Newly acquired 1970 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2024, 05:40 AM

All connected up.

Old May 21st, 2024, 10:08 AM

Great thread and you're doing really nice work. I see you dropped the new engine in place with the hood still on the car. How tight a fit was that? I'm going to be doing the same thing myself in a few months and would prefer to leave the hood on the car if I can.
I also like your wheel/tire combination. Suits that car very well.
Old May 21st, 2024, 10:17 AM

Dropping in the engine/trans with the hood still on is not easy, but it's doable. The engine lift method has to be such that the hang point of the assembly is close to the intake (carb lift plate). This is to make sure there is enough room to get the assembly over the core support, but also not interfere with the hood anywhere. This makes the angle very steep when you are getting it over the core support. Notice the hoist lift bar is almost interfering with the water neck/intake. It *just* fits in for install.
Old May 21st, 2024, 04:04 PM

And I now have a vapor recovery canister installed and connected to the tank. I just have to hook it to the vacuum side now. Typically, there would be an engine temperature controlled vacuum switch that would open a purge valve that was also controlled by a ported vacuum source. That way, there is no purge at idle and very little at WOT. I'll get to that...

Old May 22nd, 2024, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by rfpowerdude
Dropping in the engine/trans with the hood still on is not easy, but it's doable. The engine lift method has to be such that the hang point of the assembly is close to the intake (carb lift plate). This is to make sure there is enough room to get the assembly over the core support, but also not interfere with the hood anywhere. This makes the angle very steep when you are getting it over the core support. Notice the hoist lift bar is almost interfering with the water neck/intake. It *just* fits in for install.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice you were installing the trans as well as the engine. I bet that was tricky. I've done the two together with the hood off but wouldn't attempt it with the hood on. I'm going to be leaving the trans in the car and only installing the engine so I think it should be a little easier for me. Worth a shot.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 10:34 AM

I would definitely do it with the hood on if it’s just the engine. That very high angle between the lift bar and engine will still be necessary, though.
Old May 27th, 2024, 12:58 PM

Just about road worthy...