The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Hello

Hello from Vancouver Island BC. I just got my first Olds. I found a neglected 71 Delta 88 on one of the smaller islands. So I took a weekend trip and went and picked it up. It was well loved at one point and had collectors plates in the back. But it was left to sit for awhile with rotted out weather stripping so it has been taking on some water. Still solid though, luckily enough. Over all it is in great shape (other then the weather stripping and a weird starting problem).

PB220115_zps1cf1edf4.jpg

PB220122_zps20847273.jpg

Last edited by Big Teej; March 4th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO! Nice looking car, nice to see another one saved. Doesn't look to neglected from the pics.
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM

Looks like all the engine needs is a quick dust off and voila!....nice looking gold block. Welcome!
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Looks to be in nice shape. What's the weird starting problem? Only starts on Tuesdays when it's dark out?
Old March 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Wow! Looks to be in great shape....easy fix on the starting problem...move to a dryer climate...
Welcome to CO...lots of help here to get you going...

Ted
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM

Well it really isn't that shiny in person. I think either he washed it or just wet it with a hose. What i meant by neglected is that is sat for awhile in the back of the lot with leaking windows and so it has a stinky soggy interior some mold and the drivers door panel is wrecked. This could have been avoided by buying a $10 tarp. The plastic part of the panel allows seems to be breaking down. You can scratch off pieces with your finger nail.
PB220118_zpscf219782.jpg

The starting problem is that it will start every time but the generator light will come on. Generator will be between 12.5 and 14 volts, battery has over 12. Then it won't start ( sounds like a dead battery), I try to jump it with either a jumper box or another car and it still sounds dead. I leave it come back in three hours and it starts no problems. Starter solenoid?
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Big Teej
Well it really isn't that shiny in person. I think either he washed it or just wet it with a hose. What i meant by neglected is that is sat for awhile in the back of the lot with leaking windows and so it has a stinky soggy interior some mold and the drivers door panel is wrecked. This could have been avoided by buying a $10 tarp. The plastic part of the panel allows seems to be breaking down. You can scratch off pieces with your finger nail.

The starting problem is that it will start every time but the generator light will come on. Generator will be between 12.5 and 14 volts, battery has over 12. Then it won't start ( sounds like a dead battery), I try to jump it with either a jumper box or another car and it still sounds dead. I leave it come back in three hours and it starts no problems. Starter solenoid?

First clean ALL the battery connections and ground straps even if they look good on the outside. this is often the problem you describe with a car that has sat in a wet climate. Then go from there if nothing changes......Tedd
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:26 AM

What i meant by neglected is that is sat for awhile in the back of the lot with leaking windows and so it has a stinky soggy interior some mold and the drivers door panel is wrecked. This could have been avoided by buying a $10 tarp. The plastic part of the panel allows seems to be breaking down. You can scratch off pieces with your finger nail.
That is really too bad. Water infiltration over a long period can do lots of damage. If the carpet is wet, you're probably better off removing the seats, putting them out in the sun to dry, and replacing the carpet as it's unlikely you would ever get the odor and mold completely out. This is a problem (among others) that cars that have been in floods or have been driven through water deep enough to come over the sills have.

The starting problem is that it will start every time but the generator light will come on. Generator will be between 12.5 and 14 volts, battery has over 12. Then it won't start (sounds like a dead battery), I try to jump it with either a jumper box or another car and it still sounds dead. I leave it come back in three hours and it starts no problems. Starter solenoid?
I'm not an electrical-problem expert, but this could just be a weak battery. Do you know anything about it or how old it is? You might remove it and have it tested. When the engine is running, the voltage at the battery should be 14 to 15 volts, I believe.

I had a '90 Ford Taurus that started and ran fine until all of a sudden one day, when it was about four years old, it wouldn't start. At all. Turn the key and nothing. Not even a click. But all the electricals (radio, headlights, interior lights) worked fine. Called a tow-truck, he put jumper cables on it but it still wouldn't start. Towed it to his shop, put in a new battery, and everything was fine and we never had another problem. He tested the old battery and said one cell in it was dead.
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM

I have already started going through the wiring. The person I bought the car off of knows nothing about it. He had it for two years did a little work like an exhaust system but has now idea how old the battery or alt is.

I thought of the battery but why wouldn't it jump start off another car?

I was going to buy an alt regardless to go to an internally regulated 3 wire alternator. I have a the wiring system coming from MAD Enterprises also. Including a remote solenoid for the starter. So after that it will leave the starter and battery (which I figured I would be buying a new one anyways since when people sell cars they put their crappiest one in it)
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM

Holy crap Tedd that`s a nice car.
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:38 PM

Looks good, Welcome.
Old March 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Holy crap Tedd that`s a nice car.
Thank you, yours will look as good with a little work also.....Lost in the fifties....Tedd
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:58 AM

Ok so the drivers side has all new weather stripping but it has been raining non stop so I haven't been able to do the passengers. The car wont fit through the door of my garage. Who ever built the garage was an idiot and should have their tool belt taken away. The after market weather stripping really doesn't fit as well as OEM. I was surprized at how different it is (yes it is the right one ) Bought a 100 amp alt the company sent me a 61 amp and the wiring kit still hasn't come. So it has been slow going. I just want to drive it.