The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Broken Chassis and Trunk Pan

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Broken Chassis and Trunk Pan

Hey Guys sorry for the two part question, but I need to know if a broken chasis can be repaired. Mine is broken on the right side by the rear bumper. Just can it be welded back is the question? I also need a trunk pan. I just been looking over the web and there are so many places to choose from.
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM

Frame needs to be inspected to see if it is sound have seen many repaired. many trunk patches around some one may be able to tell you of a good supplier for a good fit.
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Past Administrator

I hope you can get the repairs done. If I haven't already done so, I say welcome to CO.
Old October 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by K_Dubb
Hey Guys sorry for the two part question, but I need to know if a broken chasis can be repaired. Mine is broken on the right side by the rear bumper. Just can it be welded back is the question? I also need a trunk pan. I just been looking over the web and there are so many places to choose from.
The frame is mild steel and is easily weldable. If the crack is caused by rust that's thinned the metal, that's a different problem. There needs to be adequate thickness of metal to weld, or else the rusted section needs to be cut out and new metal welded in. There's no magic to this, it's just welding steel. You do need to take care to ensure that the frame rails are aligned properly, however.