Restoring my 62 Sport Sedan - The Project

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Restoring my 62 Sport Sedan - The Project. Update 10/3!

Hi all!

I have just started to restore my car

Car info:

OLDS 98 holiday sport sedan 1962
Style 62-3839 = 1962 Ninety Eight Holiday Sports Sedan
BC 2824 = 2824th Holiday Sports Sedan body built at the Southgate, CA body plant
Paint TTT = Sahara Mist lower body, roof, & wheels or wheelcovers
Trim 374 = Fawn interior

My plans for this year is to make it run like new,the body part i will start in the next winter.

So here is som pictures of my car and what im working with

Before engine restoration

this may look werry funny

haha

and finally out

All my restoration pictures of the engine is sadly missing but i can show you this :S
not so good looking:

and finally this is whats going in to the weekend i hope.

todays work

These are werry expensive in sweden

Last edited by maskinen; March 10th, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update!
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:20 AM

Nice! '62 is one of my all time favorite years for Oldsmobile. 394 parts don't come cheap over here either . The mounts for mine were in surprisingly good shape when I did my engine/trans so I just reused them. Your car looks a lot more solid than what I started with...at least it looks like it's fairly rust free. You gotta lose the chrome wagon wheels soon though...the only thing they look good on is a truck . Good luck on the project, looks like you're off to a good start.
Cheers,
Scott
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by toolbox
Nice! '62 is one of my all time favorite years for Oldsmobile. 394 parts don't come cheap over here either . The mounts for mine were in surprisingly good shape when I did my engine/trans so I just reused them. Your car looks a lot more solid than what I started with...at least it looks like it's fairly rust free. You gotta lose the chrome wagon wheels soon though...the only thing they look good on is a truck . Good luck on the project, looks like you're off to a good start.
Cheers,
Scott
Thanks scott .
yes the body is supricely rustfree
Hehe Yes those discusting wheels will be replaced as fast as possible,

Do you have a 62 to?

you may exuse my english, i have so much i will tell you guys about but i cant spell so good
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by maskinen
Thanks scott .
yes the body is supricely rustfree
Hehe Yes those discusting wheels will be replaced as fast as possible,

Do you have a 62 to?

you may exuse my english, i have so much i will tell you guys about but i cant spell so good
Your English seems fine . Don't have a '62...I actually have a '60. I posted a thread with pics of it on this forum. Scroll down the page and check out "pics of my '60". I've always like the '62 though...the front end and tail lights are some of the best of early '60s style.
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Today i have painted the engine space , and lifted in the engine and gearbox,
offcourse the front enginestand was totally crap. so now i must wait until thuesday for a new

paintjob!

The engine soon at its place!

Old March 10th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Todays work!!!

ps i like comments!
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Your written English is better than most of todays American born, speaking English as a first language, teenager!
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Maskinen, cool car, and I love that engine!

Keep the updates coming.

Jeff
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM

And finally the new enginestand? or what you call them. arrived

i hope that everything will go my way now . maybe it will be a testrun at sunday
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM

Its been a while i updated,
so whats new? my transmission was leaking as a river 2 wheeks ago thanks to i got wrong frontsealing, now when thats fixed my engine starts to leak at the rear sealing , hmm inspiration??
well anyway today my olds run thru the swedish inspection without any problems

btw i had some beers yesterday and painted my crappy wheels black, i think they match better to the car now

heres two pictures

check those fingerprints
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Past Administrator

You have done some nice work on your car and I have enjoyed reading this post. It has motivated me to be sure and have a camera ready to post progress on my project this spring. About the pictures; removing the engine, doesn't look so strange as we have all probably done the same although it does look sort of like the man is lifting the engine on his own power. I think the wheels look better black, nice work. The enginestand as you call it is the engine mount.
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
You have done some nice work on your car and I have enjoyed reading this post. It has motivated me to be sure and have a camera ready to post progress on my project this spring. About the pictures; removing the engine, doesn't look so strange as we have all probably done the same although it does look sort of like the man is lifting the engine on his own power. I think the wheels look better black, nice work. The enginestand as you call it is the engine mount.
Thank you so much Oldsguy!
cant wait to see whats your projects about
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Past Administrator

The car shown in my avatar is a '46 Olds model 76. I have already transplanted a 455 and TH400 into the car but haven't completed the wiring yet. I converted to 12 volts to use the modern alternator and changed the lamps as well. Have already converted the headlights and lamp sockets but haven't finished the wiring. I decided to not use a wiring kit as I work in electronics and felt qualified to do my own but also the car won't have many extra circuits. No A/C, no power windows or seats, no radio or stereo, no door or trunk poppers, not much of anything. I have already wired the headlamps, running/turn lamps, horns, stop switch, and rear lamps. I haven't installed the fuse panel yet (generic ten circuit type) and haven't done any starter/alternator/battery wiring yet, you know, the primary circuit stuff. It could probably all be done in a good two day weekend. After that, add all the fluids to the engine and transmission, finish up some small odds 'n ends and it will be ready to fire up! I haven't heard the engine running since I removed it from the last car it was in. At that time it had an old holly carburetor and edelbrock O4B manifold. I changed to a nice quadrajet (rebuilt by Danny Sarvis here on this site) and a real clean Troker manifold. Once I get the car running I plan to fabricate some wheel well headers and lakes style side pipes. Well, that's enough for now. I hope to be taking pictures along the way.

edit: I forgot about the vintage Mallory distributor that I added from a purchase off the internet. NO vacuum advance so I may have to do some fine tunning on the timing.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM

now i remember, if you think its low its becuse i just installed hi jackers
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM

The car shown in my avatar is a '46 Olds model 76. I have already transplanted a 455 and TH400 into the car but haven't completed the wiring yet. I converted to 12 volts to use the modern alternator and changed the lamps as well. Have already converted the headlights and lamp sockets but haven't finished the wiring. I decided to not use a wiring kit as I work in electronics and felt qualified to do my own but also the car won't have many extra circuits. No A/C, no power windows or seats, no radio or stereo, no door or trunk poppers, not much of anything. I have already wired the headlamps, running/turn lamps, horns, stop switch, and rear lamps. I haven't installed the fuse panel yet (generic ten circuit type) and haven't done any starter/alternator/battery wiring yet, you know, the primary circuit stuff. It could probably all be done in a good two day weekend. After that, add all the fluids to the engine and transmission, finish up some small odds 'n ends and it will be ready to fire up! I haven't heard the engine running since I removed it from the last car it was in. At that time it had an old holly carburetor and edelbrock O4B manifold. I changed to a nice quadrajet (rebuilt by Danny Sarvis here on this site) and a real clean Troker manifold. Once I get the car running I plan to fabricate some wheel well headers and lakes style side pipes. Well, that's enough for now. I hope to be taking pictures along the way.

edit: I forgot about the vintage Mallory distributor that I added from a purchase off the internet. NO vacuum advance so I may have to do some fine tunning on the timing.
wow! sounds that its just the "fun" easier part left on your awsome -46, and don´t forget to take pictures for us intressed
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM

Finally my service manual arrived, hope it will help me to adjust the t.v rod for the kickdown now
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Past Administrator

Great, I am happy for you, service manuals make it much easier.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:30 PM

Great, I am happy for you, service manuals make it much easier.
thanks! yes it sure do, but i just dont understand how to adjust this rod even now when i read the illustrations, it seems that its not printed how to adjust it, this begins to get frustrated
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM

Wow, maskinen, you are really far north in Sweden! You probably don't need to use your headlamps in summer!

Great photos, by the way... definately post more as you progress. Just starting work on my '62 Super 88 Coupe.

-Justin
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM

I think the car looks supremely SUPER COOL and RIGHTEOUS!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by justinj
Wow, maskinen, you are really far north in Sweden! You probably don't need to use your headlamps in summer!

Great photos, by the way... definately post more as you progress. Just starting work on my '62 Super 88 Coupe.

-Justin
Thank you Justin , yes is a bit "upphill" . as you say i never need to use the headlights in the middle of the summer, just park lights, my plans in this week is to drill 8mm holes in every headlamps to install chrystal white diods, I think that can be a cool
combination with the park lights in the bumper

thanks i try to have my camera with me while progressing,and i promise it will be more to come,
I really like the 88s, infact i chosse between a super88 and this 98 sportsedan, why i choosed this modell is becuse its really rare here in sweden,
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I think the car looks supremely SUPER COOL and RIGHTEOUS!
Thank you so much Olds64
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Today i have installed Nos glove and trunk locks,

i highly recomend this guys ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Thomas-Sestak...ksid=p284.m158

fast shipping around the world, and hes werry helpfull.

todays pictures:

not so nice.. but after some adjustment and lubricant it worked again

here´s the new cylinders:

and this is how it looks now:

Old May 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Btw Paul!

i found in my service manual how to adjust the tv rod
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Starfire61
Very Nice!

Is your vacuum trunk release working?
thanks, yes it does, first wen i bought the car no vacuum at all worked, but i figured out allmost everything, same with the electrical, its fun when everything works
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Today i have changed the oil pan sealing and the rear flywheel seal, bend my exhaust pipes correct, sorry no pictures, i forgot my camera home

now im tired!
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:41 AM

Today i have changed the oil pan sealing and the rear flywheel seal, bend my exhaust pipes correct, sorry no pictures, i forgot my camera home

now im tired!
Ah yes...the dreaded rear main seal. Did you use another rope seal, or did you find the neoprene replacement? I've done my rear main twice (once at rebuild time, and then again) and my 394 still marks its territory .
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
...ruler...

Dig your car. I had a 62 Holiday for a while too.

olds13.jpg
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by hudsoncustom
Dig your car. I had a 62 Holiday for a while too.

Mmmmmmm, I like a lot! Very nice color combo. Did you eventually sell it?
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Maskinen,

Hello to Sweden, one of my favorite countries!! I was there twice and never saw an old American car... Your will sure be a head turner there! I like the progress you are making and the photoshow also. It will be something to look at that later, and think "I did that?!" The engine was a big transformation.
You are coming along quite well, despite being in a place that parts are scarce - keep it up, man!!
I had a lot of Swedish friends back in the old days when I worked for Ericsson and I always liked how you guys changed the v's with w's...

Dan,
It was nice to hear the progress on your 47; I always wondered about that picture and it is now explained... Hope you get it on the road soon.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
...ruler...

Mmmmmmm, I like a lot! Very nice color combo. Did you eventually sell it?
Yeah, I sold it a couple of years ago. It was House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine over silver metalflake. The top was the silver, and had Tangerine scallops, while the remainder was tangerine with silver scallops.
Fun car.
Old May 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Past Administrator

Wow!
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM

I agree with Dan, cool colors! And I like those pipes to!

Don
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:27 PM

I have to give an A++ to hudsoncustom for having the guts to do anything different from stock - especially to a '62. I have heard guys that own '62's that they are more interested in factory chalk markings on the firewall, having the dealer upholstery books, factory paint chip charts and NOS trim they will probably never use. I would love to see somebody do something DIFFERENT - and to a Starfire - shave the handles, remove some emblems, etc. But wait... that wont be factory appearing
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM
...ruler...

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
I have to give an A++ to hudsoncustom for having the guts to do anything different from stock - especially to a '62. I have heard guys that own '62's that they are more interested in factory chalk markings on the firewall, having the dealer upholstery books, factory paint chip charts and NOS trim they will probably never use. I would love to see somebody do something DIFFERENT - and to a Starfire - shave the handles, remove some emblems, etc. But wait... that wont be factory appearing
Ha ha. wait till you see what I'm doing with my 61.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Past Administrator

You guys ought to visit the HAMB. There is nothing stock over there! Lots of 32 Fords (of course) but quite a few other makes and models as well. The early sixties are represented pretty well, Buicks, Chevies, Fords, Mopars, and of course Oldsmobiles. The general treatment on them is bagged, low, shaved, and custom paint. I don't recall too many that were chopped though.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Past Administrator

There is room for both of you guys here. Pual I don't really think any insult was intended, although I will leave it for the original poster. It is easy to validate ourself by "poking fun" at those in the opposite camp, I have done it, I am guilty too. Who hasn't used the term "fart can" in a derogatory sense, eh?
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Wow it has happend alot here,

some news! another car!::::::

Old May 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
...ruler...

Talking

You guys ought to visit the HAMB. There is nothing stock over there! Lots of 32 Fords (of course) but quite a few other makes and models as well. The early sixties are represented pretty well, Buicks, Chevies, Fords, Mopars, and of course Oldsmobiles. The general treatment on them is bagged, low, shaved, and custom paint. I don't recall too many that were chopped though.
I'm a member on the HAMB too. same username.

And I agree with Oldsfan...I generally keep my mouth shut when I don't care for anything. (generally). I like stockers, and modifieds.

See, with my cars, I generally can't afford to purchase anything nice. So, I wind up with a pile of junk. Restoration costs a lot of $$, especially when the "rare" parts have already been scavenged off. It's much more cost effective for me to build a period "custom" than to try and restore...not to mention...I like customs better anyhow.
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
...ruler...

Wow it has happend alot here,

some news! another car!::::::
Looking good! You've got bitten by the bug now!

Quick Reply: Restoring my 62 Sport Sedan - The Project