The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello from '68 Cutlass S Convertible owner in VA

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2019, 04:06 AM

Hello from '68 Cutlass S Convertible owner in VA

Hello!

About 4.5 years ago I bought the Cutlass convertible that has been in my family since before I was. It's white with black top and interior. My parents were the original owners in 1968. The car has been babied, garage-kept, and maintained all these years, and runs great! It definitely turns heads and gets smiles and thumbs-up when I drive it. Growing up, I remember that almost all the cars around me were Oldsmobiles -- that's just about all that my parents and grandparents ever bought.

I live in northern Virginia, just outside DC, with my husband, two teenaged kids, and crazy dog (a mixed breed "mutt" -- she's lovable with her family, but a handful). When I'm not driving or caring for this antique car, I like to garden, cook, read, and of course be a parent. There are often kids' activities to attend -- softball, baseball, swim meets, choral concerts, martial arts practices, and the list goes on. I also work for myself doing leadership assessment and development consulting.

I'm happy to meet you all!

Jodi

Old November 5th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Olds Omega

welcome to the classicolds from good old Austria!

very well looking car you have
Old November 5th, 2019, 04:45 AM

Welcome to the group Jodi! Great story and good looking ride😀
Old November 5th, 2019, 05:09 AM

Welcome Jodi, Good looking Cutlass!
Old November 5th, 2019, 05:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. I invite you to join the Capitol City Rockets, which is the DC-area chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America. We meet monthly, alternating between a site in Springfield, VA and Rockville, MD. Last week we toured the White Post Restorations facility in White Post, VA. Next month is our holiday party. Hope to see you at an event or meeting.
Old November 5th, 2019, 06:06 AM

Your car looks fantastic, Lets see more pictures when you can...
Old November 5th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Oldsdruid

Was the car bought new in DC/NoVA area or is it a transplant? If bought there, which dealership? I had a 66 442 years ago that was sold new at Olmstead in Arlington, and Pohanka and Templeton cars seemed to make their way down here a lot. Not that any of them still exist!
Old November 5th, 2019, 08:05 AM

Hi Jodi, I too am in N.VA Sterling (Potomac Falls) and as Joe P said the Capitol City Rockets Olds club is a great way to meet other Olds people.
Sweet ride and hope to meet you and the car one day.

Guy

Old November 5th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Randy C.

Welcome to this site! And I have the 4-4-2 version of your same car, also originally purchased new by my parents!

Randy C.

Old November 5th, 2019, 11:10 AM

You all are so nice and welcoming -- thank you! Even all the way from Austria!

It's great seeing so many other beautiful '68 Cutlasses and hearing about different Olds owners. Hopefully I can check out the Capitol City Rockets Olds Club. Does anyone on this forum frequent the car meet-up at Katie's Coffee House in Great Falls, VA? I occasionally take my car and my teenaged son. He's only interested in the modern super cars, though, not the classics!

My car was bought at McGraw Oldsmobile in Lancaster, OH. It has lived in/near St. Louis, Missouri; Des Moines, Iowa; Tampa, Florida; and now in NoVA.

I attempted to set up my profile on this forum, including creating an album with a bunch of photos. When I click on the link it appears to work, but I'm not sure if other people can see them?

As beautiful as I think the car is, and despite the sentimental value, I am looking for a buyer because we have only a one-car garage which now needs to house a different vehicle, and having the antique car is just not practical for a non-"car guy" like myself to stay on top of. If anyone is aware of anyone I should connect with, who would love and care for it the way it has been loved and cared for all these years, please let me know. I may post in the classifieds section on this Forum soon, but I wanted to introduce myself first and try to get the lay of the land a little bit.

Thanks again for your kind words!
Jodi
Old November 5th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Yes I go every Saturday until it's just too cold to stand out there.
PM me if you are planning on going and we could park next to each other if you want. I try to get there close to 6:15 or 6:30 to get a spot.
I think I've seen your car before at Katie's Cars & Coffee. Super nice car.
You might get a buyer there.
Guy

Last edited by Frisbee_k9; November 5th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old November 5th, 2019, 11:58 AM

Sweet '68, and welcome to CO. Mine had the same hubcaps when new too (sold them to another member on here). Would love to see more pictures (I'll assume if you post it for sale you'll include them there with more info on the drive train, mileage, options, etc). I find it amazing how many new members keep joining this forum each week, many more than on the LS1.com and LS1Tech.com forums that I have also belonged to for decades (man does time FLY!!).

Do you still have the chrome wheel opening trim? That was standard on the "S" Cutlass and 4-4-2s. Don't forget to include that with the sale if you have it.
Old November 5th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry you have to sell your car. A thorough description and some pictures should sell your car easily in our classified section.
Old November 5th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Sweet '68, and welcome to CO. Mine had the same hubcaps when new too (sold them to another member on here). Would love to see more pictures (I'll assume if you post it for sale you'll include them there with more info on the drive train, mileage, options, etc). I find it amazing how many new members keep joining this forum each week, many more than on the LS1.com and LS1Tech.com forums that I have also belonged to for decades (man does time FLY!!).

Do you still have the chrome wheel opening trim? That was standard on the "S" Cutlass and 4-4-2s. Don't forget to include that with the sale if you have it.
Thank you! What is the best way to show more pictures? I think I created an album with around a dozen photos, but I'm not sure if people are seeing it.

I'm also not sure what you mean by chrome wheel opening trim. Compared with most of you I am quite ignorant about these cars. I just know it was always "part of the family"! I assume that if it was originally a standard part of the car that was produced, it's most likely still on mine. What has been replaced/updated to my knowledge: Top replaced; front bench seat re-upholstered with plain black vinyl; floorboard carpet replaced with black carpet; radio replaced with Kenwood stereo/cassette deck; repainted (same white color as original). I think everything else that started in the car is still there. It has about 167,000 miles on it. I'm not sure about drive train... It's automatic transmission. I think they were all rear-wheel drive at that time -- is that correct? It has its original Rocket 350 engine.

Jodi
Old November 5th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Jodi, instead of discussing these things in the Newbie area, post a classified ad. I will be glad to help you if you need it.
Old November 5th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by VA68Cutlass
My car was bought at McGraw Oldsmobile in Lancaster, OH.
Cool. I lived near Lancaster back in the '90s and would drive right past McGraw Oldsmobile on U.S. 33 quite often. I never bought a car there, but I do remember it. They had a big billboard near the dealership.

The building is still there, but it now houses an appliance dealer and a martial arts place. At least it did in June 2018, when these images from Google street view were taken. The big glassed-in area was, of course, the showroom with service bays on the sides.

Old November 5th, 2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by VA68Cutlass
... repainted (same white color as original).
You can see the stainless trim I'm referring to around the wheel openings on both my Cutlass S (in my sig) and Frisbee_k9's 442. I suspect that either the painter forgot to reinstall it, or it was removed at some point in time for some reason. It happens. If you get a chance to look around for them, it would save a potential buyer the trouble of replacing it. On a dark car, I think it makes it "pop", not so much on a light color car. Regardless, its a beauty and I'm sure it would sell quickly, not too many 51 year old 1-2 owner cars around these days.
Old November 6th, 2019, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
You can see the stainless trim I'm referring to around the wheel openings on both my Cutlass S (in my sig) and Frisbee_k9's 442. I suspect that either the painter forgot to reinstall it, or it was removed at some point in time for some reason. It happens. If you get a chance to look around for them, it would save a potential buyer the trouble of replacing it. On a dark car, I think it makes it "pop", not so much on a light color car. Regardless, its a beauty and I'm sure it would sell quickly, not too many 51 year old 1-2 owner cars around these days.
The stainless wheel opening molding was optional on the Cutlass S. They only came standard on the 442
Old November 6th, 2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The stainless wheel opening molding was optional on the Cutlass S. They only came standard on the 442
DOH! And here I went and did a couple suicide laps on that plank before diving into the deep blue. I learn something new every day here.