The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Ello

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2021, 09:58 PM

Ello

Hey folx,

New to Olds guy from Cen CA. Bought a very solid driver a week ago, ‘69 Cutlass, and a ‘70 supreme about a year ago. The 70 was kind of an impulse buy after missing out on a ‘69 Chevelle. The ‘69 Cutlass is the body style I’ve always been a fan of having the Chevelle look without the price tag.

The Supreme was and is in the back burner while I finish up another project and the other will be my Sunday ice cream getter. Before causing too much confusion I want to just say that I’m a bow tie guy but these are really growing on me. Any GM muscle catches my eye really but can def appreciate the Olds history and honestly feel like they fit me better being a subtle, not so look at me type of car.

anyway, here’s the ‘70 supreme. The impulse buy. Listed as a rust free running car, “ready for paint”. Drove 3 hours to find out it had some previous quarter work and holes in front floors. It is complete otherwise but with a 330, 3 Spd floor shift. Beat em up on price some for lying and brought it home. Clean interior. Original olive green I think. It’ll be a while before I get to it but am thinking a LT1 or LS swap would be ideal.

next up if the favored child. Was one of those deals that are too good to pass up. Trim tag says Nassau blue but think this is a shade or two darker. Might be the factory 350/3spd and no rust anywhere that I could see. The rally’s will go eventually. Has a new Edel 1406 and a matching Edel 3711 intake is in its way. Runs teary eyed rich. Set the idle screws and is still rich so will get a tuning kit on the way also. I’ll tinker with it as needed but hope I can put around without too much trouble. Sounds like it might have a mild cam actually, I hear a subtle lope or possible misfire. I’ll keep messing with it and hope to cruise it soon. I can’t believe how preserved this one is. I’m not used to buying cars that don’t need anything major done to them.

Last edited by CuttyJoe; March 12th, 2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old March 12th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Some call me, Tim

From one ‘69 owner to another, welcome. Congrats on the new project.
Old March 12th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, congrats.
Old March 12th, 2021, 03:10 PM

Thanks y’all
Old March 12th, 2021, 04:57 PM
Banned

Welcome. I like them both. Your 69 reminds me of my 69. It was white with a blue top. It had the same interior. Also dig the 70 Supreme. I had a 70 SX that was the light green. Aspen green maybe?
Old March 12th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Welcome. I like them both. Your 69 reminds me of my 69. It was white with a blue top. It had the same interior. Also dig the 70 Supreme. I had a 70 SX that was the light green. Aspen green maybe?
i don’t know man, these Olds are still a mystery to me. Seems to be as many variations as the mustang. I’ll be posting trim tags soon to get some help deciphering. I suspect the ‘69 might still have the build sheet hidden somewhere. Bummer it’s an open diff but I’ll get that peg leg fixed someday. Just ordered the tuning kit for the car, suspect I have to get a smaller primary jet. I was pumped about having an old school to tinker with because of its simplicity but these carbs can be as tricky as fuel injection. Had a 400 sbc in a truck in high school and this brings back memories of that. I’m tempted to get long tubes, AFR sensors and tune by that but that’s probly overkill.

anyway. Thx and looking forward to wrenching on em. I get to try my hand at metal work on the 70 😬