The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from MI. too

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

Hello from MI. too

Im new here & I have a 70 Cutlass CV. I've had it for 6 years now. The posted picture is from the day I got the car. Im currently redoing my interior (keeping stock pattern just upgraded the material). I've completely redone the suspension, added 20x10 & 19x8 Bonspeed polished wheels, Grant steering wheel, a little engine work (rebuilt carb, tune up, wires) engine is more of next years project. Really excited about the interior though. I took everything out last week. Next gonna get the floor pan in order (light surface rust) then add FatMat along w/new carpet. I also need to reset the seat and move it back about 4-5" (any tips, advice?) I'm 6'4" so i really need more leg room. I was going to have that done professionally but tips are still welcome.
I'll post pics once I get it pulled out the garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
4.jpg (34.7 KB, 24 views)
6.jpg (2.7 KB, 74 views)
7.jpg (40.8 KB, 21 views)
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM

Very nice ride. Another one from Michigan! Woo Hoo! second one today. Welcome, you will really enjoy this site.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:04 AM

Welcome to CO, 80CCV! Very nice lookin' ride. Am curious as to what she will look like w/the new rims/tires.........pictures when you get it done. Don't think it'll be my cup of tea, but to each his own.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Registered

Welcome.

I don't think they designed these cars for anybody over six feet tall.
At least with a bench seat, never tried one with buckets.
I'm 6'2 and I fit in my '68 GTO with buckets fine though.
You can move the seat back about 2 inches with brackets.
The floorpan slopes down behind the mounts and even with the 2" brackets they're hanging out in mid-air a little bit, anymore would be getting really flaky and not structurally sound.
I guess you could weld something up but the seat belt mount locations are the problem, unless you have a pro move those back properly too.
The seat belt mount geometry is thrown way off and gets where it could be unsafe because the retractor is right next to you or forward instead of behind you a little on the side. The rear mounts would be underneath the seat and coming around the seat bottom in the back, probably not good in a crash.
In mine you would looking out the back door window if the seat went back four inches, have a pillar next to you too.
They sell the brackets on evilbay sometimes, all they are is a piece of heavy gauge flat steel with a hole at each end, one hole has to be offset for the seat bracket, forget if it's front or rear.
You bolt the front end to the floor then bolt the seat through the rear hole.
The problem is that adjuster on the side will be behind the seat belt retractor all the way back and may rub it, tough to get too and a real pain.

I had the brackets in mine and got tired of my wife having trouble moving the seat so I converted my bench to power, it's also much cooler and doing it for her was cost justification too.
I has to go in the factory location for all kinds of reasons but being able to tilt it down all the way in the back gives you more room and makes it about the same as the relocation brackets, maybe just a little less room.
The power seat tracks have different floor mounts in the rear that have to be fabricated or obtained from a parts car and welded in.
The motor deal and tracks bolt right to a regular bench seat, the switch bracket can be a challenge to get in but I did it.
Cutting the hole for the switch in my thousand dollar hand-made original NOS vinyl trim shop duplicated seat cover was the scariest part.

To free up a lot more legroom you really need to put in a tilt steering column.
The column shift type aren't expensive and it's an easy job, makes a lot of difference, much cooler too.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:26 PM

I'm 6' 3" and I've had a 68 Supreme 4-door with bench, a 70 and a 71 Supreme convertible with bench seats, and currently a '68 S convertible with buckets and I've not had any trouble with the seats not going back far enough. Are you sure yours just isn't binding on something?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
.... Are you sure yours just isn't binding on something?

I dont believe so, Im a pretty mechanical kinda guy & I didnt notice nor see any binding when I took the seats out last week. When I get them back I,ll go over them again to be sure.

Another thing is , even though we're close in height, our proportions may be different (meaning torso v. leg length)
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Welcome.

...They sell the brackets on evilbay sometimes, all they are is a piece of heavy gauge flat steel with a hole at each end, one hole has to be offset for the seat bracket, forget if it's front or rear.
You bolt the front end to the floor then bolt the seat through the rear hole.
BVista, trying to find the kind of bracket you're talking about, not sure if this is the one because this just says convert from bench to bucket. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanx for the feedback
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:49 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I see Blue is helping ya out. Watch out for his alter ego Red Goat. He's a trouble maker.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Olds Nut

nice car
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:36 PM

Well, I am only 5'8" and I have my 72 buckets all the way back. Perfect for me, however my brother inlaw is 6'2" and asked me if they would go back further for him.
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:18 AM

Welcome to the site!
Have fun with the interior job; I know I sure did.........
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Welcome to the site!
Have fun with the interior job; I know I sure did.........

Im sure I will , although I dont think Ill get as extensive as you did (I love it though) I do like the heated seats, can you tell me more? placement of the mats, cost, brand , difficulty in installing (I dont do any wiring , probably have it professionally done). I read your interior install thread, VERY VERY NICE.

Im also trying to find a safe way to get some xtra leg with a bench seat move back. (looking for ideals & pics)
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM

Many thanks...
I did go a little overboard, but figured "while I am at it......."
The seatheaters were by roadwire - see them here:
http://www.roadwire.com/products3.html
I ~think~ I have the carbon fibre ones, as they are bigger.
My upholstery shop ordered them - they were $200 total for parts, 0 for labor since he was already recovering the seats.
Not sure exactly how he installed them, other than to arrange the pads to put the most heat to my body, meaning the narrow sides to the left and right.
I wired them like the rear defroster, details are in my thread.

The bench seat tends to hang up on the tranny tunnel in the back. I used some 1/2" metal spacers and longer bolts to hold the seat a little higher - I think the bench sags in the center after heavy use.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Any photos of where the seat heaters switch was mounted?
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 70CCV
Any photos of where the seat heaters switch was mounted?
Right here, from page 2 of the interior makeover:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post55927