Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM

ok back to work...

ok well the plan is to use two new products the por 15 putty which is like a seam sealer made from por 15 and the por 15 filler which is specially made to go over por15 will keep you posted.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM

Btw

I know the pics aren't sexy, but it keeps me motivated while tackling this thing it fels great to be working on her again, and hope to make tons more progress this building season.
Old May 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM

restogrip,,,

Well still underneath, sanding, grinding,wire wheeling man this is dirty work:-)
It is also thirsty work so when my wonderful wife told me last night at 6:30 that happy hour was suppose to start at 5 sharp and now I have to drink a two brew penalty I was very happy to oblige:-) the filler from por 15 is called restogrip I do not know if it is any different than gorilla hair filler? It is much more expensive though? I am not using much just a little to fix my ugly welds after grinding smooth. Anyway pictures to follow have a great weekend fellas.....

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; May 27th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old June 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM

still at it..

Well finally got a few hours together and spent about 6 hours under the car, on my back sanding the underside I am just about done with all four floor pans and working on the inside rocker panels tomorrow . I finished off the tyranny tunnel and it came out OK compared to the factory job it's aces lol. I used some poor 15 putty this comes in a tube and is like super thick por 15 I filled the seams between the floor braces and the floor I am surprised they never put seam sealer there? Anyway stuff works well,smooths nicely and will keep a lot of water out of the braces. Just thought I'd post an update
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Eddie you're doing an awesome job! I also like your garage...small but clean and everything has it's place! But I have to criticize that some of your pics are just too small...sometimes I could only admire your work using a spyglass :P
Any progress made since your last post?
Keep up the great work and keep us posted

Last edited by dancutlass; July 18th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks Dan...

Dan not much progress, I had a death in the family ( my Aunt) who was like a second mother to me, there is also a lot of family drama over this going on. My wife did buy my a millermatic 140 for my birthday and it should be arriving tomorrow. My wife also added a 10 x 12 deck for the back yard with a small Bar off it, sort of like a kleine biergarten kind of thing LOL... so I have been building that too, have to keep the missus happy...
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Dan not much progress, I had a death in the family ( my Aunt) who was like a second mother to me, there is also a lot of family drama over this going on. My wife did buy my a millermatic 140 for my birthday and it should be arriving tomorrow. My wife also added a 10 x 12 deck for the back yard with a small Bar off it, sort of like a kleine biergarten kind of thing LOL... so I have been building that too, have to keep the missus happy...
I'm very sorry to hear that Eddie! My deepest condolences!
I hope the Biergarten cheers you up a little and you can get back to your car soon trying out your millermatic (great present by the way)
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Hey Eddie,

Sorry to hear of your recent troubles! Hang in there! Sounds like your wife is a keeper! Happy wife, happy life!

Craig
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM

thank you fellas....

The millermatic came :-) and the wife's deck project got finished so moving ahead.. :-)
I need to hurry up and finish the rest of the underside so I can move on to the quarters then I should make better progress the plan is to have the fenders , doors, hood and trunk lid media blasted and epoxy primed and repairs to the doors and fenders will be done as I have time, I will also install the drive train back in the car but first I need to finish the underside and put the body back on the frame progress report soon :-)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM

Well I am gearing up to do the quarters on my 69 vert, I have read numerous articles and have read and reread Brians exceexcellent thread at least a dozen timesl
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-project.html

I also found this excellent article and thought folks might also be interested in their technique
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...al/photos.html
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t..._2/photos.html
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM

I actually am starting to feel pretty confident that this will turn out ok... but first I need to finish the underside, weekend s nearly here and honey does are down to a minimum, so hopefully I can make some headway
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:12 PM

Go get greasy Eddie!!!!!
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
No it's not a parts car!!

Great article, If you go to Musclecarrestorations.com web site you will see 1000s of pictures of the restorations all makes and models.
Gary
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM

Back at it...

Well yesterday I had a day off from work, so I spent the day in the garage, underneath the car ( UGHHHHH) as I said I am about 80% finished sanding and stripping the underside, so yesterday I scuffed everything and wiped it down with lacquer thinner and applied a couple of coats of POR-15, I made the mistake of buying the glossy black, but as i am going to paint anyway it makes no real difference IMHO. I ordered a couple of quarts of POR-15 tie coat primer, and some undercoating for doing the underside of the rockers, I also ordered a gallon of GM restoration black paint from the Parts Place, it was 89 bucks plus the 17 bucks for shipping. Once I finish stripping the drivers side rocker and POR 15 that side I can move back and redo the trunk bottom side and the wheel wells. I think that should go fairly quick as I have done this portion already years ago just not happy with the way it looks.

I did take some progress pics and I will post them tonight after work.
a funny thing when I was grinding on the drivers side rocker there was a half dollar size rust spot that was "flaking" so I ground and wire wheeled till it was "clean" and that left me a quarter size hole in the rocker panel, as I was pulling out the metal "flakes" I see this stuffing material in the rocker? I started pulling it out and sure enough some mouse had set up a house who knows how long ago? so I cut a 2" X 3" access whole as I had a piece of sheet metal that big, I then took a flexible pvc pipe and started to shove it in the hole, and attached the other end to my shop vac I duct taped the connection and I could not believe what this guy built in there!! I took a few metal hangers and went down the rocker there is a small access hole ( about a 1 inch square) and shoved the metal hangers down toward the front to make sure there was no debris left! I also checked the other side and all was ok, I also found the mouse mummy skeleton LOL... even though I was upset I did give him a proper burial in the yard next to the 3 hamsters, 7 goldfish and 2 bearded dragons in my daughters pet cemetary by the shed LOL...

I then trimmed the sheetmetal I had and used magnets to hold the panel in place and butt welded the repair piece in, as I haven't gotten the tank for my millar yet, I used fluxcore wire in my old mig, it was an OK repair, not beautiful, I ground the welds down, made sure they were sealed up well, and then applied por15 over the whole repair, I then used POR 15 restogrip long strand filler, and it is like nothing ever happened.

I will get the rust encapsulator spary from eastwood with the tube and spray the inside of the rockers but there was no issues that I could see inside more of a might as well.

Anyway it was nice to be working on her again...

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; August 21st, 2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM

pictures as promised

a few pics of the progress,
this is the 4 speed hump, after cleaning up the welds and some por 15, I used minimal amount of restogrip after the area was por-15'd and another coat of por-15, i will scuff , and primer, than use gm restoration black paint

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM

tunnel

here is the passengerside rear and the tunnel
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM

more

I filled most of the gaps between the floor braces and the floorpan with POR-15 putty, before the por-15 it works really well
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM

more underside

Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM

sorry bout all the pics, as I said I purchased the por -15 tie coat primer, some por-15 rubberized undercoat and gm restoration black paint, I plan to scuff down the entire underside use the tie coat primer, and then spray the entire underside with gm resto black, then move on to redoing the underside of the trunk and rear axle area then on to mounting the body to the frame, I will post more photos as i progress there are more photos in my albums
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM

Looks good Eddie. That must be a "fun" job to do while laying on your back. But it looks like you have it coated very well. So how much POR-15 are you wearing these days?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:22 AM

Hey Brian Thanks for the kudos , Ha, yes it isn't very pleasant under there, the POR-15 was fairly easy, and I try to be neat, I use the disposable Nitrile gloves under gator grips work gloves, and used a sponge brush, trick is to use a LOT of foam brushes because they seem to get soft after a little bit.

The worst part was cleaning the underside because you literally become the drop cloth, and 40+ year old cars have lots of crap under them LOL...

the best part though, I am under there and as was said you eat a whole elephant one bite at a time...

I am going to ask you if you have any pics of your body mount layout on your project? would love to see it
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM

Great job. It's looks really good Eddie. There's another bite out of the elephant's rear.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:30 PM

thank you sir

Originally Posted by lil_no
Great job. It's looks really good Eddie. There's another bite out of the elephant's rear.
Thank you, I must say ready to move up to ribs or something lol. Rump roast is getting mundane lol . I hope to be finished with the floor pans over the weekend, then a couple a days for the underside of the trunk floor then it's bolting the rear in, running the stainless brake lines and mounting the body:-) the body and frame haven't been as one in probably 10 years I will be ecstatic . I am planning a few days off and hope to make some headway
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM

Hey Brian Thanks for the kudos , Ha, yes it isn't very pleasant under there, the POR-15 was fairly easy, and I try to be neat, I use the disposable Nitrile gloves under gator grips work gloves, and used a sponge brush, trick is to use a LOT of foam brushes because they seem to get soft after a little bit.

The worst part was cleaning the underside because you literally become the drop cloth, and 40+ year old cars have lots of crap under them LOL...

the best part though, I am under there and as was said you eat a whole elephant one bite at a time...

I am going to ask you if you have any pics of your body mount layout on your project? would love to see it
I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean a photo of the frame with the rubber body mounts installed on it? Let me know if this is correct and I'll see what I have.
Brian
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean a photo of the frame with the rubber body mounts installed on it? Let me know if this is correct and I'll see what I have.
Brian
Yes Brian sorry I was not clear did you add the 'extra' mounts as well ? And I purchased a second set of mounts and bolts as the ones I bought from year one over 10 years ago looked fairly generic, and the bolts looked off the shelf now the new kit looks great however the washers don't look galvanized or coated? Did you do anything to yours? I spent a lot for stainless steel lines etc I hate rust lol so maybe I should just etch primer and spray them?
Anyway pics of the rubber mounts would be great ( placed on the chasis that is lol )
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM

Yes Brian sorry I was not clear did you add the 'extra' mounts as well ? And I purchased a second set of mounts and bolts as the ones I bought from year one over 10 years ago looked fairly generic, and the bolts looked off the shelf now the new kit looks great however the washers don't look galvanized or coated? Did you do anything to yours? I spent a lot for stainless steel lines etc I hate rust lol so maybe I should just etch primer and spray them?
Anyway pics of the rubber mounts would be great ( placed on the chasis that is lol )
Eddie, it doesn't seem that I took any good pictures that show the mounts in any detail. The only photos that show them are the pictures on my thread where I show the body being installed on the chassis. I did use the conv body mount set and installed them as the factory did. I think I bought my kit from Fusick but like you, it came with generic bolts and washers. I saw InLine Tube was selling the correct bolt kit so I ended up buying them. They came with the correct washers too. I installed them as they were since they were coated like the factory hardware would have been.

The 69 I am restoring will go to TX when it's complete and the owner will not drive it much. He had a 69 HO that was restored and he put 279 miles on it over 4 years. Given that, I'm hoping the hardware on this car stays nice looking for a long time. Now with your car residing in NJ, I would paint anything that was bare metal. If it has a plating you are worried about, get some of the Nylac (I think that's what it's called) clear coating from Eastwood. They sell it for coating bare metal and another for going over painted finishes. I've had pretty good luck with it.
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM

good thoughts

Thank u Brian will do what you suggested. I am currently on my way home from work in NYC and today was another special day in midtown some dude upset with his boss shoots him, then takes off, police respond yadayada and 2 dead 8 wounded so I am particularly anxious to get home get my work duds on and crawl under the car for some sanity lol might even pop open a cool one after it has been a weird week

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; August 24th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM

good progress

Well I worked on her a little Friday night and a few hours Saturday took my daughter to college Sunday but today I finished stripping the drivers side rocker and some of the drivers side panels so the whole cockpit area is now done, I also got a lot of the drivers side area by the rear axle. I wiped the underside and put on a coat of poor 15 , hopefully tomorrow I can scuff the entire underside and put the tie coat primer on I am very happy the way it is coming out pics to follow later ,
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Pics

COUPLE OF PICS

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Still cleaning

Some pics of the clean metal and what is left uGHHHHHHHH it's getting there

half done

gotta work fast cause Baby is getting impatient LOL 455 awaiting install

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Eddie, I definitely admire your determination in working under there to clean up the bottom of the car. That's a miserable project but you have done a wonderful job. I remember doing this myself but I was working with the car on a rotisserie and it rotated on it's side. Even at that I still looked like I had spent a day in the coal mines!

As an FYI and as was said in a movie....."Nobody puts Baby in corner".
Brian
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Thanks Brian it will be worth it in the end I hope lol I will tell you I looked like all Jolson today lol I am using a cartridge bask and full on goggles anybody thinking about doing this this is a must! Well more progress tomorrow
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:06 PM

working away lol

Well have been under the car for about 6 1/2 hours .... slowly but surely had to take a break pretty much up to the wheel hump in the back need more of those black paint stripping wheels . Feels great to be working on the car
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Well put a few more hours in feels like I am making progress pics tomorrow cuz everyone needs something to believe in and I believe it is time for a beer um after I get this all Jolson mask off llol
Old August 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM

coming along

Well I am still at it but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel , today I got under the trunk area about 3/4 done whew it has been some long haul I stopped now because I used up all the stripping discs I have will be back at in the morning I'll take some pics I can not believe how many nooks and crannies there are :-) I have to say my dealt 4 1/2 inch grinder is doing yeoman work and I am loving those black poly stripping discs ... now it's time to hit the showers.
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:01 PM

at last......

I can finally say that the entire underside has been stripped to bare shiny metal , I just finished the underside of the trunk and compared to the wheel arch underside it was easier but that is a frigging lot of metal.... anyway it is now behind me , I am going to clean and vacuum the shop put some tools away then take some pics because nobody will believe me when I tell them lol. Especially since the gas tank is going to hide 65% of it lol . But I will know that it was done right. Anybody who is going to attempt a frame off you either need to be a masochist or you really need to get a rottissiree I strongly suggest having the car media blasted if at all possible . The money you are going to spend in abrasives, added to the hours and hours of really sh%tty work is just not worth it. If I could have figured a way to get the car outside I would have even crawled under it with my sandblaster , and swept up the mess.

Anyway next step will be to por15 the back area then use the por15 tie coat primer then I will spray the underside. It is getting there
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:21 PM

pics of the latest works

looking from rear to front

pretty nice for the original sheetmetal in the trunk I be stylin LOL

Old August 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Sorry for all the pics, and I know they aren't sexy, but there was a lot of sweat blood and tears not to mention cuss words to get the underside this clean, I will wipe it down and apply por-15 , then on to rpimer... then paint yeehaa
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM

Nice job Eddie. Looks like the floor pans and trunk pan in your car were rock solid.
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM
NOVICE car nut

Great Job Eddie ! I was wondering what grinding or sanding device you used to get the metal cleaned up so nice .

Quick Reply: Eddie Hansen's '69 Cutlass Convertible