The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello All from Ohio

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2023, 02:23 PM

Hello All from Ohio

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker here, finally made an account. I have recently been given the opportunity to finally fix my father’s 1968 Cutlass, which he has owned since his time in college. The vehicle is in rough frame shape, and I will be searching for donors soon.

I have never worked on older cars before, my expertise is mostly with newer Hondas. I currently drive a motor-swapped 2020 Civic Hatchback with a Limited-Slip transmission. Makes a mean hot hatch. I did all the building and installation myself, but left the tuning to a dyno professional.

I hope to document my progress and be a contributing member!
Old January 23rd, 2023, 02:56 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Good luck with your Cutlass project....
Old January 23rd, 2023, 05:21 PM

Welcome. What part of Ohio?
Old January 23rd, 2023, 05:32 PM

Welcome!
Old January 23rd, 2023, 06:19 PM
Running On Empty

Right out of the gate, the very first item you will need is an original paperback General Motors Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. For some odd reason, the 1968 (model year) Chassis Service Manual (CSM) is plagued w/ poor binding adhesive(s) - e.g. pages separate a little from the binding. None-the-less, w/ that said - you don't want a reproduction, a copy or a CD. You can look around on other sites & do your own research to find a decent copy; but, if you want to work on this car, the CSM is your bible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31403747496...e#readMoreDesc

Old January 23rd, 2023, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by brotherGood
Welcome. What part of Ohio?
Cincinnati area. The Ohio salt consumes all.

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Right out of the gate, the very first item you will need is an original paperback General Motors Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. For some odd reason, the 1968 (model year) Chassis Service Manual (CSM) is plagued w/ poor binding adhesive(s) - e.g. pages separate a little from the binding. None-the-less, w/ that said - you don't want a reproduction, a copy or a CD. You can look around on other sites & do your own research to find a decent copy; but, if you want to work on this car, the CSM is your bible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31403747496...e#readMoreDesc
Funnily enough, I have one from 1968. It is in terrible shape, with the binding fully missing in places. But, it is indispensable. CSM is like the "techinfo" crap Honda requires these days. I used it already when repairing the core support - somebody put the support bushings in wrong.

Regarding frames, why is it so difficult to find decent condition frames? Looking around I see moderately rusty ones for $1200 or the "Jims Chevelle" 68-72 A Body (sandblasted and PC'd) for around $4300. That's a huge jump in price.
Old January 23rd, 2023, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, post some pics of your project.
Old January 24th, 2023, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by mrburgerUS
Cincinnati area. The Ohio salt consumes all.
Ha, this is true. North of Dayton here.

Funnily enough, I have one from 1968. It is in terrible shape, with the binding fully missing in places. But, it is indispensable. CSM is like the "techinfo" crap Honda requires these days. I used it already when repairing the core support - somebody put the support bushings in wrong.

Regarding frames, why is it so difficult to find decent condition frames? Looking around I see moderately rusty ones for $1200 or the "Jims Chevelle" 68-72 A Body (sandblasted and PC'd) for around $4300. That's a huge jump in price.
I can't remember the guys name, but there's a guy up in Tipp City that parts these out all the time. Not sure if he's got a decent frame available, but I can try to find him again and find out. I see him on the FB groups all the time.
Old January 24th, 2023, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by brotherGood
I can't remember the guys name, but there's a guy up in Tipp City that parts these out all the time. Not sure if he's got a decent frame available, but I can try to find him again and find out. I see him on the FB groups all the time.
Yeah! I’m just a newbie to the scene, I’ve been to more than a few Olds meets growing up, and my dad’s 1983 H/O won a few times even. I’ve attached photos of what I’m working with

Floor pan “repairs”

“repairs”

The car itself in 2020

The rear quarter view.
Old January 24th, 2023, 04:52 AM

Welcome. Awesome Olds.
Old January 24th, 2023, 05:00 AM

Welcome, best place to be, ClassicOldsmobile.com. Looks like a great project. Ohio is tough on cars, Cincinnati and Cleveland, Medina where we live. You will find ton of excellent advice here. Nice year for you to do this with the National in Dayton this August.

Wayne
Old January 24th, 2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 35tac
Welcome, best place to be, ClassicOldsmobile.com. Looks like a great project. Ohio is tough on cars, Cincinnati and Cleveland, Medina where we live. You will find ton of excellent advice here. Nice year for you to do this with the National in Dayton this August.

Wayne
Well, looks like I have a deadline. I am designing my own radiator top-plate using my university's waterjet and sheet brake, since 1968 4-core top plates are exceedingly rare. I found some frame cracking where the steering box connects, and the frame has a nice hole there too. So for anyone with leads on frames, I will certainly need them.
Old January 24th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mrburgerUS
Well, looks like I have a deadline. I am designing my own radiator top-plate using my university's waterjet and sheet brake, since 1968 4-core top plates are exceedingly rare. I found some frame cracking where the steering box connects, and the frame has a nice hole there too. So for anyone with leads on frames, I will certainly need them.
You might try posting a parts wanted ad for a frame. Not a lot of people read the newbie forum.