The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:28 PM

I was feeling a little mischievious this morning, maybe too much coffee. I thought I was being midly amusing.
Unfortunetly no "special" 403 cu.in. block. Hope I wasn't being out of line. I think they call it "trolling" if I understand that term correctly. I don't want to be a troll.

With all due respect to all of you

Mike
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
I was feeling a little mischievious this morning, maybe too much coffee. I thought I was being midly amusing.
Unfortunetly no "special" 403 cu.in. block. Hope I wasn't being out of line. I think they call it "trolling" if I understand that term correctly. I don't want to be a troll.
With all due respect to all of you
Mike
This is a car that I used as a daily driver for eleven years. I purchased the Cutlass as a potential parts car for the W32 but I changed my mind. The Cutlass had very few options and if I were going to have her as a daily driver, I needed more options and so a lot of options were added over the years.
Here are some photographs

Last edited by crystal59; June 24th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:50 PM

nice looking ride !Good to see it's out being enjoyed!
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Sweet!!!
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by qjetolds
nice looking ride !Good to see it's out being enjoyed!
Thank You. A fun car to drive.
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Gorgeous droptop there Gary
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Gorgeous droptop there Gary

Thank You. Here is the GM documentation on the Cutlass.
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks for posting. So where's the 1 of 18 stat?
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM

What happened to the camaraderie here on the CO?? When we all just said "Welcome to Classic Olds and what a beautiful W-32 drop top you have there" I don't remember Gary asking anyone to verify if his car is real. I do know he posted it here to share with those of us that aren't "brow beating" his car to pieces. He (Gary) did say that he specified A/C and he wouldn't accept the car otherwise and he did tell us the unfortunate series of events that led up to the replacement engine.

So with that being said I believe that he knows what he has and if you cannot comment on a good note then I ask to not comment at all. Gary has told me that he does not want to be part of any forum that picks his car apart. So come on guys lets criticize someone else on another thread that wants the criticism.

Now he does welcome positive comments and will answer questions that aren't negative in any way. That was a great question Gator about the top. Gary may or may not have stated that so far. As roughly 50% of this thread has been negative and unwelcoming as I've seen the Classic Olds forum get and although they think they are doing someone a favor they are actually making this thread look and feel just like the ROP forum.
I see Diego's comment above and I think we should clear a few things up here. Gary made a number of assertions that were apparently incorrect. When people go back and search for information on 69 W32's or 69 Cutlass 4 speed convertibles they may read this and feel it's the gospel truth (just like Gary felt the need to contact Barrett-Jackson to educate them about the number of W32's convertibles currently known). There were undoubtably more than 25 4 speed Cutlass convertibles in 69. There MAY have been 25 imported into Canada. Although it's imperative that the data plate (or Vin) on a W32 be from Lansing, there isn't any information on the data plate or VIN in themselves that identify the car as a W32. In fact there were probably hundreds of 442's in 69 that had the exact same data plate (well maybe not down to the week, but you get the idea). I think it's important that Gary knows the best way to present his documentation, (what is important and what's not). I think if Gary had presented the GM of Canada Documentation with the car it would have avoided all the pissing back and forth. I also don't think Gary cares what anyone else thinks, and quite frankly, if I had bought the car new, I wouldn't either.

Last edited by allyolds68; June 26th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM

parts car????

Ohhh man both rides are gorgeous I do like the under bumper scoops too thx for sharing
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Ohhh man both rides are gorgeous I do like the under bumper scoops too thx for sharing
It appears that this thread has run it's course.
Old June 26th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Love the color of this Cutlass! I could easily see how this would be a very enjoyable daily driver!

Originally Posted by crystal59
This is a car that I used as a daily driver for eleven years. I purchased the Cutlass as a potential parts car for the W32 but I changed my mind. The Cutlass had very few options and if I were going to have her as a daily driver, I needed more options and so a lot of options were added over the years.
Here are some photographs

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM

?

Did I say something wrong? I was just complimenting both rides and I like the w31 look on the cutlass , I also have a 69 cutlass 4 speed that use to have a 350 and came with a posi rear heavy duty suspension, it was originally the same color as your 442 with a gold interior , then someone painted it black before I got it. I always thought of adding the w-31 stuff to the 350 I was honestly complimenting both cars I don't know where the 1 of 18 comes from as I believe that would have been for a 4 speed convertible w 31 but I don't follow all that , I'm just a fan of convertibles and 4 speeds no offense meant in my post at all
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Did I say something wrong? I was just complimenting both rides and I like the w31 look on the cutlass , I also have a 69 cutlass 4 speed that use to have a 350 and came with a posi rear heavy duty suspension, it was originally the same color as your 442 with a gold interior , then someone painted it black before I got it. I always thought of adding the w-31 stuff to the 350 I was honestly complimenting both cars I don't know where the 1 of 18 comes from as I believe that would have been for a 4 speed convertible w 31 but I don't follow all that , I'm just a fan of convertibles and 4 speeds no offense meant in my post at all
Hi Eddie. None taken. I enjoyed your posts because in my view you are a true car enthusiast who is a fan of what the car is or has become rather than the documentation and the rest of all that stuff that takes away from the moment. It is guys like yourself that got me involved in the forum. The love of classic cars period. Not what the documentation is or the resale. Who cares? None of my collectors cars will be sold by me. I have been told it is one of the best collections in Western Canada but that leads the nitpickers to say what do you have and how do you know that. It becomes boring after a while.

Last edited by crystal59; June 27th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Oh, then I sincerely apologize for taking away from the moment.
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Just read this for the 1st time - beautiful cars and can appreciate the rarity of both!
Having worked for Nickey in 69+70, in parts, am well aware of 'dealer -installed options', as I sold many "take-out" motors, add A/C kits, [yes, it came to the dealer as a kit] etc. Was also part of a few that tried almost anything to 'go around' the order sheets.
Good memories of back then!!
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM

Thank You for the post. I had a few non believers out there who got a little aggressive at times in my view. I am glad you could help clear this up. I was there and I know what happened and what was done by my dealer.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:24 PM

Was reading this thread and noticed this today on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item3f243fc58c
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by thoulihan
Was reading this thread and noticed this today on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item3f243fc58c
That is a good price. Mine was appraised at 118,500.
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Appraisal

That is a good price. Mine was appraised at 118,500.
Really?. I am shocked. May I ask what is the annual insurance premium on that car?
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Really?. I am shocked. May I ask what is the annual insurance premium on that car?
Here is the appraisal.

I have car fleet insurance.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Nice I believe that price is rather low for what it is. But it is a good # to start with considering the rarity as well as the desirability.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM

I have a '70 cutlass supreme convertible 4-speed, and a letter from GM saying 71 of them in '70. Generally, I would expect about the sam enumber if not a few more in '69. This was when interest in 4-speeds was declining, along with interest in the color black...
Steve

Other than the documentation that I received from GM out of curiosity more than anything as I do not sell the cars I have purchased over the years, does anyone have any documentation on the production number of a 1969 Cutlass S or Cutlass Supreme factory 4 speed convertible? Must be set out somewhere.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:20 PM

Nice I believe that price is rather low for what it is. But it is a good # to start with considering the rarity as well as the desirability.
Thank You. Not for sale though. The 442 handling saved my life. We are bonded.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
I have a '70 cutlass supreme convertible 4-speed, and a letter from GM saying 71 of them in '70. Generally, I would expect about the sam enumber if not a few more in '69. This was when interest in 4-speeds was declining, along with interest in the color black...
Steve
Is that GM in the US. Any contact information?
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM

Is that GM in the US. Any contact information?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (19.0 KB, 76 views)
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Thank You.
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Great pics!
Old April 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by halfmoontrail
Steve
Three points to address:

1. The letter posted is for M21 cars. What about M20? Certainly they were more numerous.

2. I think more remarkable than "interest in 4-speeds was declining" is that the Cutlass Supreme is not a performance car and, hence, was less likely to be ordered with a 4-speed.

3. Black was never a popular color for a muscle car. For a car like a Cutlass Supreme? I dunno, but I think the color was much more popular on a big sedan. If anything, I think black Cutlasses would become *more* popular as the 1970s progressed, but that's just a theory.
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Diego
Three points to address:

1. The letter posted is for M21 cars. What about M20? Certainly they were more numerous.

2. I think more remarkable than "interest in 4-speeds was declining" is that the Cutlass Supreme is not a performance car and, hence, was less likely to be ordered with a 4-speed.

3. Black was never a popular color for a muscle car. For a car like a Cutlass Supreme? I dunno, but I think the color was much more popular on a big sedan. If anything, I think black Cutlasses would become *more* popular as the 1970s progressed, but that's just a theory.

My plan is to write for 1969 information and will post the result. Here are photographs getting ready for good weather.

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:22 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Beautiful stable you have there my friend '63 split window!
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Beautiful stable you have there my friend '63 split window!
Thank You. I have had these cars for quite awhile. The nicest car is the 442. You point the 57 and the split, but you drive the 442.
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM

"factory AC was added without problems or modifications that I am aware of and of course I had to pay for it. "

Altering the firewall from No-AC to with-AC is no small undertaking.

Anyhoo, nice ride, super rare. Then you find out your "parts" car is even more rare... no longer a parts car... Great wife to accommodate all that!

And someone snagged the original motor out of the W32? I hope you filed a complaint, so if that VIN stamped block shows up you can claim it.
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
"factory AC was added without problems or modifications that I am aware of and of course I had to pay for it. "

Altering the firewall from No-AC to with-AC is no small undertaking.

Anyhoo, nice ride, super rare. Then you find out your "parts" car is even more rare... no longer a parts car... Great wife to accommodate all that!

And someone snagged the original motor out of the W32? I hope you filed a complaint, so if that VIN stamped block shows up you can claim it.
Thank You. That is what happened. I paid a big price to have the ac installed. My wife was not exactly thrilled but eventually she forgave me. The mechanic talked my wife into a trade of the 400 original engine for a 350 but did not talk to me. When I called him he said he had sold the 400. I still think it is around and I am looking. This is a small town.
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM

glad you stuck around. I just joined yesterday & made my introduction. This is my first post other than the one I posted as an intro. newbie

I wouldn't worry about the nitpickers to much. I for one, have a car that is pretty far from original & on purpose, I made it that way. One time when I joined a Canadian Olds club chapter, I stated that I had an SX, but that it was pretty far from being original, & the chapter prez stated something that resonated with me..

"It doesn't matter if it is original or not. You should have the car the way you want it"...

Hmm, I like that philosophy.

I work for @ a foreign car dealer & we have MANY times converted things from factory originality "just to make the sale" or "make the customer happy" by doing such things as adding in leather seats & door panel kits, DVD headrest screens, aftermarket wheels/tires, billet grilles etc. I'm sure this was done when our cars were new too, as your A/C install can attest too. (they did a nice job on that install by the way. looks nice & clean)

Just glad you've kept the cars as long as you have & keeping them new looking & of course...DRIVING THEM !! *most important*
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by calicanuck66
glad you stuck around. I just joined yesterday & made my introduction. This is my first post other than the one I posted as an intro. newbie

I wouldn't worry about the nitpickers to much. I for one, have a car that is pretty far from original & on purpose, I made it that way. One time when I joined a Canadian Olds club chapter, I stated that I had an SX, but that it was pretty far from being original, & the chapter prez stated something that resonated with me..

"It doesn't matter if it is original or not. You should have the car the way you want it"...

Hmm, I like that philosophy.

I work for @ a foreign car dealer & we have MANY times converted things from factory originality "just to make the sale" or "make the customer happy" by doing such things as adding in leather seats & door panel kits, DVD headrest screens, aftermarket wheels/tires, billet grilles etc. I'm sure this was done when our cars were new too, as your A/C install can attest too. (they did a nice job on that install by the way. looks nice & clean)

Just glad you've kept the cars as long as you have & keeping them new looking & of course...DRIVING THEM !! *most important*
I drive them all in any kind of weather. My cars pay their dues. No trailer queens here. This is now the daily driver.

Old April 27th, 2013, 10:09 AM

You have some nice rides in your stable. Must be nice to go out & flip a coin on which car your gonna drive...
Especially on those summer weekend days
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by calicanuck66
You have some nice rides in your stable. Must be nice to go out & flip a coin on which car your gonna drive...
Especially on those summer weekend days
Yes. I have been collecting these cars since 1969 with the 442 being the first and the best.

Last edited by crystal59; April 27th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old May 25th, 2015, 08:24 PM

Yes. I have been collecting these cars since 1969 with the 442 being the first and the best.
I just saw this thread and don't know how I missed it the first time as I have one of the 25's (post) and have met a gentleman, at a local cruise site and he has one of the convertibles. These rare ones tickle my fancy because of the discussion they provide! If you know what you have you don't need the documents. Its not just about a cam and trans. You have a beautiful car there and "customized" it the way you want. Hope you're out enjoying it.
Old May 25th, 2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mister-twister
I just saw this thread and don't know how I missed it the first time as I have one of the 25's (post) and have met a gentleman, at a local cruise site and he has one of the convertibles. These rare ones tickle my fancy because of the discussion they provide! If you know what you have you don't need the documents. Its not just about a cam and trans. You have a beautiful car there and "customized" it the way you want. Hope you're out enjoying it.
Thanks. I have the documentation and I posted it. I purchased the car new on June 6,1969 and I know what I have.

Quick Reply: 1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed