The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM

They made 26 W-31 ragtops with all trannys.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM

Any production like numbers for my 1969 Cutlass S convertible 4 speed? Anyway, I found the documentation from GM and phoned them. Their research department is still in operation with the same person named George that I contacted in Feb 2006. A real nice helpful guy. His phone number with a 1800 is on the GM letterhead which I will send to Scot to determine what to post because the documentation he sent me with the specs is twenty three pages. Good information but a little too technical for me. Also, I wil send to Scot photographs of the W32 and the Cutlass. I have photographs of the W32 taken by an appraiser but no photographs of the Cutlass as I have not yet had an appraisal so I will take some photographs. I have gathered a lot of car stuff over forty three years and I am still looking for the documentation for the production number on my Cutlass. That is the reason I asked at the beginning of this post if there is any other documentation. Photographs and documentation end of next week.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM

You are talking about George Zapora, who runs some service for GM of Canada. For any car sold new in Canada, you can get the invoice. Chances are this is what you have, and I bet the 1-of18 is only for 4-speed ragtops sold in Canada.

If this is the case, this most certainly doesn't make your car 1 of 18 4-speed cars.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Diego
You are talking about George Zapora, who runs some service for GM of Canada. For any car sold new in Canada, you can get the invoice. Chances are this is what you have, and I bet the 1-of18 is only for 4-speed ragtops sold in Canada.

If this is the case, this most certainly doesn't make your car
1 of 18 4-speed cars.
That is the guy. The vin for the Cutlass has an M which means Lansing and the documentation from George shows the Cutlass as an import. The reason I did not have the Cutlass appraised as I said before is because I purchased it as a potential parts car so I never paid much attention. Other than starting it the odd time it remains in storage. I will keep looking for the documentation but I am indifferent as to the result. The reason the photographs will not be until next week is I have to go to storage on a non rainy day and take the Cutlass out for the photographs. If there is not that much interest I will simply pass and send the W32 photographs on Monday. I will keep looking for the Cutlass documentation as I was suprised when I read it but no big deal to me because it was not a W32.

Last edited by crystal59; June 2nd, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:42 PM

Nice ride, looking forward to underhood pics, thanks for sharing! I've seen some original 69 W-32's, I've never seen any with air. I'm curious about the hood stripes, has that hood ever been painted...ever? I've never seen stripes that flowed over the front of the hood like that. They are always on top of the hood, the flat surface. I have original stripe blueprints around here...somewhere. I've never seen stripes like that in any factory lit either, and I have a lot of lit here. Great car, you are lucky to have her!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM

That is the original hood. It was an option to have the raised hood portion completely filled in. The hood has never been painted. I have seen two other W32 convertibles and they did not have this option. Tomorrow, I will look up the option number and post it. As will be seen in the photographs I will have posted this week, the trunk only has pin stripes around the outline of the trunk and not filled in like the front. I am glad of that as I would not have wanted a skunk like look. What you see is original. There is a W32 hardtop on eBay that has a similar hood configuration but mine has not been touched from the day I took delivery on June 6,1969.
Apparently, my W32 convertible was the only W32 convertible that was ordered with the option of a rim horn steering wheel. but that is what the dealer told me. The president of BC Olds Club said he had never seen a 1969 rim horn steering wheel. A lot of this thread is about how I ordered the W32 with air and it came without air. I said I ordered the car with air and I need air so 1969 air was installed. Not my only problem when I took delivery. The pin stripes on the rear of the trunk were wiggly and when I put the top down, with the Beatles playing, all I could hear was music from the front speaker and no voices from the rear speakers as the top down was covering the rear speakers. I was annoyed and phoned GM. I was told rather abruptly that the pin stripes were wiggly because they were hand painted and the only method to have stereo was for the front speaker and the rear speakers to be six feet apart and that is the reason the rear speakers are in the top well. Did not help much as no voices with the top down. It finally led years later to kick panel speakers.

Last edited by crystal59; June 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM

That's interesting about the hood stripes! I've seen wavy trunk stripes before, it was common. I've also seen dual original pinstripes on the trunk. The lit says the wheels and tires are 15" X 7" ? Your wheels look like later wheels, are they original? The W32 on ebay is a clone, no question...I checked it out very carefully several years ago.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM

Did you say BC Olds Club? I am in Vancouver and would LOVE to see your car! Stunning example of a rare car. Thanks for posting and welcome. I too have a Vette.
Olds, Vette, what else do have ? You don't race cars by any chance?

Mike
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
That's interesting about the hood stripes! I've seen wavy trunk stripes before, it was common. I've also seen dual original pinstripes on the trunk. The lit says the wheels and tires are 15" X 7" ? Your wheels look like later wheels, are they original? The W32 on ebay is a clone, no question...I checked it out very carefully several years ago.
I have the original wheels but I put these on for a more chrome look. I thought the one on eBay was a clone. It did not seem quite right.

Last edited by crystal59; June 3rd, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mike77
Did you say BC Olds Club? I am in Vancouver and would LOVE to see your car! Stunning example of a rare car. Thanks for posting and welcome. I too have a Vette.
Olds, Vette, what else do have ? You don't race cars by any chance?

Mike
What is interesting is after I made the comment to Barrett Jackson that Lenny Kravitz 1969 W32 convertible hood stripes were wrong, the car was sold to a person in Vancouver, B.C. I saw it once parked at the Vancouver Tennis Club as I was driving by, so it is around. Glad to see the owner is driving the car, especially after the price he paid. I really keep my collection to myself. I tried joining a local Olds club but could not tolerate the naysayers and nitpickers. Some were critical because I changed the wheels and added kick panel speakers to my car. They seem to forget that it is all about enjoyment. I do not race any cars. I have a 1956 Continental Mark II and a 1957 Thunderbird.

Last edited by crystal59; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM

I ask questions because I'm curious and like to learn. The hood stripes are unusual, I've just never seen any that rolled over the front like that, and they actually look like they go BEHIND the chrome vents, that's why I asked. But I believe you if you say it's never been painted. There was a sable W32 convertible in Sturbridge at the Nats. It was from Canada, the horizontal stripe on the trunk was 2 thin pinstripes. It was an original owner car, he said that's how it came, so that's how it was restored. It's good to know the Lenny K car is being driven, that car has just been passed around for years!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I ask questions because I'm curious and like to learn. The hood stripes are unusual, I've just never seen any that rolled over the front like that, and they actually look like they go BEHIND the chrome vents, that's why I asked. But I believe you if you say it's never been painted. There was a sable W32 convertible in Sturbridge at the Nats. It was from Canada, the horizontal
stripe on the trunk was 2 thin pinstripes. It was an original
owner car, he said that's how it came, so that's how it was restored. It's good to know the Lenny K car is being driven, that car has just been passed around for years!
I do not mind at all about the questions. These high end muscle cars were built in a era where as long as you had patience and were prepared to pay the price, almost anything goes. As set out in this thread, I did not place the original order so I am not certain what the person who made the original order asked for. I found out when the car was coming down the line that it did not have the two thingsI wanted, air and am/fm radio. My classic car appraiser who really knows his stuff, said all 1969 442 W32 convertibles were made in Lansing and that is the first thing he checks to make sure it is not a clone. Off topic,but here is the Mark II.

Last edited by crystal59; June 3rd, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM

Sweet MK II, I have always liked them, a good looking car.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Sweet MK II, I have always liked them, a good looking car.
Thank You. She drives like a dream on the highway. Just floats along.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:01 PM

Saw this yesterday . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_8182.JPG (130.1 KB, 46 views)
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM

Yes. Beautiful car. Belongs to a friend of mine. A real good and helpful guy with incredible knowledge about the Mark II. We both belong to Mark II forum.

Last edited by crystal59; June 3rd, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:23 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Oh okay. I replied to the e-mail to see if you wanted me to post them for you and a few other things but never got a reply back. But yes I'll post them up shortly for you.
Old June 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Well Gary, the files you sent are in PDF form and are too large to upload. If you can resend them as JPEG I can edit them so they won't be too large to upload. Sorry, maybe someone here has the Adobe premium account
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:20 PM

I do not know how to do that so I will delete and try to have someone resend to you.

Last edited by crystal59; June 18th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:28 PM

Let us know if you plan on attending any car shows. I would very much like to see your car. I know the weather has been rotten, not good for showing. We still need pictures

Mike
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by jrzybob442
Guys:
This all being said, we need to consider that many cars not specifically built by the factory were delivered by the dealer (after some service department installs) and made to look like they were delivered by the factory. Why? Because the dealer wanted a satisfied customer. Other dealers just wanted the sale and would say/do anything to get it. Other dealers, like Nikey's 427 Camaros, Royal's 421 GTOs, and Mr. Norm's Hemi Darts were the result of putting engines in cars not available from the Factory as a "dealer installed option". Why? As a separate business and to satisfy a niche market. In all case, these were brand new cars, but they were never assembled by the Factory.

What this long story means is that just because an option was delivered by the dealer, does not mean it was a factory installed option. So the argument No one would turn down such a sale” may be true, but that concept was AT THE DEALER LEVEL not at the factory level. Recognizing this will help recognize that options did end up on cars – but not necessarily when they left the factory – only when they were delivered to the customers.
I find it interesting that you specifically omitted the COPO Camaros and Novas, the 69 ZL1 Camaros and the 2 ZL1 Corvettes or the Bill Mitchel or Harley Earl custom and I mean fully custom Corvettes that came from the factory. Or the factory paperwork that states the 1953 #00003 Corvette was destroyed, yet it still exists today. I don't know much about COPO at Oldsmobile, not many little green telephone vans running around flaunting an Oldsmobile badge or Oldsmobile police cars either, but you could get just about anything you wanted through COPO, if you knew how.
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:35 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

There was no such thing as COPO at Oldsmobile. COPO was in place for fleet sales at Chevrolet and some dealers and racers (and some people indside Chevy) decided to use that to get around the rules and have a special run of car built.

You guys have to get off "wishing it was so". I lived it I breathed it I was there. You guys are wanting it to be a certain way. I raced an Olds at that time with a local dealer's support, and even with a good connection at engineering, we could not "order" anything out of the ordinary.

What certain dealers did by raiding the parts system, is not special ordering cars.

Dale Smith and others did occaisionally supply "parts" out the back door, to racers who they thought were good for Olds PR and that's it. For a time we all received
"development camshafts" which became the 328 cam (in 69 we/they experimented with a 348 cam, but NHRA wised up and that went by the wayside).

The fact is that aside from what you could order from the order sheet AND special paint, there was little else that you could get by special order. Olds just didn't do it. Why? Bureaucracy, great sales, who knows. But that's the facts Jack.

Last edited by jrzybob442; June 19th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Scot has the photographs which are in the wrong format and I do not know how to correct that. Perhaps someone else could post them.
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by crystal59
Scot has the photographs which are in the wrong format and I do not know how to correct that. Perhaps someone else could post them.
If you e-mail the pdfs to me I can convert them to jpegs and post them. I sent you a PM with my e-mail address
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bkeese
Bill Mitchel or Harley Earl custom and I mean fully custom Corvettes that came from the factory. .

What factory was this exactly? Flint? St. Louis? Or a design studio.

The "factory" has morphed from a dank place where cars were mass produced 90 seconds at a time to a place where unicorns are born and mermaids swim in the water coolers.
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
If you e-mail the pdfs to me I can convert them to jpegs and post them. I sent you a PM with my e-mail address
Please send your email again as I can not find it. Thank You.
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Please send your email again as I can not find it. Thank You.
I sent it to you again. Check your PM's. You don't have the option to e-mail you directly enabled in your profile so the only way to privately send something to you is through a PM
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM

There was no such thing as COPO at Oldsmobile. COPO was in place for fleet sales at Chevrolet and some dealers and racers (and some people indside Chevy) decided to use that to get around the rules and have a special run of car built.

You guys have to get off "wishing it was so". I lived it I breathed it I was there. You guys are wanting it to be a certain way. I raced an Olds at that time with a local dealer's support, and even with a good connection at engineering, we could not "order" anything out of the ordinary.

What certain dealers did by raiding the parts system, is not special ordering cars.

Dale Smith and others did occaisionally supply "parts" out the back door, to racers who they thought were good for Olds PR and that's it. For a time we all received
"development camshafts" which became the 328 cam (in 69 we/they experimented with a 348 cam, but NHRA wised up and that went by the wayside).

The fact is that aside from what you could order from the order sheet AND special paint, there was little else that you could get by special order. Olds just didn't do it. Why? Bureaucracy, great sales, who knows. But that's the facts Jack.
Very well put! I totally agree!
Old June 19th, 2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I sent it to you again. Check your PM's. You don't have the option to e-mail you directly enabled in your profile so the only way to privately send something to you is through a PM
Thank You for your help in posting the photographs which were taken by an appraiser, so pretty good.
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Old June 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Looks like a nice '73 350 under the hood. Color, valve covers, and oil filler cap all are from that year and engine size. I'd like to see the block casting code and head casting code.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM

That is the only sad part of the story. The W32 paid it's dues and was driven by my wife for many years without much attention. She told me there was a tick sound in the engine. I started the W32 up and there was a tick. I phoned my mechanic of the day and asked if I should have it towed or drive it to his shop. He suggested I drive it. The engine blew. The car was towed to the mechanic to fix and a few days later my wife said the car is ready and finally she did not have to drive such a powerful car. I asked what do you mean by that. She said our mechanic said the car would run better for her with a 350 in it. I was furious and got on the phone demanding my engine. He said it has been sold. All this within 24 hours and the 350 was in the car. He said he did not know the name of the person who paid cash for the engine and no way of finding the engine. I still think he has it and some day. Anyway I was so annoyed because the 350 did not work properly with the linkage etc. I dropped a 455 into the car and it works just fine. The options the car had was rim horn, trunk release, eight track, and I added air conditioning and am/fm radio.
I'm guessing he swapped the 350 stuff over to the 455

Last edited by allyolds68; June 20th, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Well, to my mind, that is a 350 in there, not a 455. So did he remove the 455? There's a lot of "holes" in this story.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Looks like a nice '73 350 under the hood. Color, valve covers, and oil filler cap all are from that year and engine size. I'd like to see the block casting code and head casting code.
I hope you are wrong as we spent six months or so searching for a 455 and eventually found one in Arizona. I was told it was a 1972 or 1973 with a J code but that is all I know. I will look at the numbers when I am next at storage as the W32 does not get out much anymore. There are no holes in my story but there is a real question of whether I should have some of this nitpicking. Perhaps there is another owner of a 1969 W32 convertible that would like to come on board.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Look:

I am into these cars, I think everyone that has survived to this day are great. I want everyone's car to be exactly what they wanted and I want them to be proud of the car. There are plenty of people out there, including myself who have modified their car to suit their tastes - I am fine with that - to each his own.

But that is not what we are talking about here - this thread is about rarity and as such authenticity. If we don't stick to that authenticity, then there is no rarity (though the fact that any car over 30 years to have survived makes it rare).

When someone posts in this thread and says I have a W-32 (in and of itself a rare car) and then they claim it is even more rare because it is air conditioned. Well, people are going to question that claim, because why make the claim if it is not true? So naturally, people are going to say, "Hey I didn't know they made air conditioned W-32s, what do you have to document it? This is because w/o documentation anyone can make up a car from parts or otherwise.

So, if people ask for documentation, it is not enough to say "I was there", because there are plenty of people who might say that, for any number of reasons: 1) To brag, 2) to impress 3) to pawn off a clone as the real thing . . . and the list goes on.

Now I'm not saying your car is not real, but, 1) It has non-factory installed air, 2) it has what appears to be a 73 or later 350 in it and it certainly does not have the original motor. So to think people would not question you is absurd.

So, I own a 1968 442. I have the protect-o-plate and no other invoice etc. BUT the POP does show how the car was originally equipped. That, at least is documentation. My car is now equipped with OAI, but because I have the POP, you can see it was not factory installed. I don't care, I like it that way.

Do you have your POP? You are the original owner, I would think you do. Do you have the factory invoice? Again, as the original owner I would think you would. What do you have to document your car? That puts to rest any speculation. Frankly a W-32 would be easy to clone if you don't have the original motor or can't prove when the AC was installed.

Face it I could buy a clean 69 442 convert and add the pieces and say it was a W-32, since even the decals are available. Tony Cerulle has in fact done that and makes no bones that it is a clone. So . . . . all we are asking is to back up your claim.

If your car is real, you have no trouble doing that.

Last edited by jrzybob442; June 20th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Look:

I am into these cars, I think everyone that has survived to this day are great. I want everyone's car to be exactly what they wanted and I want them to be proud of the car. There are plenty of people out there, including myself who have modified their car to suit their tastes - I am fine with that - to each his own.

But that is not what we are talking about here - this thread is about rarity and as such authenticity. If we don't stick to that authenticity, then there is no rarity (though the fact that any car over 30 years to have survived makes it rare).

When someone posts in this thread and says I have a W-32 (in and of itself a rare car) and then they claim it is even more rare because it is air conditioned. Well, people are going to question that claim, because why make the claim if it is not true? So naturally, people are going to say, "Hey I didn't know they made air conditioned W-32s, what do you have to document it? This is because w/o
documentation anyone can make up a car from parts or otherwise.

So, if people ask for documentation, it is not enough to say "I was there", because there are plenty of people who might say that, for any number of reasons: 1) To brag, 2) to impress 3) to pawn off a clone as the real thing . . . and the list goes on.

Now I'm not saying your car is not real, but, 1) It has non-factory installed air, 2) it has what appears to be a 73 or later 350 in it and it certainly does not have the original motor. So to think people would not question you is absurd.

So, I own a 1968 442. I have the protect-o-plate and no other invoice etc. BUT the POP does show how the car was originally equipped. That, at least is documentation. My car is now equipped with OAI, but because I have the POP, you can see it was not factory installed. I don't care, I like it that way.

Do you have your POP? You are the original owner, I would think you do. Do you have the factory invoice? Again, as the original owner I would think you would. What do you have to document your car? That puts to rest any speculation. Frankly a W-32 would be easy to clone if you don't have the original motor or can't prove when the AC was installed.

Face it I could buy a clean 69 442 convert and add the pieces and say it was a W-32, since even the decals are available. Tony Cerulle has in fact done that and makes no bones that it is a clone. So . . . . all we are asking is to back up your claim.

If your car is real, you have no trouble doing that.
My W32 convertible is real. Here is the documentation from a very respected appraiser. The vin number is there so feel free to search for yourself. I did not say that the AC made it more rare. One out of twenty five is rare enough for me. What I said was that I ordered AC and I demanded AC. I do not have to back up any claim as none of my collector cars will be sold by me. I joined this forum because I thought that members might enjoy a history from a one owner 442 W32 convertible but who needs this?

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Gary

If what I've read is correct, your the original owner of a 69 W-32 convertible with original paint right? Well, I am the owner of a 69 W30 convertible that "HAD" original paint when I purchased it in 1997. All original W30 and W32 cars had double horizontal stripes on the deck lid (I think someone here confirmed this saying they read it in documentation somewhere?) I do not remember if Chris's brown W-32 convertible from Canada has them, but I did see it at the Olds Nationals in Strubridge because my W-30 was next to his.

When I restored my car I put the same stripes on the car as it had originally. It wasnt until a 442 guru buddy of mine came to look at the finished product that he said I had them wrong. And that the assembly manual only showed a single 7/16" stripe. I showed the photo's that I took before resto and it verified what I had put on. Since then I have document this with photo's of about a half a dozen other factory paint W 442's.

So, that being said, does your car have the same double horizontal stripe on the deck lid? And yes, they were sometimes crooked because they were hand painted.

Also, being the original owner of your car, do you have any of the original paper work from the dealership? Order form, receipt or window sticker? That would be all you would need to verify what you have to any appraiser.

Which leads me to my next comment. NO appraiser knows it all. I had one who was supposed to be "the best in the business" tell me there were over 400 W-30 convertibles made in 69. We ALL know thats wrong.

All in all, nice car, enjoy it.
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Thank You Tony. I will have to go to storage and have a look as I can not remember. Getting tired of defending the W32. When it first arrived at the dealershipI wondered who would want a W32 decal on the front fenders instead of steel or chrome insignia and where is the AC. If you look at the photographs there is only a single wavy line on the trunk.

Last edited by crystal59; June 20th, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Was just wondering if you had the top replaced after the appraisal? The picture of the car has a white top and the appraisal says black top. You have a very nice looking car!
Old June 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM

With all due respect, an appraiser documenting this car as a W32 means nothing. Saying the car is built in Lansing means nothing. You have a car whose records are available from GM of Canada. They'll document exactly what it is or isn't. Once you have those an appraiser can accurately assess the car.

I could care less if you post them here, but if I were you I'd purchase them before they decide to throw those records out too (or get burned in a fire or whatever....).

Quick Reply: 1969 442 W32 Converible and 1969 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Factory 4 Speed