The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

488 stroker lacks power

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 03:06 AM

Okay fellows, the photos are on the way (when I figure how to post them) and hopefully showing this thing standing on its tail. Now to answer some questions about Australia drag racing. We run virtually all the classes and cars you run over in the USA but possibility with a different format. In all of your top classes EG(nitro, alcohol, and what we call doorslammers which all run under 6 seconds standing 1/4) and of course pro stock. We are similar but then what I can make out is we step out into the slower times that is where we very. I don't know about over there, but over here we even run a class called powder puff for the "little women" to race against each other and then come back and tell you what is wrong with the car?. Actually this motor was built for the "little women" ( AKA, HANDBRAKE ) to race in the powder puff series and believe it or not, she is not sure what is wrong?. As drag racing is followed quite strongly in Australia but we don't seem to have the money and sponsors as you have in the states. Now I have made some lite humour I will explain what the HANDBRAKE is. If you pull her on you will not be going any wear. Hoping its dry tomorrow so that I can drive the car to see if the timing is some of the problem.

Paul

Last edited by allaussieolds; June 1st, 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM

She is a goer

Hi fellows. Weather broke so we took it for a drive this morning and we have found some torque and horsepower. Finely the car wanted to leave some rubber on the road and even in top gear, but the proof is in the pudding when we take it to the track and see what it can really do. As we have said one thing at a time so once we do a bit of tuning we will turn our focus to see if we can fit some form of headers in. Still working on the photos

Paul

Last edited by allaussieolds; June 2nd, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM

As mention earlier, is there room to build wheel well headers?

great to hear timing has made a difference.
Might move the timing up to total of 40 and see how it response.
If to much back it down 2 at a time.

What the most of us here do is bracket racing.
For me div 7 we run,
sportsman =12.00 & slower with mufflers, no trans brake
Pro = all times, NO electronic's w/trans brake
Super-pro = all times all electronics's
High school
Trophy

Basically all of us low dollar guys, Non pro, no sponsor types .
What do you guys do?

Gene

Last edited by 64Rocket; June 1st, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Might move the timing up to total of 40 and see how it response.
If to much back it down 2 at a time.
Gene
Gene,

Curious as to why you would jump right to 40? Why wouldn't you just add 2* at a time from 34? That's a whole lot safer way of doing it.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:55 AM

I think Steve is on to something with the timing. Get good equipment so you can really know what is going on. Also, I have experienced some bad (HP) things with inferior distributor items. I haven't changed them due to other priorities, but I'm certain about needing to change my stuff. I agree that while the exhaust manifolds are restrictive, they are not the cause of the power loss-I think 30-50HP tops. There are so many factors in a "tune" that can make a difference, but you need to verify that timing. You CAN make power with that combo.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:13 PM

I read thru this thread and from what I can see no one asked this question. Since you used an Eagle crank, there any possibility you got hold of a 425 block by accident- one of the 425's with the .842 lifter bores, but with the 45 degree lifter angle instead of the 455 39 degree angle. If you have the letter off the timing cover lip we can check it.

Much as I hate to say it this happened to me way back when I was starting to play with Olds motors. The engine would run really crappy and had no power cause the passenger side of the motor was 6 degrees retarded from the driver side. It would run but no power to speak of--we never did take it to the strip. I do remember the headers glowing red at idle on the pass side, but your cast manifolds may be hiding that.

The easiest fix would be to get a cam ground for a 45 degree motor--if that is the problem. Would cost more for the cam (I think you could use a bit more cam anyway) but way cheaper than canning the block with all your machine work.

BTW, I wasn't the one that pulled the block out of the pile. Good luck.

Last edited by docolds456; June 2nd, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:51 PM

We verified the lifter bank angle and cam by dial indicator on #1 and checking lift against TDC, Then we repeated the process by rotating the motor 360 degrees and checking against #6 lift and TDC. Also the plugs would of shown signs of carbon/soot on one side bank more then the other bank. I must agree with daves post that good testing equipment is a must when you start to play with these high performance motors. I think trip deuce mention early in the post about the timing but I did check it and it was running at 36 degrees with the old light. I wish that the light would of packed it in a lot early then now, but I still do not understand how it was reading wrong as it works on a pulse/electric current from # 1 lead. We may have to leave that one to the horse power gods. At the moment I will leave the timing where it is as it is performing a lot better but when we take it out to the track for a test and tune day I will increase it 2 degrees at a time and see how it runs and also its top end speed (MPH). At the moment we have the 770 avenger on the motor which is working fine. We will sort out the timing and may give the 850 hp carby a whirl and see if that improves it. And Gene, give me a bit of time and I will post most of the classes we run over here.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:43 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by allaussieolds
We verified the lifter bank angle and cam by dial indicator on #1 and checking lift against TDC, Then we repeated the process by rotating the motor 360 degrees and checking against #6 lift and TDC. Also the plugs would of shown signs of carbon/soot on one side bank more then the other bank. I must agree with daves post that good testing equipment is a must when you start to play with these high performance motors. I think trip deuce mention early in the post about the timing but I did check it and it was running at 36 degrees with the old light. I wish that the light would of packed it in a lot early then now, but I still do not understand how it was reading wrong as it works on a pulse/electric current from # 1 lead. We may have to leave that one to the horse power gods. At the moment I will leave the timing where it is as it is performing a lot better but when we take it out to the track for a test and tune day I will increase it 2 degrees at a time and see how it runs and also its top end speed (MPH). At the moment we have the 770 avenger on the motor which is working fine. We will sort out the timing and may give the 850 hp carby a whirl and see if that improves it. And Gene, give me a bit of time and I will post most of the classes we run over here.
So, what is the letter code on the block?? BTW, when we made the "mistake" 30+ yrs ago, the motor didn't build up any soot--it ran way hot on the retarded side-like WAY hot. The correct side was ok of course. I would think a quick look-see wouldn't be too hard.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM

The numbers and letter above the timing cover are 396021 F
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:03 PM

some photos

Here are some photos guys even though they are not the best we will try and post some good ones in the next few weeks for you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
193.jpg (56.8 KB, 44 views)
194.jpg (47.1 KB, 36 views)
195.jpg (42.5 KB, 37 views)
198.jpg (54.6 KB, 37 views)
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:05 AM

The distributor has about 1/4 " of room from the firewall and it has rubber engine mounts. It gives everyone an idea that these things don't have a great deal of room in the engine bay. Had I known or done more research that the distributor came in a white box I would of purchased a msd but as we rely the internet now a days and its a bit hard for myself to just drop to mondellos to see what I was purchasing we have ended up with what we have. At the moment the motor feels very strong but we will see.

Last edited by allaussieolds; June 4th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.