The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1955 Oldsmobile Holiday Ninety Eight Coupe

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2016, 09:41 AM

Bill, according to this site both the 7007000 and the 7007221 should work. You will apparently need an AF 2059 rebuild kit.

http://www.carburetion.com/index.htm

Last edited by Olds64; April 28th, 2016 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Oops!
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:21 PM

The neutral safety switch issue has been resolved via the installation of an NOS switch. I am expecting delivery of the correct Rochester 4GC 7007000 carburetor within days which will hopefully make the car function better. the Edelbrock currently installed is not something I like. If anyone is interested in a fairly new edelbrock, please LMK. I will get the numbers once it is off my car.

I am in need of getting my steering gear box replaced with a rebuilt unit. If anyone has one already rebuilt and available, please advise. How adjustable are these Saginaw gear boxes? is there a model number? I would rather adjust mine if possible than replace it, much cheaper.

Another issue I am having…noisy lifter(s). Are the lifters adjustable or are they hydraulic? If hydraulic, is there any safe way that I can quiet the lifter(s) without replacing it/them?

I am slowly making some progress and I must say that you guys definitely helped me out and helped convince me to stay as original as possible. Any additional comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2016, 07:50 AM

How old and how many miles on the oil that is in the engine now? lifters in this era Oldsmobile have a great tendency to stick when subjected dirty oil. If mine and the oil is old I would change the oil and ( maybe a flush) then and add a jug of upper valve train additive. If that doesn't work take a look at your rocker shafts to see if they are tight and flat but if you know lifter noise from other valve train noise go the oil treatment first..... Just a thought .... Tedd
Old May 17th, 2016, 06:05 AM

I am awaiting the arrival of a recently rebuilt and restored Rochester 7007000 Carburetor. If all is as good as expected or, conversely, if it sucks...I will post about my experience on the forum.

Slowly, the car is improving.

I was thinking about adding anti sway bars. I've had them on the 442's I owned in the past and they helped tremendously. Is it safe to presume that they will help out in this situation as well? Aside from buying used original sway bars from THAT website, is anyone making quality sway bar components? Price is Important, but I understand that quality forces me to spend the greenbacks. I am not afraid of it, I just want the best deal possible. I have seen that Kanter has both front and rear sway bar kits for the 1955 Oldsmobile 98, does anyone else? I also noticed that some components from other manufacturers fit the Oldsmobiles, while others don't. How do sway bars figure into this comparison?

As always any help, constructive criticism and comments are appreciated.
Old May 17th, 2016, 07:22 AM

Your lifters are hydraulic and no they aren't adjustable like a Chevy type rocker arm. They are adjustable with shims but It is doubtful that is your problem unless someone has messed with the cam or changed the push rods. You just have stuck lifters is my guess.

My advice on the suspension would get it back to it's stock configuration and rebuilt then see what it needs. To throw parts on it before it is set up correctly is putting the horse before the cart. I don't see a need for after market sway bars but they must make them for someone, just not me.
What are your intentions for this car? With 4500 lb's and only 200 HP it will never be a hot rod but it will turn heads anywhere you go. Just put it back like it came off the showroom and it will take you anywhere with class.... Just my bias thoughts.... Tedd
Old May 19th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Something that I have been pondering...

As I have stated previously, I am less than pleased with the power steering gear box in my 1955 98. I understand that the gear box is only a two year item (54-55). Aside from the obvious understanding that another gear box would not be "stock", would any other gear boxes from ANY other vehicles fit inside the space currently occupied by my current gear box? I am not opposed to installing something other than a stock gear box if availability makes the price more reasonable...I just need ideas.

Any thoughts or ideas are always appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2016, 03:15 PM

I don't have a Hollander parts exchange catalog but I would bet that a Buick of the same year would fit, they share a lot of frame and sheet metal parts with Oldsmobile If someone here has that(book) catalog please speak up..... Tedd
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Williamaronson
Something that I have been pondering...

As I have stated previously, I am less than pleased with the power steering gear box in my 1955 98. I understand that the gear box is only a two year item (54-55). Aside from the obvious understanding that another gear box would not be "stock", would any other gear boxes from ANY other vehicles fit inside the space currently occupied by my current gear box? I am not opposed to installing something other than a stock gear box if availability makes the price more reasonable...I just need ideas.

Any thoughts or ideas are always appreciated.
A 1956 Olds is very similar car and used a more "conventional" steering box.
If you get a chance to look a 56 Olds over you could look to see if all the steering components , including the steering column, might be interchanged.
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:32 PM

I just sold my '55 Super 88 ( with only 51,000 miles on it ,) but the steering on it was excellent ,as far as driving.I have owned several of this model cars ,and have never had a problem with the steering. The lifters on the 324 engines did give some problems if the oil was not changed properly ,but we're not a big deal to replace.
The 4 speed Hydramatic were prone to a hard shift between 1st and second ,but could be helped considerably with proper adjustment of the throttle adjustment. Overall these are very tough cars and drive beautifully ,if brought back to original specs.Best of luck, enjoy it.
Beautiful car. Larry
Old August 28th, 2018, 04:49 PM

I’d like some new opinions...In your opinion, do you believe that mild modifications on these cars (the ones that enhance the ride of the car such as disc brakes, upgraded front suspension, new steering) increase or decrease the values of these cars. They certainly improve the drivability of the car, but how does it affect the value? Most things that I’m thinking of adding can be removed and allow the car to be brought back to life easily enough.

To be honest, this 1955 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Coupe looks beautiful, but also rides, steers and stops just like a 1955 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Coupe.

My car already had the interior changed to a custom diamond pattern, generator replaced by alternator, aftermarket ac (that needs replacement) and a flow master muffler. All can easily switched back to stock, but I was thinking of updating the suspension, steering and brakes to more modern components. My car originally came equipped with a 2 way power seat that I am upgrading to a 6 way power seat (so that my 6’5” frame can fit in the car...properly).

finally, if you were to replace the front suspension, steering and brakes...where would you get the kits/parts?
Old August 28th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One thing you can add is a set of radial tires if you don't have them. Coker Tires has radials in the correct width whitewall which is 2 3/4 inches I believe. Of course you can put narrow whitewalls on it a lot cheaper. Radial tires are one of the biggest improvements I made on my 54. There is not bolt in upgraded suspension like you can get for a TriFive Chevy. The suspension under your 98 is not even ball joints. It is king pins a bushings. There are companies that make disk brake kits but it will require going to a firewall mounted master cylinder with a swing pedal. Tedd has a source for this. As far as the suspension there is nothing you can do short of cutting the front of the frame off and putting a later model clip underneath it. Then you would have huge problems mounting the engine. This car is 63 years old and short of making extensive modifications to the existing frame or installing a custom built frame, there is nothing you can do to make it drive and ride like a new car. To me, it is part of owning a mid 50's vintage car. I think your choice is to either accept it and get used to it, spend a fortune modifying the car or get rid of it.
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:28 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by redoldsman
This car is 63 years old and short of making extensive modifications to the existing frame or installing a custom built frame, there is nothing you can do to make it drive and ride like a new car. To me, it is part of owning a mid 50's vintage car. I think your choice is to either accept it and get used to it, spend a fortune modifying the car or get rid of it.
Late to the party (stuck in traffic behind a Studebaker) but this is great advice!
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:49 AM

It depending on who want's to buy your modified car. Many a serious show car guy wouldn't like some of the modifications because it would change the class they would show the car in and it would no longer be competive.Others wouldn't know the difference and think it was a plus .As far as value goes in most all cases a unmolested car of the same condition will bring more money than a altered car and in my experience even lightly altered cars hardly ever get put back to stock.

Your money your car but it looks to me like you trying to make the car something it never was and will cost a pretty penny to get it close to something new.

If mine I would first get the engine and transmission running smoothly, adjust the brakes, get someone who knows front ends and steering and see where the slop is and repair that, Could just be a bad alignment and bias ply tires causing your front end issues. Drive it a few weeks and see if you still like it. Mine does just fine on road trips, it's different but fine..... Tedd