The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Getting the old girl back on the road

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2021, 06:35 PM

Getting the old girl back on the road

So, I purchased this 71' Cutlass S off a good friend of mine back in 2005 (purchased it with a bad engine which I swapped out for a rebuilt 350 Rocket). My friend originally bought it from a guy in Arizona so the car came with very little to no rust. Now being in NY for the past 16yrs doesn't help at all.
Fast forward to Spring of 2021... Sorry to say that she has been sitting for quite a few years (around 5yrs to be exact)...
And it is now time to get her back on the road. Started working to get it road worthy once again back in May.
- Pressure tested, Repaired, & sealed Gas Tank + Installed new sending unit and lines.
- Rebuilt Holley Carb
- Converting 4 Drum Brakes to Front Disc... Realizing that the new portioning valve is too close to the headers being mounted on the frame rail and needs to be relocated.
- Replacing Booster, Master cylinder & all brake lines
+ a few other suspension/electrical work.

At this point, I hope to have it back on the road before the 1st snow fall...
I do see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Old September 20th, 2021, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Welcome and congrats on moving forward.
Old September 20th, 2021, 10:00 PM

Welcome. Good luck with getting it running and on the road.
Old September 21st, 2021, 07:22 AM
72 Olds CS

Brakes are looking good, may be to late but 72s mounted the prop valve under the master, out of the way and away from heat.

re on the road before snow...get off the computer and into the barn a couple years ago we had snow before halloween !
Old September 21st, 2021, 05:41 PM

Not too late... Great minds think alike...

When I was looking to mount the new portioning valve (Which is larger then the original)I noticed that it was really close to the headers being on the frame rail and decided to relocate it to be next to the Master Cylinder (Just ordered the bracket)
While I was at it & seeing that the original brake lines are 50yrs old & seen better days. I decided to rip them out and replace.
I will custom bend the front lines. But I will need to extent the line that feeds the rear from the original Prop Valve Location to the new location.
Looking @ options.
Old September 21st, 2021, 06:22 PM

Welcome aboard
It is very common that cars with headers require the combination valve gets moved to the top of the frame to get it out of the way of the headers. But if you have everything to move it up under the master cylinder, then that works too.
Do you know if the color of your car is called Rally Red, or is it called something different?
Keep pluggin away, you'll get that first drive in soon.
Oh yeah, love the wood floor
Old September 21st, 2021, 06:27 PM

I've been told it's called "Bitter Sweet Orange"... I could be wrong, But I also see signs that this was not the original color. I believe that the original color was some sort of Burgundy.
Old September 21st, 2021, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by msloane74
I've been told it's called "Bitter Sweet Orange"... I could be wrong, But I also see signs that this was not the original color. I believe that the original color was some sort of Burgundy.
Post up a picture of you data tag, its on the drivers side of the cowl. It will have the paint code on it.
Old September 25th, 2021, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Post up a picture of you data tag, its on the drivers side of the cowl. It will have the paint code on it.
Old September 25th, 2021, 06:28 PM

62 is code for Bittersweet. The E is for a Vinyl Top Sandlewood. So looks like vinyl top was once on the car. Interior code 909 is for Sienna regular bench with a coated fabric. I myself find that Sienna color combo pretty neat. Good luck on your project.

Wayne.

Old September 25th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 35tac
62 is code for Bittersweet. The E is for a Vinyl Top Sandlewood. So looks like vinyl top was once on the car. Interior code 909 is for Sienna regular bench with a coated fabric. I myself find that Sienna color combo pretty neat. Good luck on your project.

Wayne.
I agree with all of this. I had a friend who's Mom had a 71 442 in those colors. White top though. Had the white stripe up the center of the hood. Column shift bucket seat car. The white stripe and top really accented the interior color. His Mom drove it. Her car. Cool car.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; September 25th, 2021 at 07:30 PM.