the olds 442

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2009, 08:28 PM
proud owner 69 olds

the olds 442

ok thanks to everyone on this site i found out that my 1969 olds 442 is not a hurst olds but the holiday coupe i was just wondering if you had this car would you restore it to hurst olds 442 or holiday coupe time doesnt matter by the way i have all the time in the world for this car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAGE_010.jpg (72.5 KB, 22 views)
IMAGE_011.jpg (45.6 KB, 19 views)
IMAGE_012.jpg (30.4 KB, 17 views)
IMAGE_013.jpg (63.1 KB, 15 views)
IMAGE_014.jpg (78.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by semper-fi; December 2nd, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM

What makes you say it is not a "Hurst Olds"?
All 2 dr hardtops of that year is called a "Holiday Coupe"
Does it have the number plate on the dash? Have you found the build sheet?

Gene
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM

What does the cowl tag say?

BTW Nice looking sled.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:26 AM

If I remember your previous posts right this is a family car, maybe it was your Dad who built it into a H/O clone? Since it looks pretty good I would keep it as a clone and not go to the trouble of converting it back. What does it need? Is it just freshening up the drivetrain? In the pictures it looks like a pretty sharp car! John
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Past Administrator

Nice car and if I missed your intro in another thread, welcome to our site.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
proud owner 69 olds

ok thank u everyone now the cowl tag? and this car is my dream so i just wanna do the wright thing the time just sucks gettin ready to go on my third deployment and its down to crunch time
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by semper-fi
ok thank u everyone now the cowl tag?
Is this a question asking where it is?

Overall, I guess you can answer your own question, really.

1) Do you like how the car looks now, or do you prefer how an original '69 442 looks?

2) What was the original color of the car (there will be a code on the cowl/trim tag)? Do you like this color?

Basically, seeing as the original engine is gone, you should do the car as you want it. Personally, I'm an originality guy--I like cars the way they came from the factory, so I'd change it back to as it was. However, that's just me.

So, it really comes down to what you want to do to the car and how much money you have to spend. And don't rush things. That's when you start making bad decisions. It's best to take some time and think things through. Trust me...I know.

Good luck on your deployment. We appreciate your efforts.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
proud owner 69 olds

thank u
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM

I believe semper-fi posted in another thread the vin # and it's a Freemont CA car so unfortunately not a H/O... I would restore it as a 442 and make it a resto-rod, upgraded engine, tires, rims, brakes, suspension.. that route.

Good luck on your deployment!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Oldsdruid

Marine, I would build the car to please myself, not to please someone else- because everyone is a critic, no matter how you build it. It's your money and time.

You have a non-original drivetrain (with a choice intake manifold BTW), so since you already have the 455, make it a Hurst/Olds tribute car if you like the Hurst look. Just make sure people know it is a tribute and not the real thing, 'cause that's when people start getting ugly.

If not, put it back to 442 appearance and paint the engine 442 bronze. Only an Olds guy will know the difference anyway; most Chevy/Ford guys wouldn't know one BBO from another if it bit them on the ***.

As I mentioned before, a 1969 442 Holiday Coupe is nothing to be ashamed of. Think about what you wanna do with this Olds while you're deployed (it will take your mind off the crap around you) and then come home and do it.

We're behind you. I don't necessarily agree with US presence over there, but I support what you do 100% and then some. You have my respect for serving.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM

Yes, nice intake! I don't know if I've read all your posts. Have you identified what heads are on it? Other numbers on the motor and transmission? It sounds like you've already compaired the vin on the block with the dash. It's a nice car so whatever you decide to do with it I think you've something to be proud of.

Let me also say thank you for your service to our country. I too support you 100% and want to say you and your fellow service members are in my thoughts and prayers. Do what needs to be done, and come home safe!!!
John