The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

'55 Sedan from Belgium, Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2016, 08:59 PM

'55 Sedan from Belgium, Europe

Hi guys,

I just bought a '55 sedan 88, needs some work. It was built in the GM factory in Antwerp, Belgium (which is now closed) and then shipped to the USA, to come back a few years later.
Hoping to get some help and info here, I had a '61 impala and a '50 fleetline, both Chevy's but I already learned finding info and parts for Oldsmobiles is not that easy as it was with chevy (at least here where I live)...

Engine and a few other were rebuilt somewhere in the 90s and hasn't run a lot since, now I am doing some work on it cause it had a knock, I believe it is the timing chain. Ordered some parts from Fusick (shipping it here was more expensive than the parts themselves) and Rockauto and now awaiting delivery...

Already put a new carpet in etc, did some work on the electricity

So...Hello :-)

Old May 27th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Now she sits like this in the garage :-)

Old May 28th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Welcome, Nice Car.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, very nice car.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Welcome aboard,

Love the 50's cars and yours looks beautiful.

What makes you think that it is the timing chain? there isn't much slack just looking at it from 6,000 miles away but generally a rod knock and timing chain don't sound the same. Is the oil gage showing good pressure?... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Welcome aboard,

Love the 50's cars and yours looks beautiful.

What makes you think that it is the timing chain? there isn't much slack just looking at it from 6,000 miles away but generally a rod knock and timing chain don't sound the same. Is the oil gage showing good pressure?... Lost in the fifties ...Tedd
Tedd,
The reason I think it is the chain is that the knock is not continously, sometimes it goes away and then back again. I tried to locate it by holding a small iron bar against the knuckle/on the ear and the other end on different parts of the engine, while it was running offcourse, and on the timing cover it was really distinctively loud. When i took the pan off, i felt all the push rod bearings and they all seem fine...i tried to put on an aftermarket oil gauge at the same place the original is connected, but its so hard to reach...the original gauge indicates around 50 when idling, according to the manual that should be fine. I however ordered an oil pump repair kit from Fusick as well. There was some slack on the chain, could pull it of the top sprocket (not completely) so hopefully the knock will be gone...its not the fuel pump or waterpump either...
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:02 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Welcome to the site. You have come to the best place on the internet for Oldsmobile owners. There are a bunch of us on here living in the 50's with our Oldsmobiles. These are great cars and were built at a time when Oldsmobile was building some of the best cars made. You are correct in that the line for the oil pressure gage is hard to reach. I have a kill switch I want to put on my 54 for the electric fuel pump that works off oil pressure. I don't think I will ever get it installed. Nice looking car.
Old May 28th, 2016, 08:24 AM

Nice car, desirable Super 88. The people on this site will be of great help.
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Thanks a lot guys, looking forward to reading on these fora and learning a lot more about these beauties
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You should start an album in your profile of this car. It looks stunning!

If the engine was rebuilt in the 90's and hasn't run in a long time? Your timing chain looks good, are you sure it's not a stuck lifter? Isolate it to one side or the other with a listening device.

Did you convert from 6V to 12V?
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM

What a find, WOW.....Any help you need can be found right here! Robski!!!
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Hey Allan, 55 was the third year of the 12 volt Oldsmobile. I know you drive one of those new cars from 1972.
Old May 28th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Hey Allan, 55 was the third year of the 12 volt Oldsmobile. I know you drive one of those new cars from 1972.
oops, thanks Glenn. Yeah, new in 72. I remember that feeling all so well. It was quite a rush then, and it still feels good today. Funny how each generation has their own time machines, isn't it?
Old May 28th, 2016, 07:20 PM

Great car. My brother had a '54 Ninety-Eight and it was built like a tank. Interesting the Eighty-Eight made it's way back home. Never knew GM had a plant in Belgium and was building Oldsmobile's. Do you know why the Eighty-Eight was shipped to the United States, and later shipped back to Belgium?
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:42 PM

I am figuring put the excact history on this one, I have some documentation with it but it's a bit confusing, but when I figure it out I'll surely post it here.
It was indeed already 12V. The chain looks fine on the picture but it was slacking, however if it is not the knocking problem i figured it can never hurt to change it :-)
The sound really comes from the bottom-front end of the engine, pretty sure it's not a stuck lifter, but i'm not 100% sure. Problem is, living in Belgium, Olds parts are literally NOWHERE to be found, so I have to order everything online, making it quite expensive (shipping, import taxes etc) and refunds or send backs are a no-go :-) plus waiting time etc etc...
The car does have some serious cosmetic flaws: front and rear bumper are de-chromed and pitted ( rechroming it costs 1200$ each) rear panels are bondo'ed and starting to crack...the hood is missing the chrome lip...but I will fix all of this :-)