The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

First Post

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2019, 06:08 AM

First Post

Fresh out of the barn

Old December 23rd, 2019, 06:15 AM

Looks good for a "barn" car.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. I'm sure there is a story here.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:23 AM

Rained like hell when we pulled her out and all the dirt washed off while I was signing paperwork.
She sat in the garage for 20 years waiting waiting waiting.

Last edited by leftlaneonly; December 23rd, 2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: But it's home now
Old December 23rd, 2019, 11:38 AM

Welcome aboard
Old December 23rd, 2019, 03:25 PM

Welcome, nice car! Share some details please.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 04:28 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... What are your plans for the new acquisition??? Since it has been stored for 20 years, is there any significant history behind it???
Old December 23rd, 2019, 07:18 PM

Nice Car ! I'm a big fan. Welcome to the site.

Rare version of a rare option, love it. Only about 1/5 came T Top. Color wise I have come across the white version several times, almost never the black version.

Numbers matching ? all original ? mileage ? Was she started etc over the years, and as has been mentioned, what are your plans for her ?

Lastly are you a long time Olds guy, or is this number 1 ?
Old December 23rd, 2019, 07:56 PM
Olds Fanatic

Very nice find, congrats!!
Old December 24th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the forum and it is nice that you are enjoying your Olds. You will find a wealth of information here. Don't hesitate to contribute. We like photos by the way.
Old December 27th, 2019, 04:28 AM

This is my first Old's... I met a gentleman about ten years ago he lived next to a property that I take care of on Webster Lake here in Ma. We talked cars a lot and one day he invited me into see his collection
( three story garage with 6 cars and tons of parts )
the colection
2- 79 Trans Ams
74 Corvette
69 Riviera
79 W 30 H/O
96 Corvette hard top/ soft top
Oh almost forgot a 69 442 rag top blue and white
Old December 27th, 2019, 04:51 AM

Very cool Olds, welcome to the site.
Old December 27th, 2019, 04:57 AM

A few shots

Old December 27th, 2019, 05:40 AM

Great looking H/O, looks to have been preserved really well. It has/had some nice stable mates too.
Old December 27th, 2019, 04:06 PM

Looks good... nice find on your part.

At least you were able to talk him into selling you one.
Old January 1st, 2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by leftlaneonly
This is my first Old's...
Nice, and a good solid version it is.

Had a couple of 79 Calais in the family, good cars, but lesser versions. One was a 260 CID the other 231 CID. The 260 was around a long time, only negative was the trans had issues, metric 200... Obviously not a concern with your model. 350/350 combo is an Oldsmobile staple for reliability and durability. Your car also has a nice ride, decent power, and was/is a good performer, especially for its time.

ClassicOldsmobile.com is a wonderful site. Enormous amount of knowledge and information on here as well as good people. Enjoy it ! Best of luck with your ride. I came close to buying one many years ago, wish I did.

PS Hemming's has covered your model many times. Dedicating several write up's on the web to it over the years.
Old January 1st, 2020, 05:39 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nice acquisition!
Anything else for sale there?
That's a 70-72 442.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Nice acquisition!
Anything else for sale there?
That's a 70-72 442.
Just one . We are trying to gather all the 442 parts together they were spread out over three floors and the engine was in the house cellar..along with 7 others.
a crap load of parts.not sure what year that one is.

Be a long ride for you from Texas

B
Old January 3rd, 2020, 10:12 AM

Well the 79 has been sitting 7 years with out starting ( oil and filter look brand new , coolant looks brand new , gas tank was dry, it turns over so not locked up.

I don't want to screw this up... what should I do before I try to start this back up ?

I am not going to rush this I want to do it right~

Old January 3rd, 2020, 01:19 PM

At a minimum, I'd drain the old oil and put in 4 qts of fresh oil (OK to leave the filter on w/ old oil). Since you've already turned it over, the oiling system has probably been primed, so its not worth pulling the distributor to prime the oil pump directly. Get some fresh gas, some starter fluid, and a standby battery to switch over / jump if the current one dies, and go for it. If it doesn't fire, check for spark. Once you get her running, let it warm up, check the trans fluid (top off as required) check for leaks and take it for a spin to completely warm it up. Then I'd change the oil/filter and coolant just for cheap insurance.
Old January 4th, 2020, 08:18 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Fog the cylinders or squirt some oil in the plug holes turn it over until it spits all of the oil out, then crank the engine for another 10-15 sec to get the oil flowing before putting gas in it. Reinstall the plugs then give er gas.

Careful with starting fluid. It shatters pistons nicely. A better alternative is to dump small amounts of gas down the carb say 3-4oz. at a time not from a large container. Think turkey baster or measuring cups. (don't tell the wife).

If this was my car I would change ALL the fluids...brake fluid and the rubber lines, p. steering, coolant with a full flush to get the sediment out of the rad and h.core, rear end fluid etc.

Replace any rubber that has a shelf life...tires, belts, hoses, etc.

Repack the front wheel bearings. Grease the front end.

Verify the pos and neg cables have good clean connections at either end and that the cables are in good shape.
Old January 4th, 2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Fog the cylinders or squirt some oil in the plug holes turn it over until it spits all of the oil out, then crank the engine for another 10-15 sec to get the oil flowing before putting gas in it. Reinstall the plugs then give er gas.

Careful with starting fluid. It shatters pistons nicely. A better alternative is to dump small amounts of gas down the carb say 3-4oz. at a time not from a large container. Think turkey baster or measuring cups. (don't tell the wife).

If this was my car I would change ALL the fluids...brake fluid and the rubber lines, p. steering, coolant with a full flush to get the sediment out of the rad and h.core, rear end fluid etc.

Replace any rubber that has a shelf life...tires, belts, hoses, etc.

Repack the front wheel bearings. Grease the front end.

Verify the pos and neg cables have good clean connections at either end and that the cables are in good shape.
Old January 4th, 2020, 09:21 AM

All the fluids are new all the rubber is new my plan is to fill the cab through the breather tube place a new battery in no starting fluid and try and fire it up

I will pull the plugs and throw something down there not sure what yet
Old January 4th, 2020, 11:11 AM

Hey Welcome to the forums. Always exciting to pick up a new toy to fiddle with and drop some $$$ into.

I think you could pull the spark plugs and if nothing else, squirt some WD-40 into the cylinders an crank over for the suggested 10-15 seconds. yep
Then check for spark and while you have the plugs out, you could always check compression just for kicks. After reinstalling the plugs, i'd give it a shot of primer gas and see if that puppy will fire up. Another thing I do on first start if old gas / fuel tank are in question is to disconnect the fuel line on tank side of fuel pump and run a temporary gas line from a clean can for the engine to draw from. She may be a Runner !
Old January 4th, 2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by leftlaneonly
All the fluids are new all the rubber is new my plan is to fill the cab through the breather tube place a new battery in no starting fluid and try and fire it up

I will pull the plugs and throw something down there not sure what yet
My first car, 67 Cutlass sat for 7 years during my ownership. The first thing I did was pour a bit of motor oil down into every spark plug hole and crank gradually. Should be done before anything, you don't want those pistons moving dry... No way that engine is starting without some assist via starter fluid or gas being poured into carb. If gas is your choice, maybe a 1/2 ounce minimum initially, work up from there but be very careful. If being assisted stand back away from engine on start up.

droldsmorland is dead on in his recommendations. Nothing worse for a car than sitting for long periods of time with no activity whatsoever. People selling mint cars with truly ridiculously low mileage, like in the 100s after 20 years etc are not doing a car any favors. The best thing for a car is occasional methodical usage. 20 or so miles a month minimum including a few throttle burst on the highway etc, every month.

Are you familiar with carburetors ? a lot of pumping the gas pedal is going to be involved on initial startup. It is normal. Lubricate the carburetor linkage etc, you don't want it getting stuck at a racing idle.

PS My 67 started, eventually needed to replace carb, hoses, etc. In the end it worked out just fine.