The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

67 Cutlass won't crank or start

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM

67 Cutlass won't crank or start

My 67 Cutlass Supreme, 330 motor was running great then the ignition switch went out. I replace it and then sometimes when I tried to start the car, nothing happen. No starter noise, nothing. The battery is up. Now it will not start at all. Also half of my fuses have power to them. I am lost and confussed. what is wrong?
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. First, are you sure the switch you put in is good? Was it a new item or a junkyard part? Second, is the neutral safety switch good and in the closed position? Not sure where it would be on a '67 but probably on the column if it is a column shift. Fourth, do you have a good ground from the block to the battery? It is probably on the front of the engine, again not sure about the exact location on a '67. Finally, you should verify that the starter motor is good if everything else is. I said this last because is would probably require the most work physically to remove/replace. Good luck
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

Moved to new members forum, we want everyone to see thread and welcome you.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Rob, [a.k.a Sparky] can help ya out.
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, to clarify, your problem is that your starter won't activate when you turn the switch?
And, in addition, you have a problem with power to your fusebox?

You need to check the wiring diagram for your car and see whether the pattern of fuses that are out corresponds to a particular feed line (Like maybe the one from the ignition switch?). If so, then that may be your starter problem as well. Since the switch is the most recent thing you've played with, problems with the plug there are the most likely.

If the switch and plug prove good, look in the purple and purple-and-white line from the starter terminal of the ignition switch, through the neutral safety switch, to the starter.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM

i also have a 330ci, so i'm guessing the wiring is similar in your car as in mine. one problem that i encounter time to time is that i will get no response what-so-ever when i turn the key, especially when the car has not been started for a while. when i am running it regularly, the problem is almost non-existant. the culprit....the power distribution block mounted on the driver side wheel well in the engine compartment. when this happens to me, i just have someone giggle the wires coming off that block, all of them, while i turn the key, and almost immediately it will start turning. i obviosly have a touchy connection on that power block somewhere. i havn't quite identified what connection it is, everything seems to be connected firmly. it never caused me any real inconvenience, just one of those old car hickups. give that a try, just for kicks, as it will probably be your easiest remedy, if that's the problem. it could be something else, but always check the easy obvious possibilities first. you never know, a couple giggles of that power block might get her started.