The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Got my dad's 69 Hurst Olds

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2014, 07:59 PM

Got my dad's 69 Hurst Olds

Hi to all. I'm new to the forum. My dad has now given me his 69 Hurst Olds and I couldn't be happier. He has had her since 1972 and he has loved this car like one of his own kids. I have driven the car less than 10 times in my life and I'm 39. Well, he has gotten along and age and unfortunately the car has seen better days. I start the restoration come this friday when it finally enters my garage. When all is said and done, I plan on driving it a lot more. I'm hoping to teach my twin boys about cars and making this a family project. It was a big part of my childhood and want it to be a part of theirs. I love seeing everyone's ride here and hope that I can bring this car back to life and show it to you all. Hope to get some assistance from you all. Thank you.
Attached Images
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome. What a great gift for you and your family.
Looking forward to more pics.
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:08 PM

Congrats on the car. Looks like a solid car. Very nice
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:13 PM

Be sure to do a couple smokies before you make it nice......haha
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:20 PM

I will definitely post more as we move along on this journey. The one pic does not show just how much rust I have to contend with. Luckily, the engine is solid and still rumbles. I didn't realize how much I missed just sitting at the light and feeling the car idle while I look at all the people staring.
Brownbomber77, I will smoke the hell out of them!! I'll post the vid too
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:33 AM

If all the original parts are there be very careful who you let work on the car. The intakes on 69 H/O are getting to be in the "priceless" range and the replacement of many other original parts can quickly add up to over $20k.
Old October 10th, 2014, 05:49 AM
morgan

good deal... the hood pins have to go
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sweet....
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:13 AM

that's awesome,enjoy the car if you have questions there is a wealth of knowledge on this site, be careful on restore car is worth a lot of money
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:21 AM

I'm feeling the love here!! I'm lucky in the fact that my dad has kept all the original parts. fortunately/unfortunately, he also has two extra 455's in the garage and an extra tranny so the parts are here and there. I'm going to have to put the puzzle together and also get the other two engines operational. As for the restore itself, I'm going to take it nice and slow. I don't want to ruin the car or its heritage. I have a lot of love for this car. It's really good to find a forum/community that has the same love for theirs.

Any advice of rust removal? Media blast vs. chemical reaction? Metal Rescue any good? Not in the mood to make a molasses vat.
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Wow!! That's pretty much all I have to say.

Oh yeah...I 2nd the comment about being careful with others around that machine. It is 1 of (if not THE) most desirable (READ: expensive!) Oldsmobiles you can get, in the history of the Olds make. Even small, original parts can fetch big $$, and money makes people do dumb things.

Good luck with your new project. I look forward to seeing the progress.
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by sinigang20
I'm feeling the love here!! I'm lucky in the fact that my dad has kept all the original parts. fortunately/unfortunately, he also has two extra 455's in the garage and an extra tranny so the parts are here and there. I'm going to have to put the puzzle together and also get the other two engines operational. As for the restore itself, I'm going to take it nice and slow. I don't want to ruin the car or its heritage. I have a lot of love for this car. It's really good to find a forum/community that has the same love for theirs.

Any advice of rust removal? Media blast vs. chemical reaction? Metal Rescue any good? Not in the mood to make a molasses vat.
Congratulations on obtaining a family heirloom from your Father, and one of the most desirable/ valuable Oldsmobiles made!!!

I have had very good results using Metal Rescue and Evapo-rust to de-rust small to medium sized parts, just make sure the solution is above 70 degrees though.
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:41 AM

Welcome to the forum. You have a GREAT dad, first because he hung on to that car all these years and second because he saved it for you! Looking forward to the resurrection.
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Welcome aboard. Please tell your dad, I'm available for adoption
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Your dad GAVE you, I mean actually Gave you an original numbers matching 69' Hurst Olds!!! Ok I'm pretty sure I hate you now.

Congrats on your new toy, welcome to the site. Be sure to give your dad a hell of a nice fathers day present.

Scott
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:34 AM

Check all the engines for the intake ID
If it says "J" in the depression aft of the water crossover, that's good

If the "J" is on the drivers' side, and there is a PCV Boss between thermostat area and #2 runner, that's REALLY good, and should be accompanied by "405233" aft of the carburetor. THAT is the $$$$$$$$ intake, so keep very good track of it.

If the "J" is on the passenger side, and the number aft of carb is 398662, that is the much more common 1968-9 non-Toro BB intake. Good to have.

Any other letter/ number would need looking into.

Can you relate what you find?

Oh and congrats. It may be too valuable to use after you get done though.
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:37 AM

I had a "69" Hurst come up behind me in the country side this week. We took off from a stop sign and I could see the front end rising and falling as he rowed through the gears. What a wicked looking sight in your rear view mirror. Congrats on your car and make sure you start a build thread in the major projects forum so we can follow along.
Old October 10th, 2014, 11:23 AM

strange

Originally Posted by Sampson
I had a "69" Hurst come up behind me in the country side this week. We took off from a stop sign and I could see the front end rising and falling as he rowed through the gears. What a wicked looking sight in your rear view mirror. Congrats on your car and make sure you start a build thread in the major projects forum so we can follow along.

Doesn't one "row gears" in a manual trans car?. Last I checked the HO is a T400 equipped car.
Old October 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Doesn't one "row gears" in a manual trans car?. Last I checked the HO is a T400 equipped car.
My ignorance on how this car was originally equipped. Maybe it was a clone, maybe it had a 4 speed transplanted or maybe he manually shifted the auto so that the car appeared to be a manual transmission car. Never got a close look at the car other than my rear view mirror. Still was an menacing looking site coming up behind me.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Senior Moment Member

Yeah, whatever. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's so cool to be in traffic with another musclecar. I was out tonight and I was cruising along with a 64 or 5 Grand Prix. Just too damn cool. The new camaros and Dodges are just plain jane drivers. Yuck.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:29 PM

She's finally home in my garage. Octania, my dad and I both searched for the "j" and the number set behind the carb. I never considered looking for that. Thanks for the tip. We were both pleased as to what we found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hurst3.jpg (42.4 KB, 108 views)
hurst.jpg (57.4 KB, 116 views)
IMG_0990[1].jpg (62.1 KB, 122 views)
IMG_0991[1].jpg (74.0 KB, 120 views)
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
It may be too valuable to use after you get done though.
This is what I was thinking as well. One fella in the local Olds club says the paint on his HO has never seen water - even car wash water - detail products only.
Old October 11th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Old School Olds

She's finally home in my garage. Octania, my dad and I both searched for the "j" and the number set behind the carb. I never considered looking for that. Thanks for the tip. We were both pleased as to what we found.
Sweet! Congrats again.
Old October 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Oh my
that is one rare intake

ck your backup engines, and if you are lucky enough to have two 405233 intakes, maybe discreetly sell the extra to a real-car owner in need for an affordable price?
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM

....SWEETT...good luck.!!!
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM

Very nice car, dads saving it for you is super dad status, better consider what some of the earlier post said about restoring and not being able to use. Used the same hood pins on my Olds when I drove it everywhere and locked hood with min padlocks. X2 on nice fathers day gift for DAD.
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:00 PM

Didn't the H/O have the aluminum intake, or was it just the W-30 ?

Gene
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM

Gene you had a 69 H/O once and no alumn. intakes. Just look for all the parts that go with the 69 H/O.
NIKOLDS
Old October 12th, 2014, 12:17 AM

I had a '68 H/O
I remember now the aluminum intake started in "70

Gene
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Ice

Wow that's awesome!
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:45 PM

But, I have a '69 H/O Aluminum Intake
Well, not '69
Maybe not H/O
it is AL though! It's like a '70-72 with the Hot air choke and similar casting ID, but different.
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:20 PM
67 heavy metal

Welcome to CO and with such a nice and rare olds at that.
Old October 12th, 2014, 09:25 PM

Wow man. The more I think about your situation, the more I wonder if you've ever won anything before.....because you've just won the lottery my friend.

I wish you luck with the resto, and also with the temptation when folks start throwing offers at you. They're gonna be high.
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM

NICE !! 30,000 plus head start Do the hood locks have pins or is it a lock like a pop machine would have with a round style key ? Make sure you take lots of photos before you get to wild on the cleaning , look for things in chalk and paint marks that might be getting thin that would wash off with a power washer or strong cleaners. and Then Post them for us to see
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Very nice car, you are a lucky man.
Whatever you do, don't turn it into a trailer queen, drive it. Cars are meant to be driven no matter how rare they are. JMO.
Old October 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Congratulations ! Wow what a very nice "present"! Welcome and best of luck with the car!
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Runner

That is so awesome. Take more pictures in the state the car is now because that is just really cool. My dad wouldn't even give me his 04 corolla haha
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:55 PM

The hood pins are the round key style. As a kid, my dad would tell me if he didn't lock the hood down, th engine would fly out. I believed him.
I will definately post the pics of the car as is as a base of where I'm starting. My list of things I need to do is getting longer and longer. I've lost a lot of sleep on what to do first, how many boxes of ziplocks to I need, need to buy another engine stand...so on and so forth. I have a friend that is chomping at the bit to help out. I haven't this excited for a while.
As for a garage queen, it's like collecting old toys. If I can't play with it, I don't want it. It won't be my daily driver and definately not driving it in the rain but she will see road time.
Old October 15th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Kjr442

What a great dad you have. But you must be a good son too!
Old October 15th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Based on the few pics you posted the car looks to be in pretty good shape, have you considered trying to preserve its original condition? Clean, polish, repair as needed but NOT restore? So many of these cars have been torn apart for restoration and are never the same again, enormous money spent but not like the factory did it. A growing group of collectors are valuing originality more than before, especially with a car this rare and with the provenance you have. Just sayin...

Quick Reply: Got my dad's 69 Hurst Olds