much to convince me to keep it). I guess I'll keep for a while longer. Look out 2012, here I come! VVVRRROOOMMM!
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM

That's the attitude!! really, if it was a wedding gift and you can hang onto it, when things get better, both you and your wife will be glad you kept it. If you can't get it restored by the time the kids are gone, well then there's the grandkids to take on a Sunday drive.
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM

I agree a new friend of mine just took his cutlass out of a 25 year hiatus and is starting to restore it, put it on the back burner till your ready for it both physically and financially.....it will make it so much more enjoyable LOL
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:11 PM
...should get a life....

Some really good points here Nighthawk. The car cost nothing to start with and nothing to keep. It could be a really good family project...little bit at a time when there are a few lazy dollars to be had, then one of these days when the kids are gone and there's a new dog in the yard, you & the bride can go cruising in your restored '65 Oldsmobile wedding present. And that, I imagine, would be a fairly unique situation.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM

WE WANT PIC'S !!!! You think were bad influence now just wait till you get some photo's up you gotta have some sweat shots from back in the day!
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM

PLEASE!....If you don't get help here....GET HELP SOMEWHERE!!

Glad your with the few, the proud: Olds owners.....we're like a 12MM wrench in a set of SAE tools. But 1 good thing. At the car show normally your the only one there unless its an Olds OCA meet. I just like trying to hear people try to figure out what the hell I'm driving. You get some interesting comments. But you"ll get some great help here. This is a great bunch of guys and they have Oldsmobiles in the garages which makes them OK in my book. Good luck on the job hunt. Go to CSX.com and look under the opportunites tab. We are hiring thanx to Mr Obama and his casual spending habits. They are going to hire a bunch of brand new signal people around in May and June to install positive train control. 4 days a week, they provide the hotel room and $275 a week in purdeuim (untaxed) and pay is $25 an hour 10 hours a day. Good luck on the job hunt. Oldsdroptop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF6482.jpg (84.9 KB, 5 views)
DSCF6480.jpg (109.8 KB, 5 views)
DSCF6479.jpg (129.4 KB, 3 views)
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Classic Car Lover

Thanks guys and gals for the backing; you've convinced me to hang on to it a while longer (maybe 15 or 20 more years haha).
Thanks for the job info OldsDropTop, I'll definitely look into it.

Drive Safe.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:55 AM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by Nighthawk427
Thanks guys and gals for the backing; you've convinced me to hang on to it a while longer (maybe 15 or 20 more years haha).
Thanks for the job info OldsDropTop, I'll definitely look into it.

Drive Safe.
Mission Accomplished fellow Threadsters ....the Olds stays !
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah!!!! That's a good thing!!!