The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1970 Cutlass Supreme

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2015 | 03:48 PM

Thumbs up 1970 Cutlass Supreme

Hey guys! my name's Matthew and I bought myself a nice little present last March, a 1970 Cutlass Supreme. Her name is Iris and she has a 350 with a 4bbl carb. I found this site when I bought her and it has been a great help to me in figuring out more about my car I figured it was about time for me to join an amazing community of fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts, so here I am and i'm glad to join y'all!

Cutlass.jpg
Old April 30th, 2015 | 04:39 PM

Nice ride! And welcome to the site. You'll find this place full of knowledgeable and helpful folk; from the expert to the novice (like myself).
Any plans for the car? It looks pretty tight. How many miles?
Oh, and btw, more pics, please
Old April 30th, 2015 | 06:08 PM

Thanks! Based on one of the receipts that was left by a previous owner, I believe it has about 175k on it, but I think that at some point the engine was rebuilt. As of right now I'm leaning towards keeping it mostly original, but it's not too important to me if it is or not. The only major thing that really needs to be done is body work and the original color (Twilight Blue) to be put on it. It used to have a white vinyl top on it as well, but I don't think I'm going to put that back on, plus I don't have any of the chrome trim that goes around the top and I can only find the end caps. As for the pictures, I will try and get some good ones and post them tomorrow!
Old April 30th, 2015 | 07:37 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Matthew, Iris is a sweet ride.
Old May 1st, 2015 | 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Nice ride! And welcome to the site. You'll find this place full of knowledgeable and helpful folk; from the expert to the novice (like myself).
Any plans for the car? It looks pretty tight. How many miles?
Oh, and btw, more pics, please
Sorry about the pictures it was the best I could do for now
Cutlass1.jpg

Cutlass2.jpg

Cutlass3.jpg

Cutlass4.jpg

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site Matthew, Iris is a sweet ride.
Thanks a lot!
Old May 2nd, 2015 | 12:18 PM

No! Don't replace the vinyl top. It looks great as a hard top. I'm considering pulling off mine. But right now I'm making the switch from a sienna interior to black, like yours.
And I like that blue. Looks like a cobalt blue. Very nice.
If you wanna' have some fun; think about an under-hood detailing. Or pull that baby out of the bay altogether and really have at it like I did

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Macadoo; May 2nd, 2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2015 | 07:22 PM

No! Don't replace the vinyl top. It looks great as a hard top. I'm considering pulling off mine. But right now I'm making the switch from a sienna interior to black, like yours.
And I like that blue. Looks like a cobalt blue. Very nice.
If you wanna' have some fun; think about an under-hood detailing. Or pull that baby out of the bay altogether and really have at it like I did

[IMG][/IMG]
I am probably just going to keep it a hardtop. I also agree with you about the color. I like it, but in the pictures you can't see how iffy it actually is. The color itself is nice but it looks like it was a really cheap job, there was no body work done and a few spots of overspray. Plus on the front of the hood there is a spot where it is flaking off My interior is actually a pearl with brown carpet, but i'm not too fond of the brown. I have been thinking about putting in a nice black carpet as well, I think that will go much better with the pearl. I would love to start doing some detailing under the hood, but i think i'm gonna save up for the paint first and then the engine will be the frosting on the cake
Old May 2nd, 2015 | 07:24 PM

Oh and that engine looks great! Amazing job
Old May 2nd, 2015 | 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mspalding3
I am probably just going to keep it a hardtop. I also agree with you about the color. I like it, but in the pictures you can't see how iffy it actually is. The color itself is nice but it looks like it was a really cheap job, there was no body work done and a few spots of overspray. Plus on the front of the hood there is a spot where it is flaking off My interior is actually a pearl with brown carpet, but i'm not too fond of the brown. I have been thinking about putting in a nice black carpet as well, I think that will go much better with the pearl. I would love to start doing some detailing under the hood, but i think i'm gonna save up for the paint first and then the engine will be the frosting on the cake
Oh, lol, sorry. I was looking at the dash, not the seats. I'm getting ready to dye mine black so it was nice to see what it might look like.
I can see why you wouldn't want brown carpet. New isn't too heart-stopping. This is what I went with. I haven't had it out of the box yet but I'll let you know what I think of it in a few weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321446379302...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry about your paint. Good paint jobs are kinda' pricey
Old May 2nd, 2015 | 08:20 PM

Oh and that engine looks great! Amazing job
Thanks man. It's my first so I'm kind of proud of that little small block
Old May 2nd, 2015 | 08:43 PM

Oh, lol, sorry. I was looking at the dash, not the seats. I'm getting ready to dye mine black so it was nice to see what it might look like.
I can see why you wouldn't want brown carpet. New isn't too heart-stopping. This is what I went with. I haven't had it out of the box yet but I'll let you know what I think of it in a few weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321446379302...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry about your paint. Good paint jobs are kinda' pricey
Yeah, let me know how it goes and make sure I see some pictures of it! I'm going to be hating myself when I get it painted lol. Probably 8k easy.
Old May 3rd, 2015 | 04:34 PM

Yeah, let me know how it goes and make sure I see some pictures of it! I'm going to be hating myself when I get it painted lol. Probably 8k easy.
Probably :-/