The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Finally back behind the wheel of an Olds.

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:07 AM

Finally back behind the wheel of an Olds.

Hello All,

My Olds story starts in High School(1990). First car was a 1981 Cutlass Supreme two door. Rough shape. Bumper Stickers had to cover the holes in the bumper. After some hard work upgraded to a mint two door maroon Cutlass Supreme. Put on white letter tires and the car looked awesome. Even had the Oakley Sun visor sticker. (Ha Ha). Had the 305 and hollowed out the catalytic converter and it sounded great and it screwed. I could keep up with my buddies T-Type. Not sure if that was the car or my stupidity.

Well, I did what all high school kids did and beat the car up a little. The final straw for the 86 was letting my college buddy use it to "go to work" while I was away for the weekend. Let's just say work wasn't the only place he took it. I came back to a totaled car.

Fortunately my dad had a buddy with a 1980 White Cutlass with t-tops that was sitting with a blown motor. Scooped that up and dropped the 305 in and I was off and running again.

Many years and a wife and couple of kids later, I began my search for a 68-72 Cutlass. My wife was on board, on thing she wanted was a convertible. I had been reluctantly($$$) looking for about 7 years. Until I came across a Cutlass(bad 442 clone) the next town over. It was red(wife approved color) with a non matching 350 rocket. Was replaced last year due to blown engine from a 40k car from texas. Car was very dirty, but rode and drove very nice. Engine sounded perfect and had a rebuilt tranny a year ago and new dual exhaust.

I had my mechanic put it on a lift and found one spot on the frame that needed a fix but didn't seem like a big deal(pics attached). Other than that the car was solid. Car was straight and all panels are in great shape.

My budget was under 9 k and I knew I would not get a perfect car for my price range so I bought the car. Happiest day since my kids were born. I took it to the recommended body/fabricator from my mechanic and he found a few other spots that needed fixing on the frame. All small cracks on the inside frame rails, but nothing all the way through. Also the body mounts were in kind of tough shape. He recommended finding an A body Convertible frame but from the researching on the forum, it's hard to find and will take a ton of saving $ on my part. He said it is fine to drive for the summer and he wanted to see if he can find a frame or maybe beef up an existing regular A body frame.

So I am on a roller coaster of feelings from happy about having the car to worried about the frame.

Thanks for all the great info I have found on the site already and look forward to adding some of my own posts in the future.

OldsRI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1492.jpg (91.8 KB, 15 views)
IMG_1493.jpg (85.9 KB, 12 views)
car.jpg (47.3 KB, 16 views)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome, time does take it's toll on frames out in snow country. There may be some members who can help on here, be patient and post your request under parts wanted also.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:36 AM

Yes the winter and salt are pretty brutal.

Thanks for the greeting and thanks for the tip.