The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

HELP OLDS EXPERTS! '62 vs. '63 CUTLASS TRANNIES

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM

HELP OLDS EXPERTS! '62 vs. '63 CUTLASS TRANNIES

help! i'm trying to locate a '62 olds cutlass f-85 convertible auto (hydramatic) transmission for a friend in florida. i spoke to a parts locator, who found only 2 in the country available (thru salvage yards). one for a '62, the other for a '63. he read in some parts book that the two years are interchangeable, which i find hard to believe, given the different body styles. could someone on here pls. let me know if this is the case. he did say that if i were to put a '63 transmission into a '62 that it would need different rear brg's and retainers. i'm by no means a mechanic. would that be difficult (particularly for a non-transmission expert located in key west, fl!)
thanks SO much!
best,
jimmy
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 62CUTLASSINKEYWEST
help! i'm trying to locate a '62 olds cutlass f-85 convertible auto (hydramatic) transmission for a friend in florida. i spoke to a parts locator, who found only 2 in the country available (thru salvage yards). one for a '62, the other for a '63. he read in some parts book that the two years are interchangeable, which i find hard to believe, given the different body styles. could someone on here pls. let me know if this is the case. he did say that if i were to put a '63 transmission into a '62 that it would need different rear brg's and retainers. i'm by no means a mechanic. would that be difficult (particularly for a non-transmission expert located in key west, fl!)
thanks SO much!
best,
jimmy
Don't let the different styling fool you. The 61-63 cars are basically the same. All are 112" wheel base and (believe it or not) are based on the Corvair platform. The Tempest actually used the Covair transaxle with a front mounted engine. The Olds and Buick versions were conventional front engine and trans. The 63 transmission will work fine.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM

thanks, joe...i've been told that the '62 (and '63) olds' auto (hydramatic) transmissions were 3 spd. i hope that's right, as well...thanks again! best, jimmy