Vel's 69 442 Project ( resto-mod )

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2013, 06:45 PM

Vel's 69 442 Project ( resto-mod )

i have finally made enough progress on the tear down to justify starting one of these threads. there were a few items keeping me from progressing. one was a core support (thank you 70vert) and the other was a rear window.

and the third was borring my friends rotisserie

some before pics
driver side

front

rear

motor

the first thing i did was pull off the front clip and found the core support was rotted out on the driver side. i recently bought one off of craigslist ironiclly from a CO member 70vert.

i bought a replacement trunk lid as the frame was rotted out
and both doors the left frame was bad and the right skin and frame.

i have also found out in the course of dissasembly that the passenger side was in some sort of accident and had a shoddy repair ( ie rebuilt door jamb with bondo and the entire quarter is mostly mud near 1/2" thick in spots near the door)

i the pulled the motor and trans as unit to be cleaned up and detailed.

the motor will be recieving fresh paint and new pan and valve covers(images coming soon)

pulled out all that was left of the soft trim in the interior. pulled out and cleaned the dash and removed the vents.

pulled out the quarter windows and regulators, and removed the front window glass. wich was scratched and delaminated and didnt survive the operation

the guages and bezels are in good shaped. the steel frame is solid just some rot at base of windshield. dash pads is faded and brittle and starting to crack. cleaned up the stock 14" rims got the chrome shining and new black paint on the centers.

finished removing the doors and hinges wiper assembly pedals booster heaterbox dash wiring steering column and shaft, vent louvers and window trim

got the car up on the rotisserie and got the fuel tank and rear end removed good old O axle under it with 2.56 gears

progress is pretty much up to date now plent of more pics though just gota upload em to photobucket.

this weekend gonna start blasting sand on the metal and removing undercoat and such. might be able to put on the passenger body panels next week if the trunk floor is solid.
i know that i have to fabricate some patched for the rear valance and replace the front pan. roof panel is solid some holes near the drip rail on the passsenger side. and the right torque box/firewall exstension needs some repair.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM

some more pics