I've finally gone and done it

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Wow, just went through your entire thread. You've been through a lot with this car. Restoring these is not for the faint of heart.

Don't worry if it's not perfect. Nothing in life is. Looks fantastic to me. Looks like a pretty good colour match to my '66 Ninety Eight, the body of which I had restored and painted about 10 years ago. The body shop forgot to do the one thing that bugged me: bend the front right corner of the hood so it better lines up with the front fender. I still notice it, but it doesn't really bother me. Too much I'll try attaching a pic or two.

And now that you've invested all this time, $ and pain, don't just sell it in a couple of years!

Bob Dylan trip to Saskatoon, 2017

At home...
Old July 5th, 2019, 12:07 PM

I have a Edelbrock performer intake and a Q-Jet on top of a 67 BB Olds 400E. Got a drop base bottom from Summit with the same diameter as the top cover. Otherwise I would have had hood clearance issues too. Just an

idea.
Old July 24th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by pfriesen
And now that you've invested all this time, $ and pain, don't just sell it in a couple of years!
I kept the car in storage for 15 years waiting to get this done, so I doubt I will sell it anytime soon. I would never get the money I put into it back out anyways.

I repainted the jack and tire iron last week. This week, I've removed the seat covers to send them off to SMS Auto Fabrics to have them reproduced. I found 56¢ in change, three used 22¢ stamps, a coupon that was good for one day in 1988, and I discovered that the previous owner disposed of her snot rags by stuffing them into the seat. I also discovered the original front seat cover.

Old July 24th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Gary

It's so satisfying to look at a well-done restoration. And yours looks like something from a time machine.

And your anodized trim looks perfect!

I had problems with the aluminum trim parts and ultimately spent $800 before they looked like yours. Others have told me they spent more than that. Even though you had to chase the parts back and forth, you got a great result at a good price.

Nice work!
Old August 2nd, 2019, 02:59 PM

Almost as good as new. Just need to install the torsion bars.
Old November 8th, 2019, 08:01 AM

Got my new seat covers and visors this week. Won't be until the new year before I can get the whole interior installed by an upholsterer, but I'm happy that I'm getting close to reclaiming my apartment from this beast.

Old May 13th, 2020, 09:42 AM

I've finally got it to the interior shop. It'll take them a couple weeks to get everything installed. Since my last update, I got my bumpers back and re-installed them. The front of the bumpers look great, but the rear of the bumpers had some rust spots left. Not overly happy about that. The front bumper needs to be moved back slightly and I broke the socket of one of the back-up lights while trying to re-install the back bumper, so I'm going to have to fix that when I get the car back.

I'm really struggling getting this weatherstripping to work. No one makes pre-made stuff for my car. I tried sticking them onto the trim with clear RTV, but it's messy and I just can't get one to go on without peeling off.

Old May 13th, 2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tiberian Fiend
Thanks. By the end of this, I expect I'll have spent $12,000+ and end up with an $8,000 car (if I'm lucky). If nothing else, I'll have a unique ride.
If only we all could say we are just 4 grand in upside down we would be lucky indeed.
You are doing a great job!
Old May 13th, 2020, 10:34 AM

Hey B964 remember it's a hobby, a very expansive hobby at that. You don't even what to know what I got in the 64 F-85 build.Let's put it another way it's a 1 and almost done and that's it for me...time to enjoy the fruits of my labor!!
Old May 13th, 2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by B964
If only we all could say we are just 4 grand in upside down we would be lucky indeed.
You are doing a great job!
I'm going to end up far deeper into it than that. Part of the roof where the paint was burned off new body shop welded it is rusting, so I'm going to have to get that fixed, and it's got a rust bubble near the deck lid and on the hood lip. The hood is also developing surface rust. I think I might end up getting the whole roof repainted the original Tahoe Turquoise so I can return the car to triple turquoise like it left the factory and get them to dig the quarter panel out of all of that bondo to pull it out and repaint it.
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:22 PM

New seat covers, carpet, and headliner installed. These nasty old seat belts are going to be a problem.