The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hey ClassicOldsmobile from Colorado (I am English!)

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Hey ClassicOldsmobile from Colorado (I am English!)

Hey there ClassicOldsmobile from Grand Junction, CO!!!

I've just joined the forum after a guy on Facebook recommended it to me; I'm the proud owner of a 1975 Cutlass S with 350cu V8. She's a wonderful car, I bought her about a month ago as a daily driver - and she pretty much runs without a hitch!

A bit about me, I'm 21 and a British student studying Tourism Management - I'm currently on a year's academic exchange program to Colorado, and I'm loving American life (plus the opportunity to find some great classic cars! I'm a huge enthusiast!!!). I've wanted to have a classic 60's/70's muscle car for a few years, and the perfect opportunity presented itself to me when I arrived here. On Craigslist in particular!

My future car.jpg

So who else on the forums has a 1975 Cutlass or something similar? And any advice you can give me? It's starting to get pretty chilly now here in Colorado, so I hope that my old girl will continue to run when the snow arrives! I would love to ship her back to the UK when I return home, but need to get some estimates...

Nice meetin y'all!
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Georgek117
any advice you can give me?
Not to drive you away from here, but you might want to check out this site:

http://www.73-77olds.com/

It doesn't get anywhere near the traffic that classicolds does, but it gets enough, and it's specifically devoted to Cutlasses of your era ('73 -'77). In particular, if you need body/trim/etc. parts for your car, which are not made in the aftermarket the way they are for the earlier cars, these guys might know where to find them.
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Administrator

We actually have a number of 73-77's on here and a few from Europe. Welcome to the site. My only suggestions are a good set of snow tires, make sure your antifreeze levels are correct, your heater works, and your battery is good.
Old November 14th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Welcome from the Front Range

Glad to see you here! Plenty of knowledge for Oldsmobile's here.
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:42 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

How does Grand Junction compare with Abergaveny, Banbury or Chester?.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; November 15th, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:11 AM
It's a Cutlass.

Welcome from a fairly long time resident of Colorado. Concur totally with what oldcutlass said as to preparation. We can certainly get some interesting weather here, temp could vary thirty degrees or more day to day. I will say my motorcycle never gets "put up" for the winter, always manage to find a forty five or better degree day every month to ride. After a big snow, the hardest part is getting out of the side streets, the roads are typically kept pretty clear. Cheers!

P.S.
I see you are in Grand Junction. Weather won't be as much of a factor over on the western slope. :-)
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the warm, happily oil-stained welcome guys! You all have some great cars to be proud of I see...hopefully mine can be like those one day.

As for how Grand Junction compares with the dreary likes of Abergavenny, you could say it's a little different. Its good different though, I'm having an amazing time here - plus there's a load of old cars being driven around as daily drivers here so it makes for good fun to see what you can spot. I've seen old first gen mustangs, 60's Caddys, and even a few '82 Vettes.

I'm almost looking forward to coming home and bringing my car with me, just for the bragging rights I'll get!

Nice talkin to you guys!!!
Old November 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum George! Great that you were able to feed your addiction to old cars while visiting America. I'm almost afraid to ask what it costs to ship a car over to Europe from here.
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:38 AM

welcome....

Welcome to co. I would also stock up on the normal use spares while your here, an ship with the car , things like shocks, belts, timing chain , lifters, gaskets, brakes etc, even if they dont need them now youll save later. I dont suspect they will be plentiful in the uk. Nice ride
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to the forum George! Great that you were able to feed your addiction to old cars while visiting America. I'm almost afraid to ask what it costs to ship a car over to Europe from here.
Thanks Darrell, that's a badass ride you got there - I bet it really owns the road! My car actually broke down today as I was driving home to Grand Junction from Salt Lake City, Utah! 50 bucks later at the local mechanic got me a new starter cable - the one installed was completely wrecked and the car would not even start! All sorted now though...

I got a quote from a UK-based importer of which even I'm afraid of speaking aloud (£1600 WITHOUT the hidden costs - for a container!)

George
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Welcome to co. I would also stock up on the normal use spares while your here, an ship with the car , things like shocks, belts, timing chain , lifters, gaskets, brakes etc, even if they dont need them now youll save later. I dont suspect they will be plentiful in the uk. Nice ride
Thanks there Eddie, definitely sounds like a good idea! What car have you got?
Old November 30th, 2014, 05:47 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Georgek117
I got a quote from a UK-based importer of which even I'm afraid of speaking aloud (£1600 WITHOUT the hidden costs - for a container!)George
That sounds about right George, from what I've heard paying a bit extra for a container rather than open deck cargo is good insurance. Especially if you want to load some spares into the car as well.

However, there are plenty who know much more than me on both sides of the pond. Two clubs in the UK, American Auto Club UK and American Auto Club International can give guidance from this end, and there are several UK based members on this forum who I believe have imported cars from North America who might be able to help.
Put up a post, if you don't ask you won't get!.

Roger.
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Welcome to CO and the U.S. George! Was through Grand Junction a few times many years ago and found it to be a nice little town (fairly scenic IIRC). As for the open deck cargo transport, I strongly recommend against it. I worked for a Fiat/Alpha Romeo dealership back in the '70s and saw more than a few brand new cars that were more or less ruined with rust and corrosion due to open deck transport.
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:20 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by FMB42
As for the open deck cargo transport, I strongly recommend against it. I worked for a Fiat/Alpha Romeo dealership back in the '70s and saw more than a few brand new cars that were more or less ruined with rust and corrosion due to open deck transport.
I understood the rust was installed in Turin.

Roger.