The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'67 442 Convertible New Guy

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2009, 07:46 AM

'67 442 Convertible New Guy

Just wanted to say hello and I think this is a great site. Looks as if there is a lot of experience and a vast amount of knowledge here. Looking forward to the experience. I have a 1967 Cutlass 442 convertible that is in the tear down stage. After I bought it I found that the frame was totally rusted out. Picked up a good frame and now I am getting ready to clean it up, pull the body off the old frame, and then start the build up of a rolling chassis. I wasn't looking at a frame off restoration when I bought the car but that's what it is going to be. Glad that I am retired and now have the time.
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
car guy

Welcome Jay. You will find lots of good people and knowledge here.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:12 PM

Nice '66 Convertible

Richard,

Just read the thread about your restoration/rebuild/fabrication. Great job and a fantastic car. Gives me an idea what is ahead for me. I'll try to take time tomorrow and post some of the pictures that I have taken of my project.

Again, great looking car.

Jay
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Sounds like you've got a plan.

Richard's resto thread is one of my favorites also.
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:44 AM

I think that's the going to be the best approach; have a plan, but being able to adapt and change as the project progresses. Not being a professional and this my first attempt at body work, I think I will be learning alot from this forum and trial and error. They say that experience is the best teacher.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your work and progress! You're in good hands on this site.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM

Thanks Mike. Your before tear down picture looks a lot better than what I have. Check out some pics I just put on this morning.

Jay
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:19 AM

Welcome to CO

Jay D,

Glad your willing to tackle a frame off. This scares a lot of guys off. Richards thead it a great example of what hard work and inovation can create. Good luck and post those pictures.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jay D
Richard,

Just read the thread about your restoration/rebuild/fabrication. Great job and a fantastic car. Gives me an idea what is ahead for me. I'll try to take time tomorrow and post some of the pictures that I have taken of my project.

Again, great looking car.

Jay
Thanks Jay I look forward to seeing yours.
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM

Frame Off

Pat,
I really didn't have a choice. After I purchased the 442 I found that the frame was rusted through in several places. I guess I am somewhat like Richard; don't want to let go of my money. I have been involved with cars since I was 14 years old. Worked for a couple of dealships in the 60's and always did my own work but not to the extent of body work or restorations; mostly mechanical. I finally gave it up in the mid to late 80's due to the amount of special equipment that is required for maintenace. I kept all my tools, and continue to collect more, so now that I have time I can tackle this project.

Just received my rotissori a couple of weeks ago and the newer frame is sitting on it as I type. The car is at our lake house where we are going to retire and I am there most of the time. Had to come back to St. Louis for appointments but will be going back down Thursday. Can't wait to get back to work on the car.

Jay
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:35 AM

Sounds good Jay, post those pictures when you get back to work on the car. We are all interested in watching builds. I will be starting on my 48 soon and will do likewise.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. Jay
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM

OK, the wife and I went to Hot August Nights in Reno this year, our first time, and now the juices are flowing again. I highly recommend this car show; lots of cars and other venues to attend. The 442 sat for almost a year without any work on it. My wife has now retired and we have moved to our retirement home at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. The garage is mine again and I have pulled the engine/trans, rear end, gas tank, and exhaust. The new frame has been blasted and I will paint it next week. After that I am going to start the rolling chassis build. I have decided to keep the drum brakes but will use all new front end parts. Surprising how much rust and dirt a car can accumulate overtime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0358.jpg (55.0 KB, 16 views)
005.jpg (71.7 KB, 13 views)
DSCN0366.jpg (41.2 KB, 14 views)
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Super looking shop Jay, looks like you have plenty of room for the project. Cars shows always seem to jump start projects.
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Getting There

Great to see another one saved..... keep us updated