Rear quarter window question...

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2019, 07:26 AM

Rear quarter window question...

Greetings all ye Oldsmobilers!😀

So I just finished replacing the pass side quarter window roller (the one that rides in the middle of the track) on my 72 Supreme. Everything is working good, but I have a few issues.

In the process of moving the window to get everything apart, the trim piece that goes on the window came off. I put it back on, but it won't stay tight. Is there an adhesive or tape that I can use to get it to stay? I have the black goop for door seals, but I dunno if I can apply it without making a mess.

Also, when I push on the window, there is some movement back and forth, and I'm not sure if this is normal, or if there is an adjustment. As I said, it rolls up and down fine, but I was just wondering.

Finally, (and this is my biggest concern), after I got everything all tightened up, when I checked for a good seal with the front door window, it's not sealing right. (see pics below). Again, I'm thinking it's an adjustment, but where? I have a good seal along the top to the drip rail seal, but it's the seal along the front of the window that's giving me problems. My thought was to loosen everything up on the mechanism, set the window to the door and tighten everything back up. Am I on the right track, or way off base?

Thanks,
Dave

Old May 7th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Lance

Soffseal makes the below to retain the quarter window leading edge chrome, but I can not locate the Soffseal part number.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351984956626?ul_noapp=true

However, the original material to retain this chrome was "glass setting tape".
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dave,
Swing by a glass shop. They use something like a 1/32 double sided glass tape to adhere the glass to the chrome. Most of the time they'll just give you some. Put it onto the glass first, wrap around, then press the chrome over top. Use an exacto knife blade to cut off the excess.

Check your Fisher body manual. There's an adjustment you can do to set the window in a bit more.
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Dave,
Swing by a glass shop. They use something like a 1/32 double sided glass tape to adhere the glass to the chrome. Most of the time they'll just give you some. Put it onto the glass first, wrap around, then press the chrome over top. Use an exacto knife blade to cut off the excess.

Check your Fisher body manual. There's an adjustment you can do to set the window in a bit more.
Will do Allan and thanks. Do you know if the adjustment will pull the window in?
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It should. Remember that the top of the glass will move a lot more than the bottom when the adjustment is done. This is very fine tune stuff.
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
It should. Remember that the top of the glass will move a lot more than the bottom when the adjustment is done. This is very fine tune stuff.
Allan, when you say the top will move more than the bottom, do you mean when it's being rolled up and down, or when I adjust it?
Old May 7th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

When you adjust it Dave. Have the window rolled up all the way to test your adjustments and closure. Think of the adjustment as a lever or pivot. You move the bottom a little to move the top a lot.
Old May 8th, 2019, 06:05 AM

After a quick 5 minute adjustment I'm good to go. After a quick reference to the body manual, I followed my thought process of loosening the upper and lower support plates then closing the door to set it. Tightened everything up and it works like a champ!

Also, after Allan's suggestion for re-attaching the trim/seal that runs along the front of the window, I remembered I had some high strength clear double stick tape in the garage. Gave it a shot and it worked😀

Thanks again to all who chimed in with their advice and suggestions.

Dave