The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

72 Cutlass conv

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM

72 Cutlass conv

Hey guys im new to this site, but its pretty cool how all the olds lover meet and exchange info. I own a 72 cutlass hardtop but my dream car is and 72 cutlass convertible. Somebody please help me find one at a decent price, willing to trade.
I WILL NOT REST UNTILL I GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! "The Prettiest One" welcomes you also! Nothing wrong with a 72 Cutlass hardtop at all!!! We need to see pics!!!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM

Got one, but you can't have it. Welcome to the site. Post some pics of your current ride and good luck on finding your dream car.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah i know its nothing wrong with a hard top but i always liked the feeling of just riding around the city on a summer day just you in the sun. I having a hard time putting my pics up im new to this maybe if i could e_mail them to you can you post them for me. Or tell me how.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:20 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo is our "how to post pics" guru - amongst other things!! He was around earlier, but haven't seen him lately. He's probably planning the supper menu! He'll be back around. Guess I'll have to be patient. I'd like to help you out, but I'm the technologically challenged one of the bunch! LOL!!!

I too love the feel of the sun.... my hair gets tangled enough when I have the sun roof open in the Intrigue! LOL!!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM

Hi welcome to the site.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM

I will post pics ASAP! And we jeep in don't tease me bro!!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM

I truely understand the desire - welcome to the site!

Start by figuring out what your budget is, what kind of condition the car can be in, what color or options you prefer, and what your skills are at fixing one up.

Searching craigslist is one of the best way to find one, but you might need to search the whole country to find just the right one. I went clear across the US for mine and was lucky enough to be able to drive her home!

Post pics of your hardtop - I like them and the wagons, too. They are much quieter than a vert because they have a top...
Look through the "site help" section - there are easy instructions on how to post pics (use the "manage attachments" button and follow the instructions.)
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Welcome.
Where are you located? Somebody in your area may have or know of something around.

You burn up in a convertible on a hot summer day with the top down.
There more of spring, fall, morning and evening cars.
You can crank the A/C at full blast with the top down and stay a little cooler, if you have it.

All convertibles should have powerful windows, makes transformation much easier.
Nothing worse than a lazy convertible owner that leaves the quarter windows up or drives around wearing a rodder's cap with the top down, MG type 2 seaters for hats only.
I would wear a Sherlock Holmes houndstooth deerstalker cap and smoke a big curvy Calabash pipe if I had one of those British electrically challenged vehicles.

I saw a few '72's on cars online, go from 15 to...70K?

http://www.cars-on-line.com/

A couple of Craigslist multiple search engines.
A lot easier than searching each individual one like the old days.

http://craiglook.com/

http://www.searchallcraigs.com/
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....I would wear a Sherlock Holmes houndstooth deerstalker cap and smoke a big curvy Calabash pipe if I had one of those British electrically challenged vehicles.

I'm sure you would look..... dashing.... too! LOL!!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! I stay in East Texas, what i really want to happen is maybe sell my 72 or trade it.Maybe when i get the pics up somebody can guide me on how much i can sell my for. It is a nice hardtop but needs to be finished. I could but i want my drop top!!!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by moyo75701
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah i know its nothing wrong with a hard top but i always liked the feeling of just riding around the city on a summer day just you in the sun. I having a hard time putting my pics up im new to this maybe if i could e_mail them to you can you post them for me. Or tell me how.
Moyo,
Lots of newbies have expressed this same problem trouble posting pics (myself included when I joined up) Through trial / error and some help from other members I've found the best way is to:
1. create a photobucket account - its free
2. upload all the photos of your car to the photobucket account.
3. To include them in your post, you can copy and paste up to 23 pictures (1 at a time) to your post.

Process? I've found it easier to have the CO website up on one tab, and my photobucket account on another. Then you just have to flip back and forth between tabs as you copy and paste. You'll get the hang of it really quick. Youll find that everyone on this site LOVES pics; the more the better their appetite is sated. (hmmm good word - sated) If you run into any problems, PM me and let me know where you're at, we can take it from there.

There is another way to upload pics from "my pictures" on your pc, but it means downsizing the pics to fit the parameters of the upload for jpg.s I don't like using it because it's really limiting for size and resolution, plus you can only do 5 images/post.

I know you'll find your dream ride soon. Watch out for the crazy prices sellers want as the spring/summer months approach. That's when the demand for verts gets really high, and with it bigger $$$$$.

BTW, you can put a picture in your avatar section: go to user CP and set it up. If you'd like one of the cool sig pics many of us are sporting, check this link and have JON make one for you, he does it for free: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...light=sig+pics

Well, that's a fair chunk to chew on for now......good luck!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Welcome to the site...Good luck finding the convertible of your dreams...
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Pics 101

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “ Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.

There is a size limit on pics
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:46 AM

Talking Welcome to CO

Good luck with your search, hope you find a droptop. I would like one as well only in my case it would have to be a 48 or a 57
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM

All I can say is BE PATIENT. I too started out with a 1972 hardtop (pictured in my avatar) and I JUST purchased a 1971 ragtop from a post on THIS site. I wanted a 72, but its easy enough to make a 71 appear to be a 72..

Guys, here is a link to another site that is VB based. The principles of posting pics is exactly the same. Perhaps you could make it a sticky over here. I give the admins permission to use its content. (being that I own the site it's coming from in case anyone is wondering )

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31000

John

Last edited by Eightupman; February 4th, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM

Pics

Finally figured out how to post some pics. Enjoy!!
009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:30 AM
...should get a life....

You shouldn't find it too difficult to locate a nice 72 convertible. I watched the market for 3 months from Oct to Dec, mainly looking for a 442, and there were quite a few to choose from across a range of $$$ and conditions. I guess it depends on whether you want to buy a nice one and drive it, or spend a few dollars doing one up. Plenty of good websites which I've naturally had to rely on being on the other side of the planet and plenty of transport companies so don't let distance be a barrier. Hell, if I can buy one from North Carolina then Texas is like living next door to every Olds in the USA.
The beauty of this forum is that there's a good chance that one of the members will be close by and be able to check a car out for you.
I elected to buy one already restored because of the hassles and cost of shipping bits'n'pieces out to Australia so I paid mid $20s for what I hope is a real nice car. But you can pay way less for a reasonable driver that needs a little tidy up.
There's a triple red 442 for $19,500 on www.442.com which looks nice. I was talking to the guy but then the big block came along and I bought it instead.
www.oldride.com is where I found my car and http://www.vast.com/cars/used-for-sa...condition-Used might be useful also.
Good luck.
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Cutlass Lover

Moyo... Thanks for the pics! Looks like a nice car! I have to say that I don't like the wheels/tires in the avatar pic, though! But that's just me!
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Moyo... Thanks for the pics! Looks like a nice car! I have to say that I don't like the wheels/tires in the avatar pic, though! But that's just me!
X2 Donk wheels will probably get a strong reaction on this forum. I know the paint you've got there is very expensive and exacting to lay down. I think it suits a more modern car better though. You've got a classic and somehow it just doesn't look right. BTW I know that someone is trying for an interior "theme" with the white dash pad. They were deliberately left black on interior white cars to reduce reflection on the windshield. Hope you enjoy your ride. I'm sure any of us that see you cruzin will know who it is right away.
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yeh I have to admit I have a problem seeing wheels bigger than 18" on any classic. I have every intention of putting 17" five spoke chrome show wheels on my '72 when it gets here. Its an orange car with orange wheels and that's too much vitamin C for me. I was a purist until the guy who bought my Road Runner sent me a pic with the 17"s he'd put on it and it looked nice. But 18"+s don't do it for me.... and like Sandy, that's just me.
The Road Runner before and after 17's pics follow. Apologies for the size of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0228.jpg (126.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC01024.jpg (104.9 KB, 58 views)
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Col,
Your RR looks great in both pics. Guess it depends a lot on the car, but those 17's actually look more agressive and set the car off nicely. I'm curious though, for each wheel size you go up, what does that do to the speedo and performance? Or do you just compensate the larger wheel for smaller profile tires? Are those torguethrusts? Actually they look a lot like the wheels on Richards 66 vert.

Don't worry about the pics being small, I supersized them for ya!! You want fries with that?

Old February 5th, 2010, 05:50 PM

I guess different strokes for different folks!!I agree to some dergee people can go too big!!! But i like to fill up wheel well . And what is the use of having a classic and not putting your own fingerprint on it.(Paint and wheels) People always see cars and say to themself if i had one i would of that done it a differnt way. Either different paint, wheels, or interior. (Digital dash or OG style)!! It's kind of like art but the car is the canvas. I guess i'm still young. No different from when guys put the hot rod tires on the back. Or the fellows who like to ride low.But i enjoy all types styles!
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
...should get a life....

[quote=Allan R;146392]Col,
Your RR looks great in both pics. Guess it depends a lot on the car, but those 17's actually look more agressive and set the car off nicely. I'm curious though, for each wheel size you go up, what does that do to the speedo and performance? Or do you just compensate the larger wheel for smaller profile tires? Are those torguethrusts? Actually they look a lot like the wheels on Richards 66 vert.

Don't worry about the pics being small, I supersized them for ya!! You want fries with that?

I'm no expert of the wheel size impact on speedo / performance but I'm thinking the tyres are probably around 3" lower in profile than the ones on the 14" rims so with 17s it should be around the same. I think those wheels might be torquethrusts. 17x8 rear & 17x7 front. Whatever they are they look nice and I think they'll suit the Olds too.

And you're absolutely right Moyo...different strokes. When I was a young bloke I had a panel van (we all did) which was jacked up really high at the back and low at the front with lake pipes and other weird ***** hanging of it and it was the coolest car in the world. Looking back now it was about as sharp as the clothes we were wearing back then. Body shirts with contrast stitching, wide ties with pictures on them, two tone platform soled shoes and triple button, high wasted ,flared, pin-striped, cuffed trousers with a buckle at the back.

Last edited by Col Wickham; February 5th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

[quote=Col Wickham;146445]
Originally Posted by Allan R
............Looking back now it was about as sharp as the clothes we were wearing back then. Body shirts with contrast stitching, wide ties with pictures on them, two tone platform soled shoes and triple button, high wasted ,flared, pin-striped, cuffed trousers with a buckle at the back.
Hey, I remember wearing all that "cool" ***** back then too! Guess it just goes to show how things evolve over time. Same with the wheels. Everything evolves. I guess where I have personal demons is looking at 21s or 22s with a bead of 3/4 inch rubber filling the wheel well. Somehow the "donk" look just doesn't work for me, no matter how much bling bling and eye candy you put in or on the car.