The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

help out a gal please

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hey Bluevista - did you make it to Solon? I didn't go tonight. I am thinking about Carnation Mall this weekend - think we could get a convoy of Oldsmobiles together to drive over there? Any others out there in our area planning on going? Weather is supposed to be nice.I don't know what would be the best route from here to Alliance - I'm not real familiar with that area at all.
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Registered Luser

Welcome to the site, and awesome ride! If the interior and engine bay are as nice as the exterior, you should have won several trophies already!!!
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Hey Bluevista - did you make it to Solon? I didn't go tonight. I am thinking about Carnation Mall this weekend - think we could get a convoy of Oldsmobiles together to drive over there? Any others out there in our area planning on going? Weather is supposed to be nice.I don't know what would be the best route from here to Alliance - I'm not real familiar with that area at all.
Convoy?! If I can find an Oldsmobile to drive count me in, otherwise stuck in '03 GP. I call dibs on being the Rubber Duck, "breaker-breaker 1-9 for a squelch check".

I'm not sure if you can get to Alliance from where you are Cutlassgal.

It may not be the most direct route or even the right direction but the only way I know.
Go south down route 44 for about an hour until you hit State St. in Alliance (route 173). Turn left (east) and a little way up it will turn into West State St. and the mall is on the right. I would double check these directions and map it out on Mapquest or something, I get lost all the time.
BTW, You go straight through Ravenna instead of the freeway bypass. Ahter you hit Main St. turn left go up a block and turn right down South Prospect which turns back into 44.
My wife knows how to get there so I really don't worry about it too much, ignorance is bliss.

My fuel tank will be in the shop so the Vista Cruiser isn't going anywhere for a while or I would be taking it. It's parked under my GTO which is up on the lift (be a real problem parking under it if it wasn't) so that's stuck too.

I was at Solon for a little while, I walked ten miles to get there since my cars are stuck.
There weren't a lot of cars at Solon other than the Corvettes for their night. I made the rounds and split at about 7:30.

Good question about the sealer, that is an area that rust can start and a sealer or putty around those screws wouldn't be a bad idea.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; August 11th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Captain of my ship

trim

All I did was take off my wheel well trimm and clean them up then put them back on. When you take them off make sure you clean up the area covered by the trim and make sure there is no rust starting around the screw holes on both sides. I just got some new stainless screws to put on the trim after I cleaned them. As far as the headlight bezels go I don't think you can do to much to shine them up other than taking them off and sending them away to paint or chrome.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Welcome to the site, and awesome ride! If the interior and engine bay are as nice as the exterior, you should have won several trophies already!!!
Thanks! Like I said, lots of compliments - no trophy Her interior is immaculate - dark green brocade seats, carpet... the "back" dash (I don't know the official name) is starting to flake a little. Too many years of sun I suppose. I keep a towel over it onto the top of the back seats mostly. That is something else I will get a replacement and have put on eventually!
I crawl under the hood and clean her engine bay the best I can! I use McGuires Vinyl and Rubber cleaner on her hoses and the wheel wells. They look nice! I read about that on another site. I'm not sure what the judges look for, but I don't see why I don't have at least a 3rd or 4th place trophy! Oh well, good things come to those who wait...
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I'm not sure what the judges look for, but I don't see why I don't have at least a 3rd or 4th place trophy! Oh well, good things come to those who wait...
It seems to come down to personal choice unless you go to one that uses a points system. I just did one of those point type last weekend at the Olds Club of Canada show. I was susprised at how many things they check. They had a total of 1000 points for a "perfect" car.

All the other shows I go to are people who volunteer or work at the show and have to choose their favourite based on the classes they set out. With my car, I'm usually mixed in with all the other 60s cars and it can be very tough to make your car stand out versus a 442, GTO or Impala. Yours could be in the same group as Challengers, Cudas, etc. so the competition will be tough as well.

Don't let it get you down. The car is special to the person who means most and eventually the awards will come. All it takes is one judge to fall in love with your car and you'll have the award!
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Cutlass Lover

True! This last show I was put between a 57 chevy and a 67 Impala! The 57 got a top 20 plaque - I was jealous! It was a beautiful car though. But doesn't trying to keep things "original" count for anything? I notice they seem to like a lot of chrome under the hood.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM

True! This last show I was put between a 57 chevy and a 67 Impala! The 57 got a top 20 plaque - I was jealous! It was a beautiful car though. But doesn't trying to keep things "original" count for anything? I notice they seem to like a lot of chrome under the hood.
The 57 is a beauty for sure.

I am like you. I try to keep my car as original in appearance as I can. Some judges however do go for the custom chrome look. It's all show dependent. Some will make custom cars go in their own category.

The awards I won prior to this past weekend at the OCC were because my car was so different and original. As long as your car stands out from the rest, you're well on the way. With the way your car looks, it should definately grab attention!
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by 1964CutlassSC
The 57 is a beauty for sure.

I am like you. I try to keep my car as original in appearance as I can. Some judges however do go for the custom chrome look. It's all show dependent. Some will make custom cars go in their own category.

The awards I won prior to this past weekend at the OCC were because my car was so different and original. As long as your car stands out from the rest, you're well on the way. With the way your car looks, it should definately grab attention!
Thanks!