The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 in NYC! Hello! :-)

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM

1968 Oldsmobile Delmont 88 in NYC! Hello! :-)

Hi everyone. My husband has inherited a 4 door 1968 Olds Delmont 88. He doesn't have a license so I'm the driver and I love this car! :-) It's been running smooth until about a month ago. We're thinking we're having a cooling problem. I'm hoping someone can help...would anyone know where the thermostat is located? We need to change it asap. And probably the water pump, etc...or would you have a diagram of under the hood?? Thanks so much and have a great day! So glad I found this forum. :-)

Julianna
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SDC11321.jpg (79.1 KB, 28 views)
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to ClassicOlds, Julianna.

You must have pretty big cohones to alternate-side park that barge in Brooklyn every day.

You need to get a copy of the Chassis Service Manual. You can easily buy an original paper copy on eBay (watch for a week or two to get the best price), and can get a digital copy for free at WildAboutCars.

As far as your problem, what makes you think you have a cooling system problem?
What makes you think the water pump is bad?
What makes you think your thermostat is bad?
What are the symptoms of your problem?
What engine do you have?
Is the car modified at all (aside from those wheels)?

I had 2 '68's, an 88 and a 98, and drove them both as daily commuters in NY - nice to drive and the pedestrians scatter in terror, but gas price took its toll.

Do you do your mechanical work of the street, or do you have access to a garage?

- Eric
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JuliannaD
Hi everyone. My husband has inherited a 4 door 1968 Olds Delmont 88. He doesn't have a license so I'm the driver and I love this car! :-) It's been running smooth until about a month ago. We're thinking we're having a cooling problem. I'm hoping someone can help...would anyone know where the thermostat is located? We need to change it asap. And probably the water pump, etc...or would you have a diagram of under the hood??
OK, let's break this down into smaller pieces before we get into too much trouble.

You say you're "thinking" you have a cooling problem. Why do you think this? Why do you think the solution is to replace the thermostat and "probably" the water pump? Replacing the thermostat is straightforward as it's right on top in the front part of the engine. Replacing the water pump is a bit more complicated.

What are the symptoms the car is exhibiting? What makes you think it's running hot at all? Did the TEMP/HOT light come on on the dash? Steam from under the hood? Coolant dripping on the ground?

You can find an online version of the service manual for this car at wildaboutcars.com, which is free to join.

The bottom line is, I think you want to be careful to determine exactly what the problem is before spending money and replacing things that might or might not be the cause of whatever problem you're having.
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Ok...first, we like to call it a boat with a rocket engine in it...lol About the symptoms...first we had a leak in the radiator and had the hot light and overheated..and we put in a can of stop leak and that seemed to work...But...soon after, it seems to be running as if there's no gas, there's no pickup like it was...Then we opened the cap on the radiator and started the car to see if the fluid would go down but it doesn't. Would that give a loss of power when driving? There is like a hesitation. And yes, it does use lots of gas...and no, we don't do it on the street...we have to bring it to a mechanic...Only small things can be done, like replacing fluids, changing fuses, lights, etc...Thanks so much for the quick response..The car was in the family for 40 years and love it so much. Thanks for all your help. :-)

Julianna
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Hi everyone. My husband has inherited a 4 door 1968 Olds Delmont 88. He doesn't have a license so I'm the driver and I love this car! :-) It's been running smooth until about a month ago. We're thinking we're having a cooling problem. I'm hoping someone can help...would anyone know where the thermostat is located? We need to change it asap. And probably the water pump, etc...or would you have a diagram of under the hood?? Thanks so much and have a great day! So glad I found this forum. :-)

Julianna

Welcome, pretty car.

The thermostat is located on top of the engine at the end of the big radiator hose.

The water pump is bolted to the front of the engine and the fan is attached to the front of it.

You may want to consider taking the radiator to a repair shop so they can clean and repair it. I'm sure there are some around your area.

What I would suggest also is to take the car to a respectable mechanic and have them check your engine out.
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the nice comment. And thank you for your reply. Yes we are going to have to take it to the mechanic to have it flushed, etc. And thanks for letting me know where the parts are. :-)

Julianna
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, you've got a vague complaint here, and your hypothesized cause is unlikely.

Also, it is really important to know just how hot the engine got, and how long it stayed that way.
With no temperature gauge, how long did you drive with the HOT light on?
How fast?
How much water did the engine need when you finally filled it?
Where was the leak on the radiator? Low or high?
Did you pour water in right away, or did you wait for the engine to cool?
Were there other things happening when it was hot, such as pinging, stalling, or smoking from the top of the engine?

I agree with OldCutlass on this one: From your responses, it sounds as though you need to check this car out thoroughly, and as though you do not have the wherewithal to do that, so that means you need to introduce another person who has the skills to do the job.

In NYC your best bet for an old car mechanic is probably an experienced mechanic from the third world, but, that being the case, they tend to improvise with reckless abandon, which may not be what you want or need.

I will be in town in September for a few days - PM me, and if you don't get this figured out by then, I may be able to help you out, though you'd probably have to come to SI.
E-mail me (my PM box is too full), and we can talk about it.

- Eric
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Well we didn't drive it long with the hot light on...maybe 5 minutes or less at only 25 mph. We pulled over and there was smoke coming from the top of the radiator. And we waited for it to cool before filling it with the water which took about a gallon. The leak was on the top of the radiator. It hasn't stalled but it feels like it wants to. My husband thinks it can also be the fuel pump since we did have a gas leak for years that was fixed on and off..seems no one got it right. But we do have a mechanic who worked on it for the last 15 years..it's just we can't afford to do all this work at once so we are going to try doing it little at a time until we get on our feet. Thanks so much for offering to help when you come here. If we can get that hesitation fixed, then we will try to drive it to SI...we don't want to get stuck. Let me know when you get here and we can talk about it. Thanks. :-)

Julianna
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM

welcome nice boat/ car
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Five minutes at 25mph with the coolant a gallon low should not be a disaster, and should not cause your current problems.

Sustained driving, especially at a decent speed, on the other hand, could cause major problems, so it's good that you did not do that.

If you had to add a gallon, that means that there was probably over a gallon left, which is good.

If you've paid a mechanic to repair that car regularly for fifteen years, you've probably put his kid through college.

- Eric
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM

Hi Grace. Thanks! :-)
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:15 PM

You are right. Well I'm hoping we can have it all fixed by a month or two since we will most likely be moving upstate. Thanks again for all your help. Love your car too by the way...love the pink color. :-)

Julianna
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks again for all your help. Love your car too by the way...love the pink color. :-)
They all do... They all do.

Thanks!

And, You're welcome!

- Eric
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Nice ...

Brings back childhood memories of my father's dark blue 68 Delmont Holiday sedan.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO from a fellow New Yorker!
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Nice ...

Brings back childhood memories of my father's dark blue 68 Delmont Holiday sedan.

Thanks...:-)