The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1950 Olds 88 holiday coupe ?

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:51 AM

1950 Olds 88 holiday coupe ?

Hi everybody!

My name is Carlos Salazar and I am new to this site. I live in San Jose, Ca.
I would like to know if anyone knows where I can find quality floor pans for my Olds. I would also like to know if the Holiday coupe was a solid color or two-toned originally. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Welcome Carlos, hopefully some of the 50's guys will catch your post and answer your questions. I'm stuck in the 60's. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old October 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Welcome to CO

Have you tried Ebay?. I found several there both new( don't know if they are cheap China knock offs or not) and old car take offs. Try ebay 1950 oldsmobile floor pans and something should come up. https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay...ile+floor+pans

As far as I know all Oldsmobiles of this era could be two tone if you ordered it that way.Try a google search, 1950 oldsmobiles images there should be plenty to choose from.

When you get a chance post a few pictures, we love pictures......Lost in the fifties ...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; October 29th, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:07 PM

Smile 1950 Olds 88

Thank you so much for the information, I'll go ahead and check the floor pans on Ebay. Also, what is the color of the upholstery, one color or two toned? And what type of material is it? Because I don't think they used vinyl or leather back then and I will be doing the upholstery myself. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Carlos
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:18 PM

Thank you for the welcome.
Those are some nice wheels you have there. I will post some pictures as soon as I can.
I see you're from Texas. I'm originally from Del Rio Texas myself. Thanks.

Carlos
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Your quite welcome, currently I live near Ft Worth but previously lived in San Antonio for many years. GO SPURS...
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:04 PM

The 1950 year cars are not really in my years of expertise but as I remember (could be wrong here)you could get any color you wanted as long as it was gray. there maybe a pattern change from a regular 88 to a 98 though and it was cloth fabric.

If you would drop on down to the vintage forum where a bunch of the 50 era guys hang out I'm sure they will have the codes from your vin that would tell exactly what pattern your car had. My books just don't go back that far and my memory is even shorter....Lost in the fifties...Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; October 29th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to CO Carlos!
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

In 1950 the convertible had leather but I believe the coupe and the sedans had cloth. The floor pans should be the same as a Chevy with the exception of the transmission hump. I think the Olds was bigger to accommodate the hydramatic. The 88 coupe was basically a Chevy body with the Olds engine in it.
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:05 PM

First off "Welcome to CO"
second, we need PIC's
Third in San Jose?
Also like has been said look at chebby stuff, I have found better luck Buick, Pontiac parts.

Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IM000045.JPG (74.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
IM000040.JPG (77.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by 64Rocket; October 30th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old November 5th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by zeppigio
Thank you so much for the information, I'll go ahead and check the floor pans on Ebay. Also, what is the color of the upholstery, one color or two toned? And what type of material is it? Because I don't think they used vinyl or leather back then and I will be doing the upholstery myself. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Carlos
The best way to get this information is to obtain a 1950 Olds color sales catalog. They pop up from time to time on e-bay, or Hemmings Motor News.These were the sales brochures that a salesman would have given a customer to show them the different models and color combinations when they ordered the car. Original fabrics are available from SMS Fabrics in Canby, OR. They claim to have fabrics and vinyl for just about any car from 1940 up. And they say that if they don't have it in stock they can make it.You might write them, sending the info on your Fisher Body tag, and ask for samples.
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Phantom Phixer

Floor pans

You might try these.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...sacat=0Despite what the vendors say, these are Chevy panels. And they may require modification to fit the Olds. Still, it's a lot better than trying to fabricate floor pans from scratch by yourself.I can't remember if Olds used an under seat heater in those years. If so, this would add to the complications in a floor repair. Maybe it was only Pontiac that had the heater under the front seat?
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
You might try these.http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...sacat=0Despite what the vendors say, these are Chevy panels. And they may require modification to fit the Olds. Still, it's a lot better than trying to fabricate floor pans from scratch by yourself.I can't remember if Olds used an under seat heater in those years. If so, this would add to the complications in a floor repair. Maybe it was only Pontiac that had the heater under the front seat?
As I remember from some ones elses thread on the vintage forum the introduction of the Hydromatic caused the floor pans to be different than Chevy probably different than Buick also but if you can find good used ones (take offs) I would go with that....Tedd
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM

As For The Two Tone Question,There Were Several Two Tone Combos In The 1950 Holiday Coupes! One That I Remember In Particular Was The Yellow With Black Top. If You Google 1950 Olds Holiday Coupe Images,There Are Several Examples There. As For Interior Colors Many Were Gray With A Small Stripe In The Main Area Of The Seats,And Door Panels Were Two Tone Gray. Larry
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM

thanks for the information. carlos
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:28 PM

1950 Olds 88 pics

this is the car I purchased on e-bay . still waiting for car to get here..
thanks carlos