The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 Cutty in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Chris you ever see that shop A&S Auto? It has a blue stripe on it. Its next to the Maaco paint place. He usually has a nice black 60s Thunderbird parked in the garage.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by getawaycar
Greekdog, what kind of work do you need? I grew up in Carlsbad and Encinitas. I would be happy to come up to help you with your car too. If you want to take it to a shop I can probably recommend somebody based on what work you need done. A lot of shops specialize in one thing or another.

Chris
I need my convertible top reupholstered and the arm on the passenger side of the convertible top needs to be repaired a bit.

My engine is stock and running fine but its always nice to know someone I can take the car to if something happens mechanically rather than wait for something to happen and then look.

Eventually I want someone to take a look at the engine and let me know what they think. The top end was rebuilt 20k miles ago but I dont know what the guy before me actually did to it.

This is my first vintage car. I have redone parts of the interior. I installed side mirrors, a repro grill and some emblems but i really struggle with mechanical engine based stuff.
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:50 PM
1968 442 restoration

Yeahbuddy, isn't that the shop next to Les Girls and The Body Shop? Is that how you found it? Down there anyways? I will respond to your PM later today.

GreekDog, think the way to go is to purchase a reproduction top and then have that installed. I can help you with the mechanism repairs and installation if you want or I can recommend a apolstery shop to do it. I can also help you with your engine concerns if you would like. Send me a PM and let me know how I can best help. I think Legendary sells convertible tops. Maybe somebody here can tell you who makes the best tops for the best price.

Chris
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
Nice man! I work in Mira Mesa and I drive my car daily. I usually am in MM until 5:30-6 on the weekdays. I drive the car all over that area. I'd definitely like to check out your car. Maybe sometime this or next week. Cheers.
Next week fo Sho. Heading up to Seattle this week but I'm in town next week. I'll drop you a line. Have fun working with Chris - he's got good taste in music, too.
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Sounds good! The car has been on my back burner for a while. The last few months have flown by due to things being wild at work but I want to start slowly redoing little things on my car soon and its good to know their are other CO members nearby to help out

BTW have any of you San Diego guys been to "Cruisin' Grand" on friday night?
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Welcome... I'm really looking for a 442 for my first olds but someone has a 72 Cutlass S that is selling for a good deal so I might have one also...
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM

For body work, Best of Show Coachworks in Escondido has cars that have won lots of awards. They are repairing my 1959 88 right now. The owner Dick would be able to point you in the right direction for engine work. He is a real honest guy and the moment I met him I knew my car was in good hands. Everyone at the shop is over 55 years old which is a good sign. You can also check out www.hotrodscustomstuff.com in Escondido. I live up in Cardiff but would love to cruise when my car is back.
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by 59old88
For body work, Best of Show Coachworks in Escondido has cars that have won lots of awards. They are repairing my 1959 88 right now. The owner Dick would be able to point you in the right direction for engine work. He is a real honest guy and the moment I met him I knew my car was in good hands. Everyone at the shop is over 55 years old which is a good sign. You can also check out www.hotrodscustomstuff.com in Escondido. I live up in Cardiff but would love to cruise when my car is back.

cool thanks for the shops