Greg Godon's 69 442 Post

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:03 PM

Thanks,my motivation is about dwindled,but I still have some small stuff to complete. Tomorrow is cleanup day,shop looks like a tornado went thru it.

Greg
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Fyi

Simply spectacular work. Please take a bow.

Dave
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks Dave, but thats not nessesary,this is what I do so anything less and I would be very dissapointed in myself.
Old April 27th, 2015, 02:25 AM

Today is the day for Mecum pics,hope they dont put it off again. Ordered a muffler cover on line was suppose to be here last week still didnt get it.

Greg
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:20 AM

I saw this car in person yesterday morning. Pictures do not do it justice. It is badass.
Old April 27th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Thanks Chad,hope your trip home went well.

Got the pics taken,photographer loved the car as did everyone else from Mecum that saw it.,should be on the website soon.

Greg
Old April 27th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Pics are up on Mecums web site,www.mecum.com Lot S66 Saturday

Greg
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:05 PM

Try this:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/SC0...442/Automatic/
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:22 PM

Stunning car, great pictures!

Ryan
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM

Really pulling for you ..

Kudo's to taking all of your talents , dedication , Monster hour commitments , and attention to detail , well done . I'm extremely interested to see just how well the buyers group pays attention to your choice of a completely honest , completely DONE car .
Really respect your quality , and I hope knowledgeable bidders see it . I spent 1.5 hours looking at the entire docket last night , and I think you have one of the best spots available . Perhaps 3 hours into Saturday ?
My experience is 7 - 10 days @ Barrett - Jackson Scottsdale every year , and from my view , yours is the nicest 442 in the sale . Bring some friends , stay close to your car , and stay hugely positive !

There is a quality that YOU bring into this equation . I would buy one of your cars because of you .. This sounds stupid , but a quality owner - builder builds confidence to bidders . If you are parked in a perfect spot , many times you car bring lawn chairs + a cooler in . IF you can get a spot with POWER close by , a technique that has worked for one of my best friends was a continuous , rolling , picture media show on a lap top adjacent to the car . It really starts conversation about your car , and gets solid interaction going ..

That being said . I would like to see a record price , and a great experience for you ..
Cheers , JT
Old April 28th, 2015, 06:48 PM

Thank You for that post. The photographer also asked how I got that time slot as he thought it was one of the best , I was told that I have a spot in the building with all the Magazine cars right near the bidding block. Im not realy sure what to expect. I am making a folder with all the pictures of the resto. Also Bob is helping me with making a plack with copies of documents,reciepts, Montana title etc to place in front of, or near the car. It will be hard to keep me away from the car,I guarantee I will give anyone who will listen a complete commentary on the car and my 45 years of restoration and Oldsmobile experiance. Lol Thanks again I had a kind of hard day and your post made my day.

Greg

Last edited by rcktdoc; April 28th, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 03:22 AM

Well I got my intinerary yesterday for Indy,they gave me the wrong lot #. Monday I will have to go down there and get it straightened out. I dont understand how when its on their website correct and other paper work.

Greg
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:59 AM

Stay Strong Greg ..

I see this kind of stuff happen ALL the time @ B-J Scottsdale !
You are going to get the inside feel . The BOYS Club . Various versions of the Wizard of OZ . Some of these names and people are well identified , and well hidden . They bring in 3 - 20 cars , and seem to dictate the SHOW SCHEDULE for the day .. Keep your priorities in order .
You do NOT care what your LOT # is . Just so you go off about 3 hours in . Actually you do NOT need to care if you are on TV .. Almost everyone views on the Live Stream .. AND to Mecum , you SHOULD be the most valuable commodity . There are some of the BOYS Club that are very cool people . Most of the BOYS Club can NOT produce the kind of car you are bringing .
You have a REAL car , with BORN WITH , genetics and PARTS . And you are put together properly ! This puts you in the top 5 % of what is available .
As a sidebar , be courteous - professional - and DATA driven in your personal and verbal exchanges .. Easier said than done .. Show an email trail of commitments . Bring 1 or 2 good friends that are taking notes with you . It is rare that you will be communicating with real decision makers .
AND , stay super positive . Look the Mecum people in the eye and let them know just how important this entire experience is for you ..
I look forward to you setting new standards with your RED car . Keep us posted .. Just part of the process.. JT
Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:59 AM

I know Brian Topp the consignment guy.Im hopeing it was just a clerical mistake. I will find out Monday when I talk to Brian

Greg
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:06 PM

Worked on charging the air today,evacuated the system and it holds steady vacuum. Had a problem with it yesterday not holding vacuum to find it was my ac charging hoses. Bought a new gauge and hose set today and all is good. Will let it sit under vacuum until morning and if it held @ 30 in Ill charge tomorrow. Been going around and around the car cleaning,buffing and just detailing ( Im never satisfied) and car is twice as nice as when it was photographed. Slowly but surely its getting there.

Greg
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:42 PM
Photoshop God

The car's amazing Greg, if I had the money I'd have you do mine in a second.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:48 PM

Got all the pics downloaded on an external drive and will do a rolling display of the resto on my computer as Jimi suggested. Thanks for the suggestions and compliments Jimi. Will be making show placks on Monday with Bob for all the pertinent info, docs, etc. Thanks Bob for all the help couldnt have done this post without you,Bob was the driving force behind me doing this posting. Thanks to everyone else for the compliments and just following along. If this works out well I will do another one if I can find a suitable car. If anyone knows of a 68-72 W car forsale let me Know the more original and rustfree the better. Prefer 68/69 post cars but Im open to others.

Greg
Old May 3rd, 2015, 03:17 PM

Did the air recharge today and it works great,now I just have to fix the vacuum lines at the control so it gets air out the vents. I need a gold steering wheel with no cracks....Anyone???

Greg
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Greg made up some posters to show some of the paperwork. Most important is the build sheet documenting just about every major part on the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000_1420.jpg (27.2 KB, 67 views)
000_1421.jpg (32.2 KB, 60 views)
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:43 PM

And here is the build sheet.
Attached Images
build sheet0001.jpg (89.4 KB, 61 views)
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:31 AM

Bob helped with these,to be honest I couldnt have done these without his help. He had a program,scanner/printer and a lot more knowledge about doing it than I do. Thanks once again Bob.
These will be on display with the car in the building all week. went to Mecum yesterday and got the itinerery straightened out. It turns out S23 was My original lot # from the day I first talked to them and I was bumped up to the better time slot after they saw the car and there was a cancelation and the paper work was never changed until yesterday,so all is good ......Im still Lot S66 Looking forward to this and hope to see some of you there,Stop by if your there.

Greg
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Well its all done,loaded in trailer and ready to leave Sunday morning early.Last night there was a cruise at the local Chevy dealer so decided to take it,Got a lot of good comments.quite a few people commented on how nice the original interior was. LOL We also took My son Als car and the general question on that was.... What is an F85?

Greg
Old May 8th, 2015, 03:33 PM

Pics

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
Well its all done,loaded in trailer and ready to leave Sunday morning early.Last night there was a cruise at the local Chevy dealer so decided to take it,Got a lot of good comments.quite a few people commented on how nice the original interior was. LOL We also took My son Als car and the general question on that was.... What is an F85?

Greg
Post a pic of that F-85
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:15 PM

Here's Al's F-85. What a father and son team!
Attached Images
008a.jpg (77.5 KB, 92 views)
009a.jpg (78.3 KB, 93 views)
012a.jpg (83.0 KB, 92 views)
014a.jpg (74.2 KB, 85 views)
026a.jpg (80.7 KB, 89 views)
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the pics. fabulous Ram Rod.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:19 PM

I think Im going to post some more on the resto of my green 69 4sp car when I get back from the auction.

Greg
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Another fine Olds, sweet.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:41 PM

saw the car today greg, looked real nice. is that your spot for the duration or might you get a better building? all that wind and dust...ugh
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:23 PM

Progress Report ?

Nice job on responding to our fellow C.O. member on looking at a hood for him .. Good form .
AND , if it is possible , share the nuts and bolts of your everyday experience . Utilize your friends down there . Between " strits " and " italian ice " you might have a contact or 2 with a Go-Pro or is proficient with their I - phone for video purposes . That would be really cool to capture on Saturday .

I watched online stream from Indy this morning . Man , there were some deals on Tuesday type of cars . The good take away , nobody was spending much today . By about Thursday evening you will be contemplating many mood altering possibilities . Alcohol , Pharmaceuticals , or just packing up and leaving ... AND , you will say " I will NEVER do this again " !
I say this . Have confidence . Your red car is the gold standard . Keep your C.O. forum members handy , and the same goes for the Yenko forum members .. AND , if either of the Mecum family tries to put their arms around you Saturday , full approval to resort to primal tendencies ..
Hope you are having a great time .. Be fierce .. Succeed..
All good thoughts for you .. Jimi2
Old May 12th, 2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jstrits
saw the car today greg, looked real nice. is that your spot for the duration or might you get a better building? all that wind and dust...ugh
There were a few high end cars that had to be relocated today for this same reason

Dan
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:43 AM

I tried to get relocated but hit a wall,was told basicly to deal with it because people wont be able to find the car if I move it.....BS On another note the staff of Mecum are all Great peopled talked to quite a few of them.Ive been here since Sunday and you wouldnt believe what an undertaking and great coordination it is to putting on the auction Im in awe. Put a cover on it when I left yesterday at 4:30 Im tired of constantly trying to keep it clean. Lots of people walking around that dont have a clue,not just about our car but any car. I think the wind and cooler temps have kept things quiet. Couldnt put up the info plaques because of the wind. Was asked if I would judge @ the MCNCA show in Nov by Mike G. told him I would think about it,( judgeing is a thankless pain). He owns the Jones & Benicek Light My Fire Stage 2 Buick that I restored back in 93 so he knows my capabilities and experiance.I was also head judge for Chevelles @ Chevy Vette Fest the predicesor to MCNCA from 84-94. He also has 4 cars going thru the auction on Saturday 2 Buicks Stage1s, 1 Nickey Camaro and a 71 W30 conv
Jason didnt see you guys but maybe we can hookup today My # is 224-234-3860 this goes for anyone else who is down here,Im board out of my mind.
Jimi how true it is what your saying made me chuckle. Im trying to keep an upbeat attitude but after yesterday its tough.Talked to Mike the guy that needed the hood picked up and will be hauling it back for him,Its not any problem and Im glad to help him out.
A 68 B5 Blue Hemi Charger is a few cars down from ours and my wife wants it I had a 69 Charger B5 blue ,Blue Interior when we met. When I told her how much the car might go for she changed her mind Hope today is a better day than yesterday!

Last edited by rcktdoc; May 13th, 2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:09 AM

I only had yesterday to do the trip and I was there to get a feel for car conditions. I like to see them in person so I can know and explain to people why cars sell for such different prices. Feel good that you have the nicest 442 there. Was dissapointed in the two 71 w 30's. One had a $400 hood on it and the convertible had fender emblem placement that was so close to the door I think they used a '68 template. I could go on and on. And the two 66 442 ragtops! Oh my. When I see razor blade marks on windows from primer overspray.....again I could go on and on. Its sad but there are so many horrible restorations out there. Out of 2000 cars id say maybe 20% were of a high standard. Thats my opinion and more and more auctions are seeming to be this way. They seem like a dump off zone. Good luck and will be rooting for ya this weekend.
Old May 13th, 2015, 06:29 AM

Greg, hang in there. Things will be a lot different by the end of the day today. Weather is getting better and the cars and crowd will file in. Warm weekend should mean a really big turnout. Enjoy.
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:54 AM

Do you know what day, and the approx. time that it will cross the block?
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Do you know what day, and the approx. time that it will cross the block?

Saturday....around 11:30am to Noon.

Best of Luck Greg! Hope you can buy that Mopar for the Wife.

Dan
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:44 PM

Quite an experience!!

Keep us posted!!

Ryan
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:05 AM

After posted twice and got kicked off twice, I'll post later.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:04 PM

Live from Mecum Indianapolis

Greg's having a great time at Indy. Meeting a lot of nice people. I'll be headed down there tomorrow morning for the Friday and Saturday action.

Here are some pics of his car and space at the auction.
Attached Images
Mecum 1.jpg (72.0 KB, 63 views)
Mecum 2.jpg (85.0 KB, 62 views)
Mecum 3.jpg (80.3 KB, 59 views)
Old May 15th, 2015, 01:11 AM

Today @ around 2pm or so the car will be moved from the tent to Staging for saturdays cars.
Old May 15th, 2015, 02:57 AM

GOOD LUCK GREG but I don't think you need any. The car looks fantastic and will do well.

Quick Reply: Greg Godon's 69 442 Post