what to do

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM
proud owner 69 olds

what to do

ok thanks to everyone on this site i found out that my 1969 olds 442 is not a hurst olds but the holiday coupe i was just wondering if you had this car would you restore it to hurst olds 442 or holiday coupe time doesnt matter by the way i have all the time in the world for this car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_010.jpg (72.5 KB, 31 views)
IMAGE_011.jpg (45.6 KB, 20 views)
IMAGE_012.jpg (30.4 KB, 15 views)
IMAGE_013.jpg (63.1 KB, 18 views)
IMAGE_014.jpg (78.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by semper-fi; December 2nd, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Telecom Guru

The general consensus is clones are bad. Mainly because if you ever sell it, the next guy might try to pass it off as the real thing. Kind of a drag for guys trying to buy and sell collector cars.

One thing I'm not real clear on - Is it a 442 or a Cutlass Holiday Coupe? Holiday Coupe denotes the body style (2-door hardtop). In '69 the 442 was listed as a separate model from the Cutlass, and both could be had in the HC body style.

My personal preference would be a mild resto-mod. I'd keep it mostly stock appearing, but if the car didn't originally come with a few options I really wanted I would definitely go ahead and add them. You can always add some of the 442 and/or Hurst appearance bits without making it into a full-on clone and get the sportier looks. If the car was originally a 442, my preference would be to stay close to stock. If the original 400 motor is gone might as well throw in a 455 instead.

That said, if you REALLY want a 1969 Hurst, then I say clone away. As long as you never try to pass it off as the real thing, nobody should give you any grief.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
proud owner 69 olds

Originally Posted by jslabotsky
The general consensus is clones are bad. Mainly because if you ever sell it, the next guy might try to pass it off as the real thing. Kind of a drag for guys trying to buy and sell collector cars.

One thing I'm not real clear on - Is it a 442 or a Cutlass Holiday Coupe? Holiday Coupe denotes the body style (2-door hardtop). In '69 the 442 was listed as a separate model from the Cutlass, and both could be had in the HC body style.

My personal preference would be a mild resto-mod. I'd keep it mostly stock appearing, but if the car didn't originally come with a few options I really wanted I would definitely go ahead and add them. You can always add some of the 442 and/or Hurst appearance bits without making it into a full-on clone and get the sportier looks. If the car was originally a 442, my preference would be to stay close to stock. If the original 400 motor is gone might as well throw in a 455 instead.

That said, if you REALLY want a 1969 Hurst, then I say clone away. As long as you never try to pass it off as the real thing, nobody should give you any grief.
from what i was told it is not a 1969 hurst olds 442 but a 442 holiday coupe with a 455 in it or can u look at some of my old posts i appreciate it
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM

Regardless of how the factory built it, it is your car and build it the way you want it/or would have ordered it. I wouldn't try to commit fraud like messing with the VIN or cowl tag, and I would represent it just like it is, a re-creation, tribute car, or whatever. I'd rather have a nice "owner installed option" car than an extremely rusted out, trashed "factory optioned" car. Try to restore that piece of junk and it will be like Frankenstein, all patch panels and bondo. Just my opinion. . .
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Regardless of how the factory built it, it is your car and build it the way you want it/or would have ordered it. I wouldn't try to commit fraud like messing with the VIN or cowl tag, and I would represent it just like it is, a re-creation, tribute car, or whatever. I'd rather have a nice "owner installed option" car than an extremely rusted out, trashed "factory optioned" car. Try to restore that piece of junk and it will be like Frankenstein, all patch panels and bondo. Just my opinion. . .
X2 Nothing wrong with it being a tribute car. If a H/O is what you want, keep it by all means. You don't have to apologize for it to anyone. Have fun with it and drive it! No reason not to enjoy it!! It is still a great Oldsmobile!!!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM

Just build the car the way you want it, unless you are building the car to sell all you need to please is yourself. Have fun!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM

I bought a olds without much technical research into it. I have loved these cars since i was young. I have decoded the vin and now realize there is a good chance it is not a 71 442, however I have a numbers matching car, with what looks to me like some original 442 things on it. I was then informed that back in those days some of the dealers put on 442 options on cars. In my glove box there is an original sticker indicating it as an 1971 f-85 cutlass supreme 442. I'm confident that its original due to its condition. ANYHOW, long story short I came to the point that i said **** on it and who gives a crap what it is. Its gonna be bad *** whenever i finally get it done. Also at Barrett Jackson a few weeks ago out here in phoenix they sold a 71 442 tribute car that went for 43k!!! So thats not bad. Make it happen!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by semper-fi
from what i was told it is not a 1969 hurst olds 442 but a 442 holiday coupe with a 455 in it or can u look at some of my old posts i appreciate it
If it's a 69 442 it did not come with a 455 in it. Only the 69 H/O came with them. So, it's not a "numbers matchng" 442 anyway. With the prices the 69 H/O's bring I started to clone on to drive and not risk a wreck with my real one that was frame off restored.

It's your car do what you would like to do. I will tell you that 99.99999% of the people out in the world [that aren't Olds nuts] don't have a clue what an H/O is.

Good luck
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:58 AM

From what i have seen you have to have some thick skin if you do clone its becouse alot of people think they have to tell you all the things wrong with your car at shows and drive ins .
The clones that stray from the base car with say a blower or over the top add ons seem to get more slack. What heads do you have on it ?
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:11 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
From what i have seen you have to have some thick skin if you do clone its becouse alot of people think they have to tell you all the things wrong with your car at shows and drive ins .
The clones that stray from the base car with say a blower or over the top add ons seem to get more slack. What heads do you have on it ?

People who start telling you the things that are WRONG w/ your car need to get a freakin' life. We have more between and among us to complement each other on than we do ridacule each other about. The people who come off like that aren't worth hanging out w/ or even listening to anyway. Do it like you want to, and as long as it's done in a quality manner, and YOU like it, that's all that matters.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
People who start telling you the things that are WRONG w/ your car need to get a freakin' life. We have more between and among us to complement each other on than we do ridacule each other about. The people who come off like that aren't worth hanging out w/ or even listening to anyway. Do it like you want to, and as long as it's done in a quality manner, and YOU like it, that's all that matters.

Best I can tell someone else did the cloning before you anywho. Ya got a good deal on a clone-Good for you
Old February 23rd, 2010, 06:21 AM

--

agree you should do with it whatever you want to, like was said here already....yet it's a contradiction for so many to mock the blinged out Cutlasses and other makes often for sale on CL. Who are these Olds "purists" to judge ?

People have different tastes. Accept it. Paint it pink and put a sunroof in if you like.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Best I can tell someone else did the cloning before you anywho. Ya got a good deal on a clone-Good for you
X3 Its your Olds enjoy it
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM

l have a presentable 66 lemans The kids love to take betty to get ice cream and root beer but I hear ALL THE TIME from some would be expert on how I should put a gto hood on it, you should clone it bla bla bla . Seems like others at shows have to take loads of S&*t because there judge doesnt have a 72 72 paint code or their w-30 doesnt have F heads or papers Or their 68 h/o has a standard shifter or Thats not a z-28 because the gas pedal is not attached at the bottom .Lots of people want to run stuff down and try to look like a auto-expert . Have fun and good luck I want to see pic's and progress looks like your car is solid and a real throw back
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM

i looked at your album again and I can just see that car pulling into the local beach hang out some steven tyler walk this way blasting from it with some long haired bad *** dudes with one arm out window glass pack rumbling would have fit in the movie Dazed and confused a time of free living . Cool car movie if you have not seen it
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM

have the care decoded to fin out what it really is then u will now what u are dealing with and may be easier to decide what u want to do with it.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM

by the way i like the retro slotted rims.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM

The tread is a couple of months old. The OP has several treads about the car if you want to take the time to read them, pretty interesting reads.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...olds-fake.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...day-coupe.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...out-there.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8524-help.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lds-442-a.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-knockoff.html