The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from England...

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Hello from England...

Lifelong American car nut, after a long search, I've just taken delivery of a super nice restored '58 Ninety Eight convertible that needs finishing.

Looking for a few detail parts for the car and possibly a bit of direction.

Is there a '58 Historian who I can contact regarding history?

Looking forwards to chatting with everyone!

Best regards,

BB
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Talking Welcome to CO

BB,

There are a lot of guys on this forum with experience in the different years of Oldsmobiles. Not sure if there is a 58 historian on site or not, but ask your questions and we will do our best to find you the answers.

A 1958 "98" convert sounds like a great project post some pictures so we can take a look see
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Captain of my ship

Welcome

Absolutely we need to see pics as soon as you can. There are a few guys who know lots about these cars and can find any info you need to know.citcapp is one who may be able to help you out and there are others who love those 50's Olds ( who wouldn't ). I am sure others will chime in soon with warm welcomes
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Battersea Boys
Is there a '58 Historian who I can contact regarding history?
Here's a tiny bit of information.

1958 Series 98 convertible
production: 5,605
base price: $4,300
wheelbase: 126.5 inches
length: 216.7 inches
weight: 4,504 lbs
engine: 371 cubic inch V-8 with 305 hp in the standard version or 312 hp with the J-2 option (three two-barrel carburetors)

On April 8, 1958, the four-millionth Olds to be equipped with the Hydra-Matic drive came off the assembly line. (Not sure if yours is the one!)

1958 was a one-off styling year in that changes were relatively major from 1957, with the most noticeable probably being the switch to quad headlights and considerably more chrome (and called the "Chromesmobile" by some). Body styling would change dramatically again for 1959.

Also available in 1958 was an air-suspension option called "New-Matic Ride" which proved to be troublesome. Conventional coil springs were replaced with rubberized "bladders" or bags inflated by an under-hood air compressor. There was also an air-pressure storage tank and leveling controls to keep the ride height level under varying load conditions. The trouble with the system was that water would accumulate in the tanks and plumbing, and, in winter, freeze, and the system wouldn't work. (Does your car possibly have this?)
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Here's a tiny bit of information.

1958 Series 98 convertible
production: 5,605
base price: $4,300
wheelbase: 126.5 inches
length: 216.7 inches
weight: 4,504 lbs
engine: 371 cubic inch V-8 with 305 hp in the standard version or 312 hp with the J-2 option (three two-barrel carburetors)

On April 8, 1958, the four-millionth Olds to be equipped with the Hydra-Matic drive came off the assembly line. (Not sure if yours is the one!)

1958 was a one-off styling year in that changes were relatively major from 1957, with the most noticeable probably being the switch to quad headlights and considerably more chrome (and called the "Chromesmobile" by some). Body styling would change dramatically again for 1959.

Also available in 1958 was an air-suspension option called "New-Matic Ride" which proved to be troublesome. Conventional coil springs were replaced with rubberized "bladders" or bags inflated by an under-hood air compressor. There was also an air-pressure storage tank and leveling controls to keep the ride height level under varying load conditions. The trouble with the system was that water would accumulate in the tanks and plumbing, and, in winter, freeze, and the system wouldn't work. (Does your car possibly have this?)

No air ride... probably not a bad thing!

My vin is 589M01001 Body L 1 built Oct 3rd '57

Stupid question maybe BUT, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows/remembers the first 98 off the line in Lancing - a long shot I know but any info would be of interest!
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM

My vin is 589M01001 Body L 1 built Oct 3rd '57
This decodes simply to 1958 Oldsmobile 98 built at Lansing, Michigan.

Stupid question maybe BUT, I'm trying to find out if anyone knows/remembers the first 98 off the line in Lancing - a long shot I know but any info would be of interest!
With that VIN serial number (01001), YOURS could be the first off the line. Those production sequence numbers did not usually start at zero. In fact, they would often vary from plant to plant, so the Lansing plant might start 100001, the Kansas City plant at 200001, Linden, New Jersey at 300001, etc. Your last five digits of 01001 at least LOOK like they could be the starting sequence for that plant that year. "Body L 1" sounds like the first body built at the Lansing plant. Being built so early in the model year is consistent with this. But what are the odds? Could your car really be the first 1958 model to come off the Lansing line? What a find that would be!

You said you searched a long time for the car. If you don't mind the question, where, exactly, did you get it?

Last edited by jaunty75; October 27th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:10 AM

Hi,

Yes, it is the first car off the line in Lancing and as far as we know was delivered directly to GM in Canada.

I've never seen factory pics of a Festival Red 98 convertible hence why I am trying to find a historian that has researched the '58's.

I bought it from a friend of mine in Edmonton AB who has owned it for many years - in fact it has been a local car for the last 25-30 years at least!

I wondered if anyone knows when/if there was an auto show in Canada around October '57? The car didn't have E-Z-Eye glass from the factory (it does now) which is conducive with an auto show car and was of course fairly unusual on a 98 I believe.

I'd really like to piece togather some early history!
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:11 AM

Here is the car...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
picture.jpg (49.6 KB, 30 views)
picture (2).jpg (38.2 KB, 29 views)
picture (3).jpg (52.6 KB, 25 views)
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

S-W-E-E-T

Jaunty75

Are you sure about that base price? In 58 I could buy a house for that much money.
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Yes, it is the first car off the line in Lancing and as far as we know was delivered directly to GM in Canada.
This is as cool as you can get! How many other first-off-the-assembly-line cars from that era still exist? Was it common for manufacturers to set those aside and preserve them? Overall, I doubt it, but it might have happened now and then.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Are you sure about that base price? In 58 I could buy a house for that much money.
That's what it says in Helen Earley's "Setting the Pace." It's not all that surprising when you think about it. We're talking the top-of-the-line body style in the top-of-the-line model that Oldsmobile made that year. There was not a more expensive Oldsmobile in 1958 than the 98 Convertible. I don't have the book in front of me as I'm writing this, but a mid-line 88 sedan would have been considerably less ($3000?). A Chevy Bel Air of that year was, what, maybe $2,500?

It's not so hard to see $4,000 for a 98 convertible in comparison to these prices. As a fraction of an average yearly income in those days, it was huge I'm sure. Not many were produced. It's no different today. Oldsmobile is gone, but what fraction of the average annual income in this country does it take to buy a Cadillac today? These are niche cars, not mass-market.

I mentioned total 98 convertible production above at 5,605. Total Olds production that year was just about 300,000. So 98 convertibles were less than 2% of all Oldsmobiles made. Definitely not where Oldsmobile's profit center was!
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:11 AM

Thanks!

The thinking between my friend Rod who restored it and myself is that they would have just wanted to get it built, shaken down and out of the door asap.

What I'd like to find out is IF other plants built 98 convertibles and if so, when their production started etc. I pressume Lancing would have been the main plant and therefore first but...

It obviously wasn't one of the 'Bridge' cars - I'm just wondering if there was a big auto show in Canada during October, whether the car would have been on display!

As I understand, Oldsmobile/GM in Canada do have factory records of cars so I will write to them and see if they have any info!

I am as pleased as punch to have this car!
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Captain of my ship

Very nice

I would be pleased as punch to own that car as well battersea. By the way what is the name battersea boys about? I have heard it before but can't put my finger or mind on it.
I like all the chrome down the side , could you post pics of the front and back of the car? Just that I love the styling of those big cars of the late 50's. Thanks
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:50 AM

What I'd like to find out is IF other plants built 98 convertibles and if so, when their production started etc. I pressume Lancing would have been the main plant and therefore first but...
A good question. I don't know when Oldsmobile production moved to plants other than Lansing. In 1958, it still might have been the case that all Oldsmobiles were built there. I'm sure someone else on here will know. I'm guessing Earley's book would certainly mention when Oldsmobile starting producing cars at other plants, and I'd have to read through it.

As I understand, Oldsmobile/GM in Canada do have factory records of cars so I will write to them and see if they have any info!
Make sure to let us know what you find out.
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Thanks Wolfman!

The 'jewelery' from each 'end' isn't fitted yet but I will be posting pics when it's ready! I agree, the chrome overload on this car is too much!

The Battersea Boys name is one that me and my brother share on all forums that we go on so you may have seen it around- Batterea is an area of London, close to centre and just south of the Thames where we grew up!

Best,

BB
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Trying to remember member

With that VIN serial number (01001), YOURS could be the first off the line. Those production sequence numbers did not usually start at zero. In fact, they would often vary from plant to plant, so the Lansing plant might start 100001, the Kansas City plant at 200001, Linden, New Jersey at 300001, etc. Your last five digits of 01001 at least LOOK like they could be the starting sequence for that plant that year.
I know other years Chassis Service Maunuals have the production plants starting numbers, so 1958s may also.

Thanks!.............

I am as pleased as punch to have this car!
'58s are sooooooo cool! And they are incredible in red! One of my favorites are red '58 wagons!
Pics are of another red '58 convertible. Very nice gentleman from Pittsburgh, Pa.
Attached Images
08.25.08 110.jpg (101.9 KB, 15 views)
08.25.08 109.jpg (100.7 KB, 14 views)
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Captain of my ship

Looking forward to those pics , do you have all the chrome ?
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:17 AM

A good question. I don't know when Oldsmobile production moved to plants other than Lansing. In 1958, it still might have been the case that all Oldsmobiles were built there. I'm sure someone else on here will know. I'm guessing Earley's book would certainly mention when Oldsmobile starting producing cars at other plants, and I'd have to read through it.

Make sure to let us know what you find out.
- Yes, they built them at several plates according to my book - which would explain the 'L' in the body number!

I will absolutely keep the site posted as I glean info!
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by wmachine
I know other years Chassis Service Maunuals have the production plants starting numbers, so 1958s may also.

'58s are sooooooo cool! And they are incredible in red! One of my favorites are red '58 wagons!
Pics are of another red '58 convertible. Very nice gentleman from Pittsburgh, Pa.
How cool is that back end with the chrome around the taillights going down to the bumper!! What a sweet ride.
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:57 AM

- Yes, they built them at several plates according to my book - which would explain the 'L' in the body number
Good point. Hadn't thought of that. No point in indicating the assembly plant if there was only one.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum! There were three 58's at our show this year. One hard top, one convertible and one Fiesta with serial number 001. See the Northern Lights website below to view.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Trying to remember member

- Yes, they built them at several plates according to my book - which would explain the 'L' in the body number!
Actually, you'd have that L in the body number even if it was the only plant at which they were made.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Telecom Guru

I can see where the "Chromesmobile" moniker came from. Those were the days when more was more. At least with American cars. So nice to see one of the more over-the-top examples from the era preserved.

Is the car in England now? Or still in Canada? Just curious what a challenge it is driving such a big car on English roads. I only know what I've seen on Television (Top Gear is the best show on TV, IMO) but it seems they tend to be pretty narrow other than the motorways.
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:33 AM

I heard about that 01001 wagon - a friend of mine from England was at that show - it looks fantastic!

I think the point about the L in the body number being there regardless is correct since it needed to cover all models and body styles!

I personally am not a fan of T*p Gear - I hate all the carefully rehearsed 'ad libs' and Clarkson's jibes at cars which are done for TV effect but cost car companies millions in lost sales because so many people think he is serious - the show has kind of run it's course now... **sorry - rant over** Getting back to the original question - yes the roads here are a bit narrower and twisty turny however they are still big enough to accomodate the biggest of land yachts (48 ton 60 foot long articulted lorry's use tha same roads!)

The car is en route to England right now!
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Telecom Guru

I heard about that 01001 wagon - a friend of mine from England was at that show - it looks fantastic!

I think the point about the L in the body number being there regardless is correct since it needed to cover all models and body styles!

I personally am not a fan of T*p Gear - I hate all the carefully rehearsed 'ad libs' and Clarkson's jibes at cars which are done for TV effect but cost car companies millions in lost sales because so many people think he is serious - the show has kind of run it's course now... **sorry - rant over** Getting back to the original question - yes the roads here are a bit narrower and twisty turny however they are still big enough to accomodate the biggest of land yachts (48 ton 60 foot long articulted lorry's use tha same roads!)

The car is en route to England right now!
Clearly you aren't aware how hard up we are for decent televsion in the States. Clarkson does annoy me at times, especially with his incessant cracks about fat Americans. And yes, it's clearly rehearsed, but it's still far more clever than most of what we get on this side of the pond. I generally pay little attention to the car reviews since most of what they test is prohibitively expensive or not available here. The goofy challenges are more what I find entertaining.

Anyway, back on topic - Gorgeous car! It would be unique here, so I have to think it'll stand out even more over there.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Welcome to the forum.Great looking resto project you have there.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:07 PM

That red really pops. I assume the J2 is the original carb setup that came with the car, what other options does it have? What a great find
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Actually it didn't come with J2 - it has Speed Sentinel, Trans Portable, power antenna and Autronic eye!

I'm adding connie kit and skirts!

BB
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM

The connie Kit will make it look even longer then it is. I am a fan of connie kits heres my 57 with a connie kit
Attached Images
DSCN0734.jpg (60.5 KB, 9 views)
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Very nice - I love the 57 roofline!

yes, I agree - I have kits on a few cars and I think the 58 is crying out for it!

I want a specific one though - one manufacturer did chrome bumper extensions for a 58 - I don't believe Continental Enterprises do them - I've seen them on a green 59 98 convertible in Sweden along with a tyre cover that has a pressed in centre and an Olds crest about 10 inches in diameter! I'd really like to find these parts!