71 Cutlass Conv... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2011, 03:24 PM

71 Cutlass Conv... is it worth it?

New to the forum, but not Olds...

Long story short, I have a 1971 Cutlass Convertible that I bought as a Father and Son project in 2005. Not being very good at body panels, I had a shop replace the floors, trunk (not a good job) and quarter panels. Then I got transfered to Lousiana from Texas.

Shortly after arriving, Hurricane Gustav struck and put two trees across the shed the car was being stored in. I moved the car to another shelter, where it has sat until now. Looking at the pictures I will try to attach, what is the opinion of try to salvage it? I believe the right side quarter is managable, but the Right side A-post, and the left side quarter is shot, as is the convertible top frame. The only attachement we have is it was the first father and son project that we both put money into and started.

Any thoughts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0439.jpg (40.7 KB, 141 views)
IMG_0440.jpg (52.9 KB, 135 views)
IMG_0441.jpg (44.9 KB, 126 views)
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Anything is salvagable with enough time and money. In this case I might consider finding another 71 conv and using what you have for parts. In this economy you might get something better than you think.
Larry
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Since you've already stated that most of the sheet metal build will need someone else to do it, I would (sadly) suggest this one's gone past the point of rescue. Remove the parts you want to keep in case you elect to part out the car. It's really hard to form a 'great' opinion of the car from the limited views you've posted though.

Just a suggestion, if this was a 2005 father son project and it's only to this stage, I'm guessing your son is probably off on his own now (or close) and it will be a father project from this point forward? I totally agree with lshlsh2 that you have to decide what kind of financial and personal committement you are willing to invest into this project.
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM

I would think it is time to move on, as stated above.
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Cut your losses.

Sorry.

- Eric
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda had the thought it might be a lost cause.

HOWEVER... Here is what I might do... I have never tried replacing a panel before, so since this body is pretty trashed anyway, I think I might pick-up a quarter panel and inner fender well, and play around! Hey, it can't get much worse, right?!?

In the unlikely event this comes out semi decent, how in the workd do you straighten a bent a-post?

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old May 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I understand the excitement about trying your hand at fabricating. Straightening a bent A pillar as bad as the one you've got there probably involves more than just the A pillar. You likely have sub assembly interior and cowl damage too. You'd need a shop with a hydraulic puller, and on top of that you have to make sure the metal is lined up to factory specs. I still think that if you're going to try something, do it on a car that doesn't have all these issues or will waste so much of your time and money on what will likely never be safely roadworthy again. Find a new project you can dedicate your enthusiasm, energy and creative talent to. Much as I love Olds and hate to see one gone, if this was my car it would be parted and gone in a week. All the guys who have suggested to cut your losses really appreciate how difficult it is to be in your shoes right now, but are giving you genuine honest thoughts to help you out.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:34 AM

Thanks!

Well, found a guy in Austin that sold me a very solid body for a nice price! It has a little rust through in the normal spots in the quarters, but the floors and trunk are in great shape!

I still have a little concern about the frame being bent, but at least that can be fixed. Thanks for all the advice! This is one car that will see the roads again!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You're mad, man, MAD!!!!

- Eric
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
car guy

Welcome to the site there is a lot of good people that will help you along.

I might suggest at least a slight username change. He is not a member here but there is another guy very well known in the Oldsmobile community and message boards known as BTR Bill.
Old July 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM
1971 442 conv

Originally Posted by btrbill
Well, found a guy in Austin that sold me a very solid body for a nice price! It has a little rust through in the normal spots in the quarters, but the floors and trunk are in great shape!!
Post pictures of the new body.