The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
U C rust, I C restoration

Hello from Edmonton

Hi my names Miranda,
I'm originally from Port Kells British Columbia but currently live in Edmonton Alberta. I have a 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S named Daisy! She's a working progress but I wouldn't sell her if my life depended on it.. She's a little rough around the edges but she drives like a champ. My husband thinks i'm crazy but thats okay.. Grew up around classic trucks (1967-72 Chevy/GMC) and muscle cars my whole life. Its just who I am. So my problem is that I moved to Edmonton and don't even know where to start with the car scene.. Is anyone on this site from Edmonton? If not thats okay your all Olds fans which means your all awesome!
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Justin

Welcome ! Post some pics up when you have time
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Welcome to the site, few guys on here from oil country
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Randy C.

Nothin' better than a '68, in my humble, unbiased opinion! Show it to us when you can post some pics - we love to see!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0730111147a.jpg (70.7 KB, 23 views)
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:38 PM

Welcome Miranda to the site and to Edmonton. Your shoulders and arms are sure to get stronger from shovelling all the snow. There are drop in car shows in Edmonton just about everyday of the week starting in the spring. A great local Oldsmobile club to join is the Oldsmobile Northern Lights chapter and it can be a good source of parts. Hopefully you post some pictures soon.
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Welcome Miranda, in case you didn't know, we like pictures.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM

hi

Welcome fellow Albertan!
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Welcome to CO

you'll find lots of fellow Canadians on this site and a number of them not to far away from you. X+ on some pictures of your ride
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM

We really want to see your work in progress.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Daisy Dixie
So my problem is that I moved to Edmonton and don't even know where to start with the car scene.. Is anyone on this site from Edmonton?
Hi Miranda and welcome aboard. Yup, there's a few of us in the Edmonton/St. Albert/Sh. Park area so you're not alone. I'm in Elsinore, where abouts are you?

BTW, this weather we're having is typical of the region so I hope you can live with it. A nice good sized heated garage would be uber cool. LOL, my wife wants us to move to BC to get away from this and I'm pretty much in agreement with her.

As the others said, we'd love to see pics of your ride; 68 was the transition year on the the A body styling that my car evolved to. I checked out your profile page and from what I can see the car looks to be in pretty decent condition overall? Mostly surface patina? Looks like the Cutlass S Holiday coupe. If that's the original color (I'm guessing either Sapphire blue or Teal Frost) it will show DD or FF on the cowl tag next to the PNT code.

There is also an Olds club here; Northern Lights Oldsmobile, which you can google and join if you want. They have a quarterly publication that has some good tips and part sourcing info. They also have an ALL Oldsmobile show every July down in the town of Olds, AB if you have Daisy ready to rock and roll by then. Hoping to have mine ready for the show this year too.

Good news about your parts dilemma? There are plenty of 68-72 Cutlass parts available now with the increase in vendors catering to the car hobby market.
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Welcome. Pics definitely good. Lots of great info on CO to read about & X2 on the Northern Lights Olds club http://www.oldsnorthernlights.com/. They are based out of Edmonton. Another good link to keep an eye on is the Northwest Cruise Calendar http://www.members.shaw.ca/calgarycc/. It lists pretty much all of the car shows, swap meets, etc. throughout Alberta & BC during the year. The Rocket Roundup is a good one to go to in Olds,AB every July.
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Welcome aboard!
Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM

Miranda,
Welcome to the site. Nice to see you have a 1968 of your own.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Welcome aboard Miranda. I too have a soft spot for the muscle cars as well as the 67 - 72 Chevy trucks I have a '67 stepside that I bought in high school and still own to this day
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Miranda!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Welcome from PoCo!
I grew up in Ontario so I know all about snow....
Old January 4th, 2014, 03:16 PM

Wow thanks for the loving welcome guys!Sorry it took so long to reply I was back in Bc visiting family for Christmas i'm def a newbie cuz i'm having trouble loading my pictures...
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM

I'm drop dead middle of Edmonton by the old airport.. Kingsway area
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome back to the land of the ice and snow. Hope your Christmas holidays were great!

To install pics, choose the 'Go advanced' button below the message dialogue box. then clik on the 'paper clip' and follow the on screen prompts to surf to your stored pics on the puter. Upload them and they'll appear at the bottom of your post when you hit the 'submit post' button. Just make sure the pics aren't ultra high resolution. The server on CO will accept 1024x768, but not high res. See how it works out. If you were able to install your avatar, you'll be able to install the pics.

So which direction from NAIT? The airport is now officially closed and there's a new LRT line scheduled to open in your area sometime in May/June.
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hi Miranda and welcome aboard. Yup, there's a few of us in the Edmonton/St. Albert/Sh. Park area so you're not alone. I'm in Elsinore, where abouts are you?

BTW, this weather we're having is typical of the region so I hope you can live with it. A nice good sized heated garage would be uber cool. LOL, my wife wants us to move to BC to get away from this and I'm pretty much in agreement with her.

As the others said, we'd love to see pics of your ride; 68 was the transition year on the the A body styling that my car evolved to. I checked out your profile page and from what I can see the car looks to be in pretty decent condition overall? Mostly surface patina? Looks like the Cutlass S Holiday coupe. If that's the original color (I'm guessing either Sapphire blue or Teal Frost) it will show DD or FF on the cowl tag next to the PNT code.

There is also an Olds club here; Northern Lights Oldsmobile, which you can google and join if you want. They have a quarterly publication that has some good tips and part sourcing info. They also have an ALL Oldsmobile show every July down in the town of Olds, AB if you have Daisy ready to rock and roll by then. Hoping to have mine ready for the show this year too.

Good news about your parts dilemma? There are plenty of 68-72 Cutlass parts available now with the increase in vendors catering to the car hobby market.
Does the Northern lights chapter have any monthly meetings? I'd like to come to one and check it out of you do.. I grew up going to the BC Oldsmobile club meetings so it would be nice to get back into it again
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM

ps. I made an album on my account.. Go check it out :P
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't think so. I dropped out of their club a couple years back to work on my restoration. Send Ken Pilidis an email ( president@oldsclub.ca ) and you could ask. Might be a novel way to get more people out here together.

So you "Wanna go fast"?? I just looked at your album. The fenders and quarter panels need help, but good news is there's 68/69 quarter panels and fender patch panels being made for these cars. You'll likely also need inner/outer wheel well housings. If the trunk floors need help? The drop down and trunk floors are reproduced now too.

Oh yeah, gotta get rid of those chevy wheels....
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:20 PM

The nova wheels came on the car but I have a set of stock rims and rallys. I have both rear quarter panels and the front left quarter as well. Now is just saving up money and trying to find a good body and paint guy.. Any suggestions?
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:50 PM

Hi From Ontario

Hi Daisy Dixie: Welcome to the Classic Oldsmobile Forum! Great people and good information can be found here.
I was going to warn you about Allan R but I see that he has allready made his presence known. Allan R is the type of guy who travels to Mexico in the middle of winter, for God knows what!
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Hi Daisy Dixie: Welcome to the Classic Oldsmobile Forum! Great people and good information can be found here.
I was going to warn you about Allan R but I see that he has allready made his presence known. Allan R is the type of guy who travels to Mexico in the middle of winter, for God knows what!
Have you ever been to mexico before?
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Who Me?

Have you ever been to mexico before?
Daisy Dixie:
Who? Me? I haven't been to Mexico before but I've seen pictures heard their music. I'll let Allan R report on his trip (if he returns.)
Good Luck Allan!

Last edited by Jaybird; January 4th, 2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:55 AM

Does the Northern lights chapter have any monthly meetings? I'd like to come to one and check it out of you do.. I grew up going to the BC Oldsmobile club meetings so it would be nice to get back into it again
Ken can definitely give you all the info for club events, etc. The one to look forward to is the Rocket Roundup every July in Olds, AB.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have both rear quarter panels and the front left quarter as well. Now is just saving up money and trying to find a good body and paint guy.. Any suggestions?
Hi Daisy, the 'front left quarter' is called a fender. Looking at your pics, I really think all you need is a patch panel at the bottom of the left and right ones. Much less work than replacing fenders. Where did you buy the sheet metal from? I have a feeling you will need much more than quarter panels on the rear of the car. As you probably know, bodywork out here is pricey. Shops that specialize in restoration of old cars also specialize in parting $$$ from your bank account. The car hobby is expensive so you really need to set out a plan for the car. You might get some leads off the NLCO chapter news letter. It's free - just have to send Ken a request and he'll send it to you.

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Allan R is the type of guy who travels to Mexico in the middle of winter, for God knows what!
Yer kidding me right? For what? For some decent weather my friend. This is a planned holiday for my Missus, and God knows she deserves it. It's the first time we're going there together so it should be a fantastic trip.

Originally Posted by rcrac3r
Ken can definitely give you all the info for club events, etc. The one to look forward to is the Rocket Roundup every July in Olds, AB.
Yup, even if you're not a member when that rolls around it's a cool event to drive down and just take in. The entries are exclusive. MUST be an Oldsmobile to enter. Last couple of years the turnout has been great, and the weather has been cooperative for the show.
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Welcome, car looks good for what it is, doesn't seem any worse than my 69.. Keep us updated!!