The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Buying my first Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2015, 11:01 PM

Buying my first Oldsmobile

I've had tons of cars, when I say tons I mean it! My last "big" car was a 1996 Town Car Signature.

I was offered a 1983 Oldsmobile Regency 98 for a price I couldn't refuse ($300) and even though I'm super poor he even offered to do $150 now/150 in 2 weeks.

About me, I am a car guy, I used to be a mechanic but I stopped turning wrenches about 3 years ago and only do it to save money and because I don't trust people. I am in Central Pennsylvania (rust country). I am a fuel economy fanatic (irony) but I wouldn't mind having this olds as a once a week or just to the auto parts store cruiser. My current cars are 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage 3 cylnder 5 speed, 1991 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 5 speed. I grew up with my grandmother driving a 1977 Caprice, which then was replaced by my great grandmothers 1983 Delta 88 sedan, I spent A LOT of time in that car listening to the radio, driving it up and down the drive way. It was always a lot of fun. I've owned plenty of V8 vehicles and I do admit I love the way they sound.

About the car.

1983 Oldsmobile 98 Regency 2 door coupe, 70-90K miles I think (not sure) it has a th350 because the shifter pattern didn't include a circled D or a OD button (not positive on this), maybe oldsmobile had a non OD 3 speed?

The car starts and runs fair, no strange noises other than a donut gasket missing, dual flowmasters sound good. The front nose is smashed from a deer, all the fiberglass is destroyed and the headlights are zip tied together. Interior is fair, power seat does not work neither does the a/c but the blower and wipers/lights work. It will idle but not very well and smells a bit rich. It also has a bad parasitic drain, he replaced the starter and battery, the alternator was tested. I checked it and found 14.5V at the battery when running but had a decent size arc from removing the battery cable even with everything off. (have to do some electrical trouble shooting)

I've read about the nylon cam gear and that's on the list of to does with exhaust leak, nose clip replacement.

Do I need a double roller timing chain? Can I use a cheaper set like this? I just want a all metal kit that won't come apart over the next few years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Timin...5d83e9&vxp=mtr

Thank you in advance! I can't wait to have my slow and loud oldsmobile cruising around town!

Last edited by 1983NineEight; July 27th, 2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Your car likely has the three speed TH200 trans, not a TH350 (or at least, that's what it was born with). The trans pan gasket shape is the best indication. Also, look to see if the word METRIC is stamped into the bottom of the pan.

Your 307 engine uses the Command Computer Control (CCC) system, which controls the carb primary side mixture, distributor advance, trans converter lockup, and other emissions-related functions. This system works well IF it is properly maintained and adjusted, which requires exactly following the process in the Chassis Service Manual. Shortcuts will only cause it to run poorly, as will any cracks or leaks in the millions of miles of vacuum lines under the hood. Good luck.
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:08 AM

Ah yes that makes sense. A TH200 it has for sure, I knew it wasn't a OD.

I'll be learning about the CCC system soon hopefully it's not too difficult to learn.

I'm sure my carb needs a rebuild though with this ethenol fuel.
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:54 PM

I was wrong! Sorry for the incorrect information. I do have the OD TH200, it shifts a little rough sometimes but not too bad. The pan gasket is leaking, no idea when last service was done but might take a gamble doing a transmission service.

The Olds is mine now! Paid off, but still saving for the title transfer then for the timing chain job. It drives ok, not good, it needs a lot of work to be where I want it as a daily driver but its a rare rust free classic for $300... can't expect much (I was able to drive it home).

Issues it has:

Exhaust leaks at the manifold/down pipe do nut gasket (Gaskets were included with sale)
Electrical power drain, have to disconnect battery or it won't start the next day
Power seat does not work
Digital cassette cb radio does not work/antenna does not retract
Engine is covered in oil from valve cover gasket leak (possibly more leaks)
Passenger window off tracks (drivers works)
AC compressor is locked
Front nose headlight panel is smashed
Drivers fender dented
tires have minor dry rot
Door arm rest has tear on foam pad, headlight sagging, seat has minor tear
wiper washer not working
Coolant temp warning sending unit wiring rough looking
Runs rich/poor and backfires when engine is revved
98,000 miles on the odometer and no sign of a timing chain replacement
Transmission pan leaks some
Rear end fluid never checked/changed by previous owner (1 1/2 years)
All the shocks look rough and rusty
Front wheels look cambered out a little (maybe lower ball joints or needs an alignment)
Steering a little loose (probably a pitman arm and greasing, haven't diagnosed it yet)

Typical 32 year old car issues..

The PO said he replaced the oil 10 miles ago, the spark plugs/wires/cap/rotor. But the plug wires appear to be cheap autozone and the cap looks dirty (old), the plugs are rusty (old). He said the carburetor needs to be adjusted, which it might be more along the lines of a rebuild/replacement with the back firing. Also has new mechanical fuel pump, used battery, new battery cables, new starter, alternator charging good.

Last edited by 1983NineEight; August 7th, 2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:23 PM

power seats fixed for now (fuse was missing) and both work great. The "used" battery PO bought for it was junk, put my good everstart maxx in it, seems to be working well (going to leave it connected over night to see if the parasitic drain exists or was just the battery.

Wipers don't want to park sometimes, they go up 2 inches from under the hood "ready" position then go to park then back to ready over and over, if I turn off the car it stays in park. I took it for a quick wash after a cold start video with the good battery.
Old August 7th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Old August 8th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Had a kidney stone send me to the hospital this morning, having experience with other people with kidney stones I knew every bump in the road would hurt so I took the oldsmobile even though I probably shouldn't have, the smooth ride made things as best as they could be and I am doing much better now. As soon as I was released from the hospital I spent a few hours sleeping on the soft seats before making a few circles of the great potsville cruise! It was so nice outside and the olds didn't let me down. I feel like I'm driving christine with the exhaust leak. The "parasitic" drain may have been just a bad battery, I haven't had any issues since putting in my 1 year old walmart maxx, even sitting over night.
Old August 9th, 2015, 02:12 AM

A few pictures after washing.

I found these original Trico wipers off a late 70s pontiac a few years ago, it's not very common to see them and I like the stainless steel look so I grabbed them $1 each. They look good on the 98!

Here's a picture of the true dual exhaust.

Old August 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM

WOW! That's a really nice car for $300!!! Looks great and with alittle bit of work it ought to be something to behold! Good luck man!

-Rick
Old August 10th, 2015, 10:48 PM

Thank you! I've been researching rebuilding the carburetor and it looks like a bit of a task for somebody that has not done one before. I have rebuilt ford motor craft 2 barrels and volkswagen solex carbs, but never a quadrajet (by myself). I found this rebuilt unit for $120 on ebay, its a little out of my price range but I could swing the 120.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Roch...747dc6&vxp=mtr
Old August 11th, 2015, 02:53 AM

I really didn't want to but I bought the Quadrajet from ebay for $120 shipped rebuilt. It looks like the right one for my 307. I'll be able to rebuild the one I remove slowly and if I make a mistake no big deal.
Old August 24th, 2015, 07:21 PM

Any updates on your Olds. I know its only been a couple of weeks but i figured i would ask. Plus Im curious.
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:11 PM

That's a nice looking car.
Yeah it needs a little work, but man it's nice.
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:49 PM

(this will be the second time I'm typing all of this for some reason it logged me off the forum and asked me to log in?)

I got the title transferred today! $165 for the transfer, antique plate 5 years registration (should be in the mail soon)

I took a copy of the title, my friend was the second owner. It shows the original owner from NY had only 4 miles on it when he bought it. I also found that my 98 has the optional fiber optic lamp indicator, its really cool!

I got some original keys and a key chain from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141642799664

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350955726276

My to do list is long!

Carb replacement
adjust tv cable (not shifting into first on its own when coming to a stop)
replace fowled plugs
a/c compressor locked
blowing out of all vents/floor/defrost (vacuum issue likely)
wiper motor won't turn off (junkyard replacement coming soon)
passenger window rolls down most of the way then goes off track and stops?
exhaust leak
coolant sensor plug/wiring
power door lock relay, they were working then stopped, I can hear a click under the passenger side dash.
front nose piece from junkyard
pop out fender dent
possible transmission service if tv adjustment doesn't fix not shifting into 1st when coming to a stop (will be adding a drain plug to the pan as well)
rear end fluid and power steering fluid flush (no idea how old either is)

Last edited by 1983NineEight; August 24th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM

Got the mud flaps on last week. The package they came in had a trade mark stamp of 1982, so they are even period correct!