The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Another guy from germany

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Cruizader

Another guy from germany

Hi Guys,

I´m 49 years old, and I have a 57 Olds 88 that I bought 1991 in L.A.,CA and restored it over the years.
350 Chevy engine, TH 350 Tranny, a little lowered and some small custom features.
here are some pics : http://www.cruizaders.com/Cruizaders..._88Custom.html

Oh, by the way, does anybody knows out there, how much presseure the stock olds power steering pump delivers to the stock steering gear box ??? Cuz I have a chevy steering pump in it, and I think it delivers too much pressure, and may be thats the reason why my box is leaking..........

Thanks for any help !
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sorry, I can't answer your question. Citcapp may know but he's on the left coast and still in his PJ's.

We've gottne several new members recently from Germany. Look aroudn you may find some friends.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:37 AM

Hey!

Another "German" Olds! Check out https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...l-germany.html
& go to #17. That's the list I' put together so far!
Welcome!

Ralph
Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

We've gottne several new members recently from Germany. Look aroudn you may find some friends.
See? We "found" you already!

Ralph
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Your car is fine, super fine, ultra fine. I really like the attention to details like the carry over of the interior door panel color scheme to the painted portion of the door and door jamb; and the limited but perfect application of pin-striping, and the cushion in the back seat, and the application of the Oldsmobile air cleaner housing to the engine (had to kind of camouflage the fact the it's a bowtie eh?). I could go on and on and on. Very nice.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM

Hello to a neighbour

Welcome here!
Sorry that we can`t give you some information about the pressure of the steering pump, but surely you will get an answer in this forum, as we got very helpful information about our Olds, too.

By the way: Thank you all guys who gave us help!

We saw your beautiful Olds in Freiburg at the meeting, it`s perfect and we really did admire! (we were there with our blue 63 cutlass convertible).

Hope to see you again next year...

Best wishes and good luck,

Claudia & Martin

@Ralph:It seems to me that there are no Olds guys in Northern Germany ? The list you put together is containing only towns in the south ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Freiburg Diner 09 1.jpg (82.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
Freiburg Diner 09 2.jpg (89.3 KB, 5 views)
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:49 AM

Where is it leaking, what part of the steering box. I have put Chevy motors in a lot of different cars never had a pressure problem with the steering.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by convertible 63

@Ralph:It seems to me that there are no Olds guys in Northern Germany ? The list you put together is containing only towns in the south ...
Yeah, well I know of a couple more, but only 1 (Berlin) up north, but he doesn't have it on the road yet.

At least it makes it easier to maybe actually see each other!

By the way, I finally see your 'vert! Thumbs up! Also, I I agree! Croozer's '57 is really a gem!!!!

R.

Last edited by German442; November 3rd, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Nice looking 57, I have one as well. My manual lists the pressure as being limited to 250 psi. I am running a newer GM pump with my 455 in my 57 and it works fine. Might be just a worn out steering box
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM
Cruizader

Thanx to everybody, for the warm welcome. Glad you like my Olds.

@ citcapp : Thanks for the info, I have an owners manual, too, but can´t find the lbs. On which page is it ?
may be the box is worn out, but may be from too much pressure, and I don´t wanna happen it again. But to change a steering box is a job and half, too. So it would be cheaper to refill the oil..........

@ 70 cutlass S : I haven´t found the leak yet, but the box is oily on the lower part of it.

To all the german Olds Drivers : I`m located in Freiburg. A german Olds Forum sounds good !!!!

@ Claudia & Martin : Nice you joined our little show !!! Love your Olds too. Hope you had a good time there ! Our cars were parked so close on the show, but now we talk in a Forum in the states !!!! That´s weird !!

Mike
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM

Welcome to the site.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Cutlass driver in Germany

Hi German guys, interesting how the German Olds group grows. There was a Oldsmobile site here in Germany name Olds IG but as I see it it is basically dead. So a German Oldsmobile Forum sounds great, but we should start with a mailing list. So I am willing to collect the mailing addresses. Just go to my personal page and send me a mail.

About the pump, I know two guys here in Munich, who got good knowledge about US cars. Send me your phone number via pm or mail and I call you and we talk about your steering problem.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:30 PM

[quote=croozer;120814]Thanx to everybody, for the warm welcome. Glad you like my Olds.

@ citcapp : Thanks for the info, I have an owners manual, too, but can´t find the lbs. On which page is it ?
may be the box is worn out, but may be from too much pressure, and I don´t wanna happen it again. But to change a steering box is a job and half, too. So it would be cheaper to refill the oil..........

Page 5-9 in my book. It may just be a seal. I'll study this some more and see if I can figure it out and get back to you.
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:39 AM

Your best shot at finding the leak is to clean up the steering box. Then drive it a little than check to see where the leak is. It might be something simple or you need a new steering box. I would clean it up first and anything around it that is dirty to. Also make sure the hoses don't have a hole in one. Could be where the hose treads into the steering box might need to be tighten just a little.
Old November 5th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Cruizader

@ 70 cutlass S
Yes, I will do that, I´ll let you know what I find out as soon as the Olds get back from the body shop. Thanks for the advice.

Mike