Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2021, 05:57 PM

Fuel Line Replacement

I have tried to search and can't seem to find the answers.
I have a 69 cutlass convertible
Can the fuel line (tank to pump) be replaced without taking the body off? I see that the fuel line is on the passenger side frame and then at the rear goes up between the frame and body and has a few curves.

I can get the old one out by cutting it but how can I get the new one in?

Please help.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 06:20 PM

For anything less than a concours restoration,, use 5 foot or shorter lengths of steel brake line from the parts store, with brass couplers to join them. For the ends, use your double lap flaring tool to bulge the end.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 06:25 PM

To get the fuel line installed without cutting it, the body does not have to be completely removed, but it does have to be lifted. Remove the rear bumper, rear body mount bolts, and the body mount bolts along the right side. It has been a few years since I have done one, but I seem to recall that you need to raise the body 4-6 inches in that area to get the line in place.
Old March 22nd, 2021, 07:36 PM

I forgot to mention I change the tank to a intank pump so not sure about the couplings with high pressure?

Anyway to route the new fuel line and not go between the frame and body?
Old March 23rd, 2021, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Darrin Honious
I forgot to mention I change the tank to a intank pump so not sure about the couplings with high pressure?

You could drill a hole in the frame cross member.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 12:50 PM

Has anyone use the PTFE hose to replace the fuel line? Any issues to be aware of?
Old March 23rd, 2021, 01:08 PM
Running On Empty

PTFE is regarded as the best substance for coating a multitude of devices where extremely limited friction and non-abrasion is paramount. It will not absorb water completely hydrophobic. As long as you can buy from a reputable manufacturer I’d have no problems at all using it as a fuel line.
Old March 23rd, 2021, 01:40 PM

I can tell you from first hand experience that this can be done. You'll need two things: motivation and patience. I replaced the fuel lines (feed and return) in my '69 442 convertible close to 25 years ago. I actually replaced the original steel lines with stainless and this made the job harder as the stainless wouldn't bend easily. You'll need the car on jack stands and remove the rear passenger side wheel. This will give you a couple of inches of access to the area above the frame rail. You have to fish the line up and around the frame and use this small window in the wheel well to get it angled back toward the tank.
It's a monumental PITA but it can be done and, in my opinion, easier than trying to raise the body off the frame. Of course, that is the right way to do it but I'm here to tell you it can be done this way if you're careful.
Old March 25th, 2021, 05:57 AM

If you do it on your back it won’t work. Also anytime you remove the rubber lines back at the tank you will get a gasoline shampoo. Make sure no source of ignition or anyone with a cigarette is even in the same county. Find a way to pinch off all the rubber lines some way. I have rounded bead pinch tools but vice grips work too as you will replace all rubber anyway.
Old March 25th, 2021, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Darrin Honious

l

i installed the Holley Retro in tank pump in the OEM fuel tank, and plumbed from pump using Gates efi hose to a GM fuel filter, then -6an braided line to my stock fuel line using a Holley/Earls -6 to 3/8” adaptor. I’m happy with my plumbing job, should last many miles..