Quasi Restoration 1964 F85 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by sunderlandmorrow
Yea that's what I decided on too. I'm not going to do any big jobs on the car until school is over. Yesterday I played with the linkage and found out where it is binding up. I recorded it so someone can help diagnose what is the actual issue. For reference, the issue is right where the linkage passes through the firewall into the engine bay. I've got the linkage disconnected from the transmission so what you can see in the video moves without too much force. I'm able to "shift it" as you can see in the video but it keeps getting caught up, and it seems there is a spring loaded mechanism pushing the linkage towards the firewall, which is strange as it causes the linkage to bind up. With some "rigging" I'm sure I could get it to shift through the gears but I'm a stickler for doing the job right. No idea how this mechanism was intended to work, and any insight would be nice.

Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fok...ature=youtu.be

The fuel tank screen/float arrived today, and I installed it in about 10 minutes:

Picking up a gasket from the part store tomorrow for the differential cover. I'll put the tank back in after that is all done.
Just by chance did you get the sending unit replacement with the same amount of OHM'S as the gauge in the dash? I forgot what the number was but the new replacement unit I got did not work for the 64 gauge. MY car is a resto mod anyway so I bought a new Autometer fuel gauge. End of story..
Old August 29th, 2021, 07:33 PM

If I recall correctly I don't think my gas gauge worked either after replacing, I must have done the same as you. I will check once the car is running again (Very soon)
Old August 29th, 2021, 07:38 PM

Now I found a fellow forum member to rebuild the engine as it just wasn't looking too good. It seemed like a very tired engine but still ran okay. Once I saw some bearing-like material in the oil pan I knew it was probably time to rebuild, I couldn't see myself putting it all back together knowing what I had seen.

I brought the engine down to Gene in Fremont (64Rocket) on the forums here. He has done many of these engines and it worked out perfectly. When I originally got off the phone with Gene, I knew it would be a no bs type transaction. No delays in time, no hidden fees here or there just a great experience all around (assuming the thing runs good and I have yet to fire it up)!

Some pictures of the rebuild:

Carb rebuilt by a shop nearby in Fremont:
1cdBg75l.png

Crankshaft back from machine shop:
tvxr1bol.png

Block all cleaned up:
u9RuSj5l.png

Block painted original color:
H6Dlo01l.png

Bearings in:
yZlZ5jWl.png

Crankshaft in and bearing caps torqued:
Nzaxc1vl.png

O25lKOKl.png

Oil pan painted and installed:
JpIFohOl.png

Pistons installed (Also a new timing cover as the old one was pretty pitted):
cxHSOVhl.png
lLWNyptl.png
J2fCPL4l.png

Water pump and heads on:
P5DNXqTl.png

Pulleys intake and valve covers:
ZiAAgu5l.png

I transported it back home up north and put it on my engine stand and began to finish the rest:

New fuel pump, rebuilt the power steering pump, new t stat, new belts, rebuilt and painted the alternator, painted all of the brackets etc.
TLyNf9ml.png

Bolted the trans and torque converter onto the engine:
D4efTh3l.png

Now, this is where I am at right now:

Engine and trans put in, carburetor installed with new air filter and gasket, new power steering hoses, new heater core installed etc:
idDoq1Hl.jpg

That is all for now and I have all of the other parts painted, wheel wells, front end, etc. I just need some time to finish it as I am super busy with school again right now. I am very much looking forward to firing it up! Also I believe we are going to do dual exhaust on it and hopefully soon before I finish everything on it.

Last edited by sunderlandmorrow; August 29th, 2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old August 30th, 2021, 03:09 PM
72 Olds CS

That looks really nice, ill bet you cant wait to fire it up!!
Old August 30th, 2021, 07:00 PM

Can’t wait to see the finished product.