Update progress on 64 "Post"

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
I am putting in new modern A/C system in the "Rustbucket" build. There is no plug and play to this. Its a BIG learning curve for me and help from you guys it will happen and my local buddy's. Question: is there any interest in a detailed install on a 64-65 F-85 Cutlass??

Yes, definately. As a 64 owner i can also see more and more 64-65 cars in threads on Olds forums. Go for it!
Old June 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Modern AC and other goodies in the 64 F-85

Guys I chose Old Air Products in Fort Worth for the A/C system. Since there is no plug and play to this install,this is what they call a universal fit however I can get as detailed as you want if you have any questions. I'm moving slow measuring 10 time cutting once!! AND with a some help from from my buddies-you guys. The condenser is installed and the dryer. You can see in the pictures the top to two brackets that hold the condenser are perforated,( bunch of pre-drilled holes and thin) like erector set material. I did not like the flimsy bracket material provided so I used 16 gauge plate and fabbed the rest along with one bracket that goes from the bottom of the condenser to the lower core support. NOTE These guys have selling these products for years and what they provide will work just its my preference.) The dryer needs to be where the horns were, (not out by the grill in the elements my preference) so I will have to relocate the horns later. BESIDES, if you install the dryer on the outside next to the condenser the grill it will no longer fit. I used a 1 1/4 inch bi metal hole saw and cut to holes in the core support next to where the horns were located to run the lines from the condenser through, you will have to remove the body bolt to do this on the lower. Now for a little detail: stuff rags between the lower radiator and the core support to help trap all the metal shavings and to catch the fasteners as you are trying to install the brackets and condenser together, very tight area to work with only a 1/4 to3/8 inch required between the condenser and the radiator. Also take some paint and little model brush and paint the hole circle to prevent rust after you deburred it. I pre-fit the front bumper, will need help with the final adjustment. Finished the install of the fully restored windshield wiper motor and pump but had issues with the power brake booster bracket not allowing me to plug in the wiring harness to the 50 year pump, so I had to take everything apart AGAIN, cut some material of the out bound bracket and re fit all is good. I finally got the proper Lokar Throttle cable setup, seems this is not a very common Q-jet and the folks from Lokar were VERY helpful helping me with my solution and sent me the correct bracket for this Q-jet. A few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2722.JPG (134.1 KB, 99 views)
IMG_2726.JPG (130.2 KB, 97 views)
IMG_2724.JPG (139.0 KB, 93 views)
IMG_2730.JPG (100.8 KB, 91 views)
IMG_2725.JPG (138.0 KB, 88 views)
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:01 PM

Here a few pictures of the dryer mounted inside the core support where the horns used to be. And special thanks to Realfast57vette-Mark for fabbing the AC bracket for me.
Attached Images
IMG_2739.jpg (73.4 KB, 67 views)
IMG_2742.JPG (144.9 KB, 57 views)
IMG_2740.jpg (93.0 KB, 59 views)
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Update on modern AC

As you can see from the previous pictures I moved the dryer mount outboard and got the original horns back in place. The AC lines were all cut to proper specs and crimped. Now starting mock everything in place. Started to install sound deaden-er in the upper dash. restored the 50 year old heater box and modified it hide the AC and heater hose lines between the fender and wheel well. It's 103 here so that enough for today. Next update I will have the evaporator in under the dash, the lines all hooked up with the heater box in place. I ordered a Lecarra billet steering wheel, Corbeau LG1 seats, Wedge seat sliders and brackets, a B&M Pro Grip trans shifter and a Rob Mac billet thermostat housing. , All Medal Direct bucket seat braces ( there's new floors in the car) swivel thermostat housing.
Attached Images
IMG_2765.JPG (58.9 KB, 60 views)
IMG_2766.JPG (76.6 KB, 55 views)
IMG_2768.JPG (56.0 KB, 56 views)
IMG_2769.JPG (53.7 KB, 58 views)
IMG_2770.JPG (72.2 KB, 57 views)
Old August 24th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Buddy came over and we finally got the evaporator installed with the fabbed brackets, and its level as it should be. Installed the outer vents and hose lines. We were going to run the heater and AC lines from the evaporator but I was giving a cable operated heater by-pass, I believe Old Air products has an electronic heater by-pass, find out tomorrow. The Lecarra billet steering wheel is installed but I'm certain they sent me the wrong adapter, the horn will not work with this set up. Through on-line research located a modern, short antenna made by Scosche model number RMA-900 at Wal Mart. Easy install in the 50,year old fender-looks good for the Pro-Touring look.
Attached Images
IMG_2779.JPG (55.7 KB, 59 views)
IMG_2774.JPG (56.7 KB, 62 views)
IMG_2773.JPG (68.0 KB, 59 views)
IMG_2776.JPG (70.9 KB, 55 views)
IMG_2780.JPG (62.0 KB, 53 views)
Old September 27th, 2014, 04:13 PM

got alot of plumbling done!

Moving forward getting ready to re-installing the completely restored dash and hooking up everything with a lot of re-wiring. Installed a Painless circuit boss in the glove box to take the load off the old fuse panel when installing the new accessories.The task will be getting the re-worked control panel cables and electronic parts to co-exist with the AC set up in a clean easily accessible environment. All the vents and hoses are installed, installed gauge panel-the mechanical oil and water temp gauge plumbing is almost complete, glove box and kick panels in. All the AC and heater lines are ran through the modified 50 year old heater box with minimum exposure in the engine area.
Attached Images
IMG_2808.JPG (76.5 KB, 66 views)
IMG_2810.JPG (81.7 KB, 63 views)
IMG_2811.JPG (68.5 KB, 63 views)
IMG_2816.JPG (54.9 KB, 62 views)
IMG_2818.JPG (54.5 KB, 61 views)
Old September 28th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Registered car nut

Nice to see forward movement. Keep up the good work!
Old September 28th, 2014, 11:10 AM

You're moving along, maybe fab a panel between the AC vents? I know more work
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:52 PM

Stardate 12-01-2014

Moving along on alot of time consuming little things, especially when your putting a car totally together from scratch using mostly high performance aftermarket parts on an Olds, its definitely not "plug and Play" The under dash original wiring is all sorted out and repaired as necessary along with the new Painless 5 circuit boss. The circuit boss will used for the new A/C system, Kenwood head unit, Soundstream amp, Flexalite electric fans. I did not want put any additional load on the 50 year old fuse panel. (although in very good condition) The evaporator is set in properly-this was a challenging task because your using the firewall and kick panel for the mounting surface and are at different angels.The evaporator has to be level as possible in order for the drain to work properly. All the electrical and plumbing for the A/C is about finished, thus I put the grill back in. Have the gauges installed, need to get a tach ordered soon. I used a product-Frost King duct insulation as sound deadener under the dash along with new OEM jute. Mounted a Kenwood marine KMR-D558BT head unit in the glove box. ( took the Painless circuit and moved it to the drivers side front fender) I did not want to cut up the original dash. This unit has a CD player, Am/FM, sirix XM and blue tooth capabilities. Using blue tooth I will be able to pair my I phone to this head unit and stream Pandora, Tune in etc. Head unit works with a single Retrosound dual cone 4x6 speaker in the dash, along with a pair of PPI p169's 6x9's in the rear mounted in a boom box under the rear package tray, all powered with a "Olds School" Soundstream Rubicon 302 300watts total power! Installed an M@H modified engine harness for the HEI, mini starter, alternator with internal voltage regulator and without factory heater. Fits great, they do excellent work.
Attached Images
IMG_2922.JPG (76.2 KB, 61 views)
IMG_2925.JPG (66.5 KB, 59 views)
IMG_2926.JPG (80.0 KB, 59 views)
IMG_2938.JPG (64.5 KB, 57 views)
IMG_2939.JPG (49.1 KB, 58 views)
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:55 PM

few more pictures

Few more pictures.....
Attached Images
IMG_2944.JPG (63.1 KB, 66 views)
IMG_2946.JPG (57.7 KB, 61 views)
IMG_2948.JPG (57.8 KB, 61 views)
IMG_2953.JPG (76.5 KB, 69 views)
IMG_2955.JPG (73.7 KB, 78 views)
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:48 PM

wow....

Rob never realized how tall you are looking at pic number 5 lol. Wow you must have a loft space nicegarage and a great job on the olds love that stripe awesome
Old December 1st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Rob, it sure is coming along.
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:01 PM
car guy

Looking great man!!
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:28 PM
Justin

Wow! you have done such a great job with the mods. I bet your just inching to take it out
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks guys, actually the shop has a 12 foot ceiling. I was standing on the attic stairs-have 1500 sq.ft of storage space up stairs or like my wife says " I have a place to stay if I get in to much trouble!! Waiting for my XMAS bonus-hope its not a gift to the "jelly of the Month Club" I am going to have a lift installed. Doing bench presses with a tranny is something that is getting a lot tougher to do these days. This ride has come ALONG WAY, and many thanks for alot of help from some CLUB members that are very good friends of mine. I want to get the car started and bugs worked out in 2015, enjoy it and then take it apart for improvements and the 425!
Attached Images
DSCN1934.JPG (48.6 KB, 49 views)
Old December 1st, 2014, 06:41 PM
Justin

I like how tight your fender to a piller is how did you get it like that ? I pulled and messed with mine for days
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:00 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

The "Jelly of the month club" is the gift that keeps on giving all year 'round. Clarke...

Hey Rob - you're making me impatient with mine! I want to be where you are already. I'm going to spend some time reviewing your thread and live vicariously through you for awhile...
Old December 1st, 2014, 07:25 PM

Lookin good, Power Tour is getting close.��
Old December 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM

Napoleon it's going on over 4 years on the build up! Oldstata, the body shop did all the body, paint and alignment work-cannot take credit for that however December issue of Car Craft they show you a bunch of tips on DIY body panel alignment.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM

Guys when I get the door regulators, hardware, glass in the doors and side windows I will up date the thread. There are no instructions I could find for a post car and followed 442Bro on a Holiday Coupe door and its not the same and messed up some paint on the door frame etc. Trying to figure out how to wire two leads from the new AC unit that require a 30 amp fuse each. The new Painless 5 circuit boss has terminal blocks rated at 20 amp, finish wiring the SoundStream amp, wire up electric fans, build a fuel line, finish the brake lines on and on. Will keep you all posted feel free to ask questions.
Attached Images
IMG_0270.jpg (73.3 KB, 43 views)
IMG_0990.jpg (82.4 KB, 44 views)
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Lots of detail-little projects getting completed including almost all the rewiring is done for all the new accessories. The dash pictures show where I mounted a blue LED switch in the old radio off/on hole to activate the AC. It will light up blue when activated, same with the USB ports that are now in where the old cigarette lighter hole. I will take a little semi black touch up paint and black out the letters. The plan is to install an I phone where the old radio once was. A used Iphone4 will fit perfect in that spot. Then I will have blue tooth to the Kenwood Marine Head unit in the glove box, GPS, Pandora etc. Today I took the drivers bucket seat out of the 67 and positioned it where braces needed to be on the the floor. I riveted them, will weld later after final adjustments. If you recall this is an all new floor, so we are starting from scratch. With the seat mounted, I was able to position and mount the B@M Bandit floor shifter. Took some pictures of the undercarriage on the lift.
Attached Images
IMG_3014.JPG (71.6 KB, 73 views)
IMG_3016.JPG (66.3 KB, 66 views)
IMG_3019.JPG (73.9 KB, 68 views)
IMG_3021.JPG (61.6 KB, 65 views)
IMG_3023.JPG (44.6 KB, 64 views)
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:26 PM

some more images

few more pictures
Attached Images
IMG_3028.JPG (49.6 KB, 60 views)
IMG_3026.JPG (61.6 KB, 59 views)
IMG_3032.JPG (77.6 KB, 61 views)
IMG_3034.JPG (59.1 KB, 56 views)
IMG_3038.JPG (55.6 KB, 62 views)
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM

I find it different that so many use copper for brake lines.
When you buy new brake line at the parts store it is always steel.
i think copper is so soft, and may be easy to flare. I just find it unusual .

Gene
Old February 16th, 2015, 06:44 AM

Its not copper, product is called Easy Bend by Brake Quip in Knoxville Tn. I heard that some of the European imports are using this on the assembly line.
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:03 AM

That is going to be some kind of ROCKET!! Good job!
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Administrator

What are you going to use to fill the radio slot and remaining volume hole?
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:20 AM

Going to fit an I phone in there,looking now for a used I phone 4, fab a few little brackets and it will fill the rectangular hole almost perfectly. The station changer hole, will most likely run the I phone charger line through the square hole where you used to adjust the front and rear speaker, the round hole I will fill with a grommet. At least that's the plan.
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM

I need to partially correct myself-This is a nickle copper alloy line, it is easy to bend, easy to flare, quick to work with, and never rusts. I bought a spring kit at Hobby Lobby for 4 dollars and you put the spring over the line and bend it with your fingers, great stuff.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:26 PM

Stardate 3-22-2015 getting closer to getting her fired up! Starting to see daylight. I took a sabbatical from work so getting more done. Installed a TCI 200-4R converter lock up kit. The way I wired it ,look at images the 2 12 gauge blue wires are going from the B@M Pro-Stick shifter to the two original purple wires under the dash for a functional neutral safety switch, also note that I matted one of the blue wires through a 10 amp fuse circuit just in case. When I put a good battery in it and get the dash in I will test those wires and see which one of the purple ones is hot and finish the job. The red wire you see along with blue wires is coming from the 200-4R will be wired into the brake light switch under the dash when I get the right connector tomorrow. That will make the converter unlock when you press the brake pedal. I have attached the vacuum operated micro switch that came with the kit next the wiring port the side of transmission, this will lock and unlock the converter based on engine vacuum. ( hopefully ) Notice a green wire next to the red one, I just wrapped with electrical tape, I did not want to cut it. its non functional for this application. For now I decided to use the 64 drive shaft to get the car running and the bugs worked out, will have an aluminum one built later. That project took a few runs to the parts house to determine which u-joints I needed to mate the Moser 1350 pinion yoke. So FYI-you need a GM R3 conversion U-joint to a 1350 not a 1310 0r 1330. I used Spicer products for this. Installed the correct ER brake cables for proper fit when converting to the 200-4R. I used "PushLock" hose and ran the fuel line, used insulated rubber fasteners with stainless steel screws.
Attached Images
IMG_3071.JPG (69.1 KB, 59 views)
IMG_3073.JPG (41.7 KB, 56 views)
IMG_3082.JPG (43.4 KB, 57 views)
IMG_3078.JPG (47.2 KB, 49 views)
IMG_3056.JPG (44.0 KB, 52 views)
Old March 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM

few more pictures, please feel to critique.
Attached Images
IMG_3049.JPG (57.1 KB, 47 views)
IMG_3051.JPG (59.2 KB, 47 views)
IMG_3052.JPG (59.1 KB, 51 views)
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:35 PM

looks real tidy rob. cant see ya havin too many issues
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Nice work, I've never had luck with the sticky looms.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 06:18 AM

Oldcutlass, if you are referring to the 10 amp fuse stuck to the firewall? I bought a roll of 3M double sided tape, wiped the surface down with denatured alcohol and stuck it on there. Cleanliness top priority and takes a real good pull to get it off.
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:21 PM

Stardate 04-16-2015

The Old Air Products A/C system is all plumbed in and wired. Have the heater and A/C lines tucked in behind the wheel house along with the heater bypass control, the black braided lines running along the wheel house is the transmission cooler lines. I think I have to scratch the idea of installing an I phone, Android or whatever in the space where the old radio was. Problem is the chargers plug in from the bottom and there's no room for it with the charger cord plugged in and I'm not going to cut the dash. So I will fab up a radio delete plate-any ideas where to get some ribbed plastic? The wiring under the dash is completed, used all the available key-on wires from the Painless Cirkuit Boss to operate all the additional new creature comforts and left the original panel alone. Next up install the dash and finish the wiring. Few shost of some detail:
Attached Images
IMG_2983.JPG (54.1 KB, 47 views)
IMG_3113.JPG (69.0 KB, 48 views)
IMG_3116.JPG (65.3 KB, 48 views)
IMG_3120.JPG (74.1 KB, 50 views)
IMG_3122.JPG (62.9 KB, 49 views)
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:28 PM
car guy

Almost looks like a car again
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Nice, looks like you got the N Texas electrical grid system on the left fender well.
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:12 PM

Oldcutlass how did you know I work for Texas Power and Light?? Just kidding! That took a lot of planning and time to make it all work together, have several relays and fuses inside the the car, as mentioned I did not want to tap into the old fuse panel, its in good shape but its 51 years old.
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Administrator

That's understandable.
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM

The 60 amp circuit breaker with the heavy gauge red wire leading to it is from the Soundstream 300amp mounted in the trunk, the second circuit breaker is for the A/C system, that red wire goes to two relays under the dash to power the A/C system.
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM

300 watt amp.

Quick Reply: Update progress on 64 "Post"