South Carolina '72 Supreme Convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2010, 05:57 AM

South Carolina '72 Supreme Convertible

How I ended up here…

This is my Father-in-Laws ’72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible (3J67K2M202765). It’s a 350/350, black/black, 4bbl, a/c, bench seat, numbers matching, solid, mostly original car. He bought it 4 years ago from the 2nd owner, a friend, who bought in Barnwell, South Carolina in ’73. The car moved around GA and SC with the previous owner, and is now firmly planted in SC again. No paperwork to show where/who the original owner was.

The car had been sitting in a garage for 8-10 yrs when Pa-in-Law bought it. He replaced the usual tune up parts, changed the oil, put new gas in it and fired it up. It runs decent, but will need to be freshened up down the road. He had the front suspension, steering, brakes and a few other minor mechanical issues taken care of. He had minor bodywork done and re-painted the original Flame Orange. (This pic was prior to new paint)

After that it was put in a shed and has only been driven every few months or so. While visiting this past Thanksgiving I walked by the car for the millionth time and asked what his plans were for it. He said that he was going to finish it, and drive it (He retires in a couple of years). He asked me to go drive it and tell him what it needs. Well, that’s when it happened. I drove the thing and it brought back that feeling that only big old cars can give you. (Growing up my parents had a couple of 88’s (and yes a diesel one) and a cool ’78 two door 98 (The Led Sled) that became my car in high school.) That got my interest up and I starting reading here and other places gathering information on these cars.

While visiting over Christmas we took it out for a spin and started the list of what it needs. This is a driver to be enjoyed so some of the cosmetic items and upgrades will be addressed as time goes on.

The interior is next on the list. It needs carpet, door panels, seat covers, and a few trim pieces. Seems like Legendary is preferred here. I have also checked out Year One, OPG, Brothers Automotive, and some others I can’t remember. Any suggestions? I read the very good Lady72nRob71’s thread and looking forward to OLDSKL69’s progress on his seats. Should give me enough ammo to decide weather to do the seats myself.

The top needs attention. It’s in good shape, but it looks to me like it was not installed properly. Not sure if it can be fixed/adjusted or if it will need a new top. Mechanically it works fine, just doesn’t fit well. Anyone here know of a good convertible top person near the upstate of SC?

Also, before any long road trip it will need new tires. I would like to fill out the wheel wells but realize I’m limited with the factory 14” SSIII wheels. What’s the largest tire anyone is running on these with the stock suspension set up? Any pics?

I have been reading many of the related threads and there is a lot of good been there/done that information here. My automotive wrenching experience has been on restored and modified Jeeps along with the usual repairs and maintenance on the family cars. Looking forward to getting started on this classic and my Family having some fun with it.

Oh, and I’m located in Fair Play, SC and the car is currently 3 hrs SE of here in Barnwell, SC so it should learn that stretch of road well.

Sorry for the book. Thanks in advance for your help and I will post more pics as we (slowly) progress.

Robert

72 Cutlass (Medium).jpg

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:10 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

Heck Fair Play is jes right up the road from me.

Nice car
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site!!! Post some more pics.... I think she is beautiful!!!
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:57 AM

Welcome to CO

Nice convert. Good luck on the restore. Lots of good information here on similar cars
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Hi welcome to the site. So your into Jeeps do you like to go off road or trail rides. As far as tires on the Cutlass you could go P235/65 R14 or P225/70 R14 on the stock rims.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Thanks, glad to be here. Looking forward to getting started. I'll post some more before pics and keep you updated...

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Hi welcome to the site. So your into Jeeps do you like to go off road or trail rides.
My current build is an '87 Wrangler crawler (well, the body and frame are Wrangler) that has been to Coal Creek/Windrock, TN a couple of times, Tellico, NC countless times (before the enviro-***** got it shut down), and several private parks within a few hrs of the house. I've been into Jeeps forever and rockcrawling @ 15 yrs.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
GM Enthusiast

I read the very good Lady72nRob71’s thread and looking forward to OLDSKL69’s progress on his seats. Should give me enough ammo to decide weather to do the seats myself.
Thanks and welcome to the forum. It looks like a very nice car. I slacked off on the interior work lately due to sick kids but I am working on it tonight and will try to post more pics later.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM

You have been to Coal Creek that's cool. I've been into building 4x4 four the last 10 years. I don't have one right now but after I finish my 70 Cutlass I plan on building some kind of 4x4.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile. I think there have been a few threads on wheel/tire size on the A body cars. A search should find them for you. Nice car and good luck.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Welcome Robert!
You and I share a lot in common, aside from the name...
My 72 (Lady) was in GA and SC most of her life. I bought her from a guy in Hilton Head and drove her home. She was also repainted once and had left to sit for a decade or so. He body was very good but interior was original and was replaced last year. Use only Legendary for your trim parts (seats, door panels, carpet, headliners, etc.). If there is ANY problem, they will fix it at their expense. Watch for their sales and free shipping offers. The other places will haggle you if something is wrong.
Let me know if you have any interior questions - been there done that...

My only other recommended parts places are OPG (watch for their sales though), Fusick, Rockauto, and Kanter. The Parts place is okay to get simple little stuff from, but not anything too costly and complex like power window kits...

Lady got a new top 3 years ago from a place in SC - I have the name of the place at home. Installation was okay, BUT it was not quite done right either. It does not curve around the left rear window (within 1/4") and it does not go down all the way to put the boot on. However, i will not worry about that.

It looks like you are missing the wheel center cap rocket decals like Lady was when i looked at her. The seller did have them and he gave them to me to install myself. Polish up your caps before applying them.

So it sounds like you have a great car to finish up and enjoy. One of these days I will return to the southeast area after Lady is "complete."
I want to cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway again with her!

AS for tires and wheels, here are a couple threads that will help you out:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-dilemma.html
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...finishing.html
Been there, done that, also!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 6th, 2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Thanks for all of the info...

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
One of these days I will return to the southeast area after Lady is "complete."
I want to cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway again with her!
The Parkway goes through some beautiful country. Great scenery. Plenty to see and do.
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Welcome aboard CO!
Going by the one picture posted it looks like you have one hell of a great project to start with. Keep posting pics of your progress.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Finally had some time to work on the car a little this weekend. Here’s a pic with the top down showing the new (2 yr old) paint job.

SD1000 153 (Medium).jpg

Front seat

SD1000 151 (Medium).jpg

Rear seat

SD1000 152 (Medium).jpg

Seats gone. Found $.58, a cig lighter (works!), 2 cigs, receipts, an ink pen and a Bud bottle cap . No build sheet . The front seat belts that bolt to the floor in the center were cut out by the previous owner . Anybody have front center belts in black they want to get rid of (three male and one female )?

SD1000 159 (Medium).jpg

I pulled the carpet and underlayment and the floor pans looked OK. Some surface rust throughout and a couple of pin holes on the front passenger floorboard. I’ll be copying Rob’s POR 15 procedure to take care of that.

I’ll be giving Legendary a call in the next few days to order the seat upholstery (Thanks to Darryl’s inspiration). And will probably get their door panels as well.

I’ll keep ya’ll posted on the progress…

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Sounds like a good plan!
With how good she looks on the outside, she needs to look as good on the inside.

If you spring for door & qtr panels, you might consider the rear armrest / piston panel covers. They are not too costly and will make everything look new. Don't forget the front headrest covers - they are sold separately!

Looks like you have a nice place there out in the country - that is my wish...
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Which seat belts are you looking for?

I think there are 3 styles. Small brushed chrome, small plastic and large plastic buckles
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Sounds like a good plan!
With how good she looks on the outside, she needs to look as good on the inside.

If you spring for door & qtr panels, you might consider the rear armrest / piston panel covers. They are not too costly and will make everything look new. Don't forget the front headrest covers - they are sold separately!

Looks like you have a nice place there out in the country - that is my wish...
Nothing like copying what has worked before... Ha. Thanks for taking the time to document and post what you have done.

The armrest covers are on the list.

That's my inlaws farm in the lower part of the state, great place. My back yard is a 58,000 acre lake .
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Which seat belts are you looking for?

I think there are 3 styles. Small brushed chrome, small plastic and large plastic buckles
Hmm, they are small with a chrome metal housing, black textured metal top with a blue "GM Mark of Excellence" button in the middle. The number stamped on the back is RCF-67.
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by we jeep inn
Hmm, they are small with a chrome metal housing, black textured metal top with a blue "GM Mark of Excellence" button in the middle. The number stamped on the back is RCF-67.
Like these but in black and for the front?

These came out of my back seat.

My fronts looked like this (I had no center one - it was removed by a PO...:

These are "deluxe belts"...
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Rob,

Aren't yours the smaller "Deluxe" ones?
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Aren't yours the smaller "Deluxe" ones?
Yep.

I missed the "black textured metal top" part so his must be the standard belts. Hard to tell in his picture. Looked like black reflections.

(Really, I was just trying to confuse everyone...)
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM

We jeep inn,

Post some pics of your seat belts, I may be able to help ya out. What/which are you missing. Retractor covers? sleaves for the male end bases?

Rob's thread shows ya how to dye them.
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM

We jeep inn,

Post some pics of your seat belts, I may be able to help ya out. What/which are you missing. Retractor covers? sleaves for the male end bases?

Rob's thread shows ya how to dye them.
SD1000 191 (Medium).jpg

I have the sleeves and the retractor covers. I need the female ends for the driver and passenger (rectractor with male ends are intact) and the male and female for the front center passenger.

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM

I opened up my front seat bottom and everything looks good except for the burlap, which was obvious before I took the cover off. What I didn't know is that there are fine wires (13 to be exact) woven into the burlap to keep the foam from pushing through the springs. I talked to several people and got as many opinions on what to do, including; don't worry about the wires, replace the burlap with a towel, carpet, scrap cloth, and of course the high dollar piece of something.

SD1000 212 (Medium).jpg

I decided to make an "original" one. It took $4 worth of burlap, a little sharpie and straight edge work and an adult beverage or two. The fine wires were in good shape so I reused them by straightening out one end so I could thread it through the burlap, then I crimped the ends around a couple of pieces of clothesline. I will be adding 1/2" of foam on top of the original foam to firm the seat up a little. Everything is ready to go when my care package from Legendary arrives in a few weeks.

SD1000 213 (Medium).jpg

SD1000 214 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

Burlap looks good Robert, nice job.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM

Your old burlap looks alot better than mine did. Mine was only half there! The fine wires gave no help to the foam which had cut through anyway.
Great original looking new burlap!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:48 AM

Smile Suggestion Dept.

Hows about using closed cell foam for the seat instead of the other foam stuff... it is firmer and should last a lot longer...
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Hows about using closed cell foam for the seat instead of the other foam stuff... it is firmer and should last a lot longer...
Always open to suggestions. Actually, the original foam is in good condition, I'm adding a little for a little firmer(is that a word?) feel.
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Still Going

An update on my progress. The floor pan has been cleaned up, pinholes filled, and POR15 applied. The warning in the can was correct, took about a week for the stuff to wear off my hands.

Before

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

After
Floor4Small.jpg

Put the dash back in after taking out the warp. Turned out great. (See warped dash thread)

cutlass040Small.jpg

Installed carpet (and sound deadener), trimmed and made T cuts for front seat.

cutlass051Small.jpg

Seat upholstery came in from Legendary and I've started covering them. Excellent quality.

Started with the rear and it went together well. Not hard, just have to be patient and take your time squaring everything up on the frame then stretch (heat the covers up) and hog ring down. Pleased with the outcome.

cutlass047Small.jpg

Next was the front base. I added added 1" of foam. Getting the cover on and the springs compressed takes two people (a third wouldn't hurt) and considerable fiddling to get everything right. Not too bad, just had to be careful not to tear anything before it's all hog ringed down because the fabric is under alot of pressure.

cutlass057Small.jpg

I couldn't stand it and put the back seat in for a dry run and the inspector showed up, passed.

cutlass055Small.jpg

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM

The seats look good! You are doing a great job.
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM

NICE, NICE, NICE!! Great progress!
Somehow I feel like I was down that road before...
I now wish i attempted my own seats, as it seems so easy. Oh well, the job I got was at least worth the $$.
Keep up the good work - you will be cruising in no time.
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks. Working on the front seat backs and covering the rear ash wells/piston covers. Door panels should be here from Legendary in a couple of weeks.

Sunny and 70 deg. here today so We'll be outside enjoying the weather!

NICE, NICE, NICE!! Great progress!
Somehow I feel like I was down that road before...
I now wish i attempted my own seats, as it seems so easy. Oh well, the job I got was at least worth the $$.
Keep up the good work - you will be cruising in no time.
Rob, with some of the other projects I've seen you complete, the upholstery would not have been a problem for you. Thanks for helping lead the way...
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM

Excellent work you're doing! It's always a good thing when the 'inspector' has a smile!
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM

More

A few more items done. Let me say that I have saved alot of time, energy, pain, misery and money from what I have learned on this site. Thanks for everyone's input.

I used the super secret "$6.50" Sharpie trick I learned on CO (cost me $6.99 + tax) on my dash vents, glove box door , etc.

Cutlass001Small.jpg

Painted the headlight bezels. I used 1/8" pin stripe to tape off the silver reveal and shot them with semi-flat.

HeadlghtBezelsSmall.jpg

After getting the new carpet in, the black plastic trim didn't look so black. I dyed the front kick panels and the front seat belt retractor covers. I used SEM Landau Black, they look new. After reading about different plastic paints/dyes I decided to use SEM and would highly recommend their products. I found it at my local paint supply store.

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:49 AM

Wow - lots of people sure like that SEM interior paint. Maybe that is the one I will get for my interior parts. I just hope the color matches what I have.
Great work - keep it up!
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Look'in G-O-O-D

Thanks fer the updates
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Good looking work, keep posting pics, and we'll keep up with the compliments!
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:42 AM

This is going to turn out to be a really nice car with the detail of work going into it.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Finally got the seat backs done. By far the most tedious part of the seat recovering job. I fought with getting them positioned right, pulled tight, and anchored (hog ringed) to keep them that way. I'm happy with the results and I have uncovered another task that I don't care to do for a living.

Seriously, it's not that bad, like anything else it takes a little time, patience, and knowing when to step back and grab an adult beverage to help assess the situation.

FrontSeatAfter2Small.jpg

InteriorAfter1Small.jpg

Last edited by we jeep inn; July 22nd, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Wow - looking spiffy fur sure!
Seats came out great for a DIY job.
I hate to tell you this but I think you forgot the rear quarter panels...
Of course the orange gives a nice color contrast inside!
Better get them in before the inspector shows up again.
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Wow - looking spiffy fur sure!
Seats came out great for a DIY job.
I hate to tell you this but I think you forgot the rear quarter panels...
Of course the orange gives a nice color contrast inside!
Better get them in before the inspector shows up again.
Thanks Rob

I knew I was forgetting something...

My door panels should be shipping from Legendary this week!

Quick Reply: South Carolina '72 Supreme Convertible