The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from NJ

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2017, 06:28 PM
PDamiani488

Hello from NJ

Hey everyone.
Just recently bought myself a 1983 Delta 88 Royale Brougham with 79k miles. Overall it's in nice shape. It's light blue/grey metallic, with a dark blue half vinyl top, and light blue interior. It runs pretty well considering the carburetor is gummed up. It hesitates a lot and doesn't have much power. I sprayed it out and didn't see much of a difference. So far I've changed the distributor cap and rotor, wires, plugs, PCV, crankcase breather, EGR valve, belts, and I've ordered a rebuilt carburetor.
Other than that, it mostly needs a few cosmetic things. It currently has an ugly set of Rallye wheels on it. I'm assuming they're aftermarket and not GM. I bought a set of 15" stock rims to change them out. I have a set of wire spoke hubcaps, but they have a lot of rash on them. Still hawking eBay for a nice set.
One thing in particular I'm looking for is a new chime module box. I searched about 20 Delta 88's in the junkyards and it was a no go. This module has two sets of wires coming off the red box. One goes in the fuse block, and one has a two prong plug that connects to a harness on the side of where the box plugs in. The box itself has four prongs. I took it apart and found that there's a small ceramic looking disk that cracked on the board, and the board around it looks burnt. I found a module on eBay that says it fits a Caprice and a few Pontiac models. It looks identical only it's blue. I imagine it wont sound the same as the Olds chimes though. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement module, I'd gladly appreciate it.
The interior is really nice. It has the pillow seats, no burns or rips. The headliner is sagging, but that's easy to fix. There's a minor crack in the vinyl on the dash by the driver's side speaker grille. Some of the chrome lip around the steering wheel is cracked and missing. Other than those flaws, it's really decent for it's age. No stains or musty smells.
As for the body, it looks as if it was repainted, and had a new vinyl top installed. At first glance, it looks really nice, but upon further inspection, it doesn't look like whoever painted it did that great of a job. The quarter window moldings were put back on with that black windshield glue slathered all over the place, and one of them came off. I have it in the trunk right now. The rocker panels were 3M taped back on because they broke the clips. I also noticed the bumper fillers are all chipped up so they didn't do something right when prepping the plastic I imagine. Other than the flaws I've mentioned it actually looks pretty good. The chrome is all intact, and has minimal pitting. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so I pick everything apart haha. That being said, I still get lots of compliments when fueling up at the gas station.
I'm glad I found this site. I'm hoping to make some good connections, and learn from everyone. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds.jpg (756.1 KB, 23 views)
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:06 PM

Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile.You will find out that this site is a great place to be if you have questions and need good answers. I always enjoyed driving the Delta Broughams and especially liked the look of the coupes. Larry
Old April 1st, 2017, 07:50 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Nice looking Delta... As for your current wheels, it appears they are Buick sport wheels and not aftermarket... If you think you are interested in purchasing some wire wheel covers, I have some NOS ones I will consider selling in the $250 price range... Do you have the locking retainers for the covers? How far are you located from the Albany, NY area?
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:01 PM
PDamiani488

Thanks.
I would be interested in the wire wheel covers. I have the locking retainers but I'm missing the key. I might be better off getting new ones. I know they made different patterns for the locks and keys. NY is sort of far from here. I'm in the Toms River area. I'm going to look for tires as well. I don't want these Firestones. They're newer but they're not whitewalls.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:07 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by pdamiani488
Thanks.
I would be interested in the wire wheel covers. I have the locking retainers but I'm missing the key. I might be better off getting new ones. I know they made different patterns for the locks and keys. NY is sort of far from here. I'm in the Toms River area. I'm going to look for tires as well. I don't want these Firestones. They're newer but they're not whitewalls.
Let me know if you can't find some decent wheel covers in your area to avoid shipping costs... If you don't find anything closer to you, I will pull mine from storage and send you some photos... As for the locks and key, check for the code on the end of the locking bolt, that will correspond to a matching key... If I don't have a matching key, I may be able to come up with the correct part number to help you find one, or even find a new set of matching bolts & key....
Old April 3rd, 2017, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by pdamiani488
Thanks.
i have some of those keys,if you have the letter code from the retainer.jc
Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:44 AM
Olds Collector

Hello: Welcome to the site. There are many people here willing to help you, it is a great resource. The first things for you to check is if your timing chain and gear were replaced in the past. With those low miles, I figure your car may have not had this repair done. Olds installed in most V8's a cam timing gear with plastic teeth that wear and break. When you talk about low power and running rough this comes to my mind. Check receipts that came with your car. If this has not been done it might be worth doing the job to be sure. It is not an easy repair, but better than the alternative. As far as the bumper fillers, they just go bad over time. I was able to repair the ones on my 79 Toronado and they came out nice but not perfect. There are places that sell them in aftermarket ABS plastic that will likely crack and break when hit and not bounce back like the originals. However, they look better than shot originals. There are different makers, so be care full about checking fit before you buy. I am a big fan of 77-96 full size GM cars/wagons. We had new: 78/79/80 Delta Royal Broughams and more recently I had a 84 98 Regency four door. They ride so nice and can carry a good load. I wish you the best with your new car and see you again on the site. Take care, Trent in Los Angeles

Last edited by vistacruiser1971; April 3rd, 2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling