The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

custom 1969 H/O ideas in mind

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
IYAOYAS

custom 1969 H/O ideas in mind

Bought a 1969 cutlass holiday about three years ago, joined the military and have been thinking up ideas for rebuilding it. already boxed up the rear control arms, converted the front to disk brakes for better performance, its been a project with my dad and i from the beginning but now i wont have much of his help. it was a stock 4 speed car but uncertain about what motor used to be in it. it now has a rocket 350 with a turbo 350 trans. rear end has 3.42 gears which was suprising to see it still had since everything else that was worthy was taken out of it and replaced. new suspension bushings, stock front springs new swaybars, cant remember manufacturers at the moment since im deployed.
My thought for the car (keep in mind that it is no longer original ) would to make it a hurst olds with a new type of look with the paint. instead of the white with the firefrost gold, i wanted to do a semi gloss black to replace the white with gun metal grey to replace the firefrost gold.
any thoughts would be appreciated. plus has anyone seen a 1969 H/O clone that someone did with a different paint scheme?
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Welcome and good luck with the project. There is another black tribute H/O for sale on the board, might give you ideas.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...o-tribute.html
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM
IYAOYAS

Thanks Hookem horns, it gives me a little bit of an idea to see what it may look like in the end but i dont believe ill be leaving the side moldings on the car. doesnt seem like it would flow very well with the paint scheme. pretty sure im going to get a lot of stink eyes if i do this. thanks a lot though for some ideas.
another question, would spraying the bumpers the same scheme look better then leaving them crome when going with darker colors since i wont be using any of the chrome moldings? kind of like the rally versions?
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:58 AM
IYAOYAS

some progress pictures with it since ive had it, what it looks like in flat black but looking to go semi gloss black with gun metal grey stripes replacing the H/O gold stripes
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator

I like glossy paint! The route your taking would be appealing eye candy, and if you get the engine to sound and perform the part it would be a great car.
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
IYAOYAS

Dammit, how do you post pics?
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
IYAOYAS

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I like glossy paint! The route your taking would be appealing eye candy, and if you get the engine to sound and perform the part it would be a great car.
as of now i dont know if its gonna be show car worthy or have H/O interior since its impossible to find. would a frame off restoration be welcomed on this one? or would you say its a waste of time. could make the frame glossy for you... haha
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Here's pics 101 for you

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “ Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.

There is a size limit on pics
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1969oldsH
as of now i dont know if its gonna be show car worthy or have H/O interior since its impossible to find. would a frame off restoration be welcomed on this one? or would you say its a waste of time. could make the frame glossy for you... haha
Hahahaha, build the car for you! Before you even begin come up with a plan and a budget. That will dictate what you can and can't do. Just remember you are building the car for you, but be tasteful so that when you get tired of it you don't lose your a$$. Also be advised... MAW's will kill your wallet.

To post pictures you need to click on the advanced posting window, then click on the paperclip for attatchments, then download.
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
IYAOYAS

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Here's pics 101 for you

There is a size limit on pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
670.jpg (54.6 KB, 53 views)
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Nice car Boy, those hood pins are way back
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM
IYAOYAS

Nice car Boy, those hood pins are way back
yes i know unfortunately, they are crap anyways. will be coming off shorty when i start the resto on it. not sure if i want to keep hood pins on the car or just roll without them. in my own opinion i believe they look aggressive but i also dont want it wearing down the paint or anything like that. even having the metal parts of the clips rusting like the ones i have on it. also jamesbo, i see that you own a 69 H/O. how do you think it would look semi gloss black with gun metal grey stripes replacing the gold?

Last edited by 1969oldsH; July 20th, 2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:51 PM

"Owned" as i past tense

I like the color scheme. Personally, I think the H/O is a PITA to drive because the scoop is too big and the side view mirrors are totally useless
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:01 PM
IYAOYAS

"Owned" as i past tense

I like the color scheme. Personally, I think the H/O is a PITA to drive because the scoop is too big and the side view mirrors are totally useless
agreed, me being 6'1" doesnt help either. the damn rear view mirror is the worst in my opinion, i dont even have my passenger mirror on it right now. i also dont have the sport mirrors at the moment. seems like they are hard to find these days. apologize about saying you were an owner. didnt realize what happened to it. makes me sad..
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM

Thumbs up

I think it will look cool!! I would like it better that way than if you tried to clone it using the exact H/O colors! I say do it!
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:04 PM
IYAOYAS

Originally Posted by Gator69olds
I think it will look cool!! I would like it better that way than if you tried to clone it using the exact H/O colors! I say do it!
will do. ill be sure to post the progress pictures when i start.for the most part it has little rust, rear quarter panels have some but other then that it just has a lot of dents, may end up looking for a new d/s door, p/s door and p/s front fender.

if you know of any places near SO-CAL, let me know.
Old September 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Have you made any progress on your olds?
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:32 PM
IYAOYAS

no i have not. been overseas still. should be back towards the end of the year hopefully. soon i hope soon.... its driving me nuts...
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:26 AM

Sounds like a cool project to me!

Were you asking about finding body parts in the SoCal junk yards? It’s rare to see a cutlass out there these days. If Ecology still has their Oceanside yard, that was the only one I’ve seen with a cutlass in a long time. All the other ones down by the border, my friends hit up quite a bit and never find any, but they do still see the occasional 455 show up in the full size or toros. I think too much time has gone by, 10 years ago, there were always 5-10 of them in each yard.

Craig’s list is probably your best bet. I see guys parting them out a lot, especially check the Inland Empire and LA Craig’s list.

Are you looking for a real semi-gloss black (50-60 degree) or are you looking for a satin black (30-40 degree) I’ll attach example pics of both.

Here’s a 30-40 degree stain black (sorry it’s not an olds, couldn’t find a good enough pic)

JDBB%20Camaro_zps9b9a52c8.jpg

Here are my floorboards I just shot with a (50-60 degree) epoxy semi-gloss black. (its a bad cell phone pic but at least you can kind of see the difference)

photo_zps7f52a047.jpg
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:06 AM
NOVICE car nut

Awesome ! after you close the manage attachment box . Click on photo link , and copy & paste to make bigger

Last edited by oldsguybry; September 19th, 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Sounds like a cool project, you can get interior stuff from Legendary Auto Interiors great stuff.
http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

Stay safe over there.
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM

First....

Thank You for your service!!

Second, I like the car, I also like shiney but it's your car, I am also building a 69 hurst Tribute ( as opposed to a clone) I am taking the styling cues from the H/O but changing things around, mine is a 69 convertible.

have you thought about maybe the silver and black paint scheme from a 68 hurst olds? pretty tasty iMHO? I had thought about doing mine black and gold, but decided I will stick to the white and gold but with a gold interior etc.

good luck on your build...
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM
IYAOYAS

porter: Thanks for the advice about the junkyards. I had a friend of mine check one out in Oceanside before i left and had no luck finding any cutlass donors. craigslist is probably the most useful site i have found so far. been checking out OPGI for parts and having my dad go to some swap meets. he found a few things while ive been gone. looking to go the satin black route 30-40 degrees. think the gloss gun metal grey stripes would pop out pretty well.

paratrooper: thanks for the site helps since all i look at is craigslist and OPGI site. (ordered a catalog about 2 months ago but haven't received one).

Paratrooper & Eddie: Thanks for the support. Staying safe as possible.

Eddie: I like what you were thinking with your car and the idea about the 68 cutlass color scheme. still want to make it a little more custom. would be a good idea though. maybe thats a future project later. haha.