New member 1972 cutlass build.

Old December 2nd, 2018, 08:05 PM

Talking New member 1972 cutlass build.

Hey everyone, just want to share my winter project, this 1972 cutlass, we're separating the body from the chassis to fix some major frame rust as well as repairing some floor pan rust. also we're ditching the factory 350/350 combo to a built 455/2004r combo we built last winter.

I'll get some more pictures as i go along. thanks for looking
Old December 2nd, 2018, 08:11 PM
same but different

Welcome Tyler, Look forward to your progress.
Old December 6th, 2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by don71 View Post
Welcome Tyler, Look forward to your progress.
Thanks alot!

over the last couple days we got the rear bumper and tank dropped, and pulled most of the interior out:

The floor pan was alot worse than I originally anticipated, i new the cross members, and mounts were bad from underneath, however once the carpet was removed it showed some amateur repair jobs and more rust

So i welded in some cross members to help keep things square when I lift the body... with the floor in the shape its in it makes me nervous.

Just used some old angle iron.. nothing to fancy.. (old bed frame LOL)

Hoping to have the body lifted this weekend...
Old December 7th, 2018, 06:54 PM
72 Olds CS

lol i saved a couple old bedframes for stuff just like this !!!
Old December 8th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... Looking forward to seeing the end result... Good luck with the project...
Old December 10th, 2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66 View Post
Welcome to the group... Looking forward to seeing the end result... Good luck with the project...
Thanks!

worst part about separating them was the bolts all either broke off or spun out.. took at least a couple hours just to get all the bolts out.

next up is to figure the extent of the rust on the frame and floor and take it from there.

Over the weeked I got the body lifted, went a lot easier than i anticipated thankfully.

Old December 30th, 2018, 07:33 PM

Had some time off over the holidays to get the frame stripped down and get an idea of the extent of the rust. it was about as bad as i expected.

the biggest surprise was this terrible attempt at fixing the rust on the frame.. looks like sheet metal!!??

also found some rust in a few other spots.

so for the next day im going to soak the frame in oven cleaner then bring it to the car wash to get as much of the crud and rust off as possible before i wire wheel it off.

hoping to have the frame washed off new years day!

Old December 30th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

your rust could have been worse lol. Looks like a solid starting point to be honest and its headed I the right direction. I only say solid because I had a Wisconsin car in which the roof is about the only original panel left so to speak.
Old December 31st, 2018, 05:22 AM

Welcome.
This is great project you're doing. Please keep posting pictures because I have garage envy.

Guy
Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass View Post
your rust could have been worse lol. Looks like a solid starting point to be honest and its headed I the right direction. I only say solid because I had a Wisconsin car in which the roof is about the only original panel left so to speak.
I live up in Canada, the salt and calcium they use in the winter rusts everything here as well LOL, Its reassuring knowing that people have built them from worst though.

Originally Posted by Frisbee_k9 View Post
Welcome.
This is great project you're doing. Please keep posting pictures because I have garage envy.

Guy
Thanks alot! our shop is actually a old hog barn we've been adding tools to over the years.