The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1946 Oldsmobile Series 66 owner. New to the site.

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2013, 08:34 PM
1946 Oldsmobile Series 66

1946 Oldsmobile Series 66 owner. New to the site.

Hi everybody, I'm new here. I live in Oklahoma. A few weeks ago I came across a really amazing treasure hidden in a barn. 46 Olds Series 66 with 57k on original 6 cylinder. Straight body with very little minor rust. Original wheels including spare with beauty rings still shining. After a couple days giving it all new fluids and tweaking a bit it starts right up. It all happened so fast it's taken me this long to fully realize how fortunate I am to have been in the right place at the right time. I only paid $4750 for it and I'm happy with that. I've driven it around the neighborhood a little bit and have noticed it hangs up between 2nd and 3rd gear. It's hit or miss whether it goes into 3rd or not. Haven't touched the linkage yet, but I've a hunch that the hydramatic will need some major work. Does anybody know anything about the hydramatic trans? For that matter is there anybody else out there who owns an olds close to mine? I've been hard pressed to find much useful overall info anywhere online. Currently focusing on the hydramatic though. Anybody in Oklahoma who knows how to work on them? Interested in restoring "correctly" to factory. Anybody have a shop manual they wanna sell? Hopefully I can get pics up soon, for now it's on my avatar. I'm 37 years old, not the most knowledgable mechanic, but am learning because of this car. Absolutely addicted to this car! Any help with any info would be appreciated. Thanks! =)
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Phantom Phixer

Shop manuals

These items on ebay may be of great help to you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-OLDSMOB...69baa8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-19...d76175&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-C...f3fda1&vxp=mtr

As far as the Hydramatic goes, yes, linkage adjustment is critical. The books will tell you in detail how to do this.
Also another thing you should consider is changing the trans fluid. Since the car has sat that long.
Since they don't make "type A" fluid anymore, use Dextron. It is compatible.
The number of mechanics that know how to work on single coupling Hydramatics (1940-56) is rapidly approaching slim to none.
Add to that, these, like all automatics, require many special service and adjustment tools.
You might try to find an old, long established trans shop in your region.
Failing that, you may be forced to read that trans book carefully. Try to get the tools you need off e-bay and become your own trans "expert".
Oh! And welcome to classicoldsmobile.com

Last edited by Charlie Jones; August 18th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM

Welcome form the left coast

Check out this thread in the Vintage Olds forum:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-own-them.html

This is the best place to find help with your olds
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome, congrats on your score.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Thank you guys! Charlie I took your advice and wound up finding a mechanic 5 miles away from where I live who works on hydramatics and has all of the special tools. He seems very knowledgable. I also ordered the books you sent me links to. Thanks again guys! Hope to be able to help someone on here in the future like y'all have helped me.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Phantom Phixer

Glad to help.
You really got lucky when you found that Hydra-matic service man. I bet he was over 50, right?
I may have an old service station magazine from around 1948 that has an article on adjusting the Hydra-matic. I'll dig for it today and post it here.
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:06 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome, congrats on your score.
x2
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:09 AM

Yes, as a matter of fact he's 68 yrs old. I've spoken with 3 mechanics who can work on hydramatics. One 5 minutes away, one 3 hours away, and one 22 hours away. They are all right at 70 yrs. old. I'm convinced that I will eventually have to become my own expert on hydramatics! Any info on them would be much appreciated!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Past Administrator

I like your car, nice.
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Glad to help.
You really got lucky when you found that Hydra-matic service man. I bet he was over 50, right?
I may have an old service station magazine from around 1948 that has an article on adjusting the Hydra-matic. I'll dig for it today and post it here.
I found that article today, It's from the Dec. 15th 1948 issue of Motor Service Magazine.
I wish I had the previous and upcoming articles talked about in the article. However, I don't have those issues.
Attached Images