my car is it a knockoff

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM
proud owner 69 olds

my car is it a knockoff

my car how do u tell it it is a knockoff or not i know that there are fender flares on it but my dad did it when he got the car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00015.jpg (83.4 KB, 101 views)
IMG00014.jpg (82.9 KB, 86 views)
IMG00013.jpg (85.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by semper-fi; October 31st, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Z3d
Super User

create a photobucket account and paste the link to your album here and we will take a look. http://photobucket.com/
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM

Welcome to CO I moved this thread to the H/O thead so the experts could answer your question
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Oldsdruid

Since both your posts have been on this subject it's apparently bugging you quite a bit.

First thing we need to know is the car VIN, then the engine casting # between water pump and intake, then the head ID casting, then the engine VIN derivative. It's located on a machined pad at left front side of engine, behind the alternator and PS brackets. If the VIN is correct for H/O, the engine is verified as early 455 with the right heads, and the engine VIN matches the car VIN, you have a true 1969 Hurst. No other 1969 GM A-body got anything bigger than a 400.

Then you go inside to the console and headrests. Shorty console with a Hurst Dual/Gate and gold patches on the headrests are interior cues.

I do see some issues with the side mirrors. Hurst did not come with the standard chrome side view mirror. They had English-style racing mirrors. Google "talbot mirror" and you'll see what they look like.

Now here's the kicker- how long has it been in your family, what previous history do you know of the car, and most important did you pay Hurst money for it? With those flares I'm guessing your dad's had it at least since the early 80s, and nobody was cobbling Hurst/Olds back then.

Even if it proves not to be the real thing, if you like the car and the H/O look, ditch the fender flares, restore it as a Hurst/Olds tribute and be upfront that the car is not an original Hurst. A clone becomes a problem only when it's misrepresented as real, intentionally or not.
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:08 AM

FYI

The wheels are not correct and the H/O badges on the fenders look to high to me.

But post the vin and we'll see.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:28 AM

That is a cool car. Regardless if it is a true H/O or not, you should put some performance parts in it and drive the bejezzus out of it. If I were you I would buy the cheapest set of tires possible for the back. I would roast them at every light.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Oldsdruid

James- I lived thru the time when these cars were contemporary and not many of them kept their special chrome SSII's past when the first set of tires wore out. Most of them didn't keep them a week!

I look at it this way. Repaints, collision repair including replacing doors, seat repair, "owner preference", all that stuff can alter the appearance of one of these cars. The VIN and engine are the tale of the tape.

I'd be willing to bet Semper-fi's car has had the engine replaced at some time during its life too. It was pretty common back in those days- nobody cared about originality or matching numbers. They were cars that got thrashed and beat on and people did what was necessary to keep them going since they were often a guy's only car. (Don't ask how I know this.)

Marine, run the VIN thru the Hurst/Olds Club's VIN database www.hurstolds.com. They have them and can say yea or nay this is a true 1969 Hurst/Olds. If you're not a H/OCA member and they won't do it for a non-member, I'll run it thru for you.

Speaking of Marines, whatever happened to the "unrelated brothers" who had that 70 at Pendleton and lost the wheel off it?
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:55 AM

semper-fi, welcome to the site. Your car has Oregon license plates, are you still in Oregon? There's a few of us on the site in Oregon and Washington, if one of us is close enough maybe we could swing by and help you identify the vin and casting codes needed to key out the car and it's drivetrain.

rocketrader, how many years back are you talking on the 1970? I'm asking because I've owned my 1970 442 since 1985. I bought it as a basket case and except for a few cracks in the hood the only body damage was the right front fender. I was told a previous owner had been towing it down the highway and the tire came off. Burgandy Mist 4 speed car. Gold marijuana leaves embroidered in burgandy carpet and glued to the seat backs. Do I have the car your thinking of?

John
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Oldsdruid

No John- these boys were on here a few months back. They had a black 70 post that I think was originally an F85 Rallye 350. They had a ton of questions and then disappeared. DK if they still have the car. They lost a front wheel in a parking lot and posted a rather entertaining video about trying to move it around on a floor jack, that ended up dropping out from under the car too and putting it back on the ground. They were Marines stationed at Pendleton.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
James- I lived thru the time

Speaking of Marines, whatever happened to the "unrelated brothers" who had that 70 at Pendleton and lost the wheel off it?

Me too Rocketraider.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ng-up-60s.html

and I agree 100%. Mine at one time had the then popular aftermarket hood pins.

Yeah, what ever happened to those guys who lost the wheel
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM

Post the vin and or trim tag essentials, we should be able to get to the bottom of it...

Originally Posted by semper-fi
my car how do u tell it it is a knockoff or not i know that there are fender flares on it but my dad did it when he got the car
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Captain of my ship

Hey semper-fi you gotta help these guys out by finding your VIN # and engine # etc then post them on this thread so they can find out if it was originally an H/O. Just because it has had different wheels and different mirror plus fender flares does not mean it is a fake. If you want to find out post those #'s.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
proud owner 69 olds

no the car is in california i am in the marine corps so i travel alot anyone in california