Charlotte's rebuild thus far

Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
BigJ91104

Charlotte's rebuild thus far

Here is a link to my photobucket. http://s790.photobucket.com/albums/y...104/CHARLOTTE/

This was my grandfathers car, then my fathers car in high school. I have been working on it since the beginning of December 2009, and here is what I have done so far. The plan is to stay mostly OEM with a few modern(Hidden) upgrades such as power locks and power windows. I intend to keep the factory cranks, and use an AUTOLOC module(Keeps the crank as a switch) to keep the old school feel. Radio will have its guts swapped out with something updated, but will have the same look externally. I plan to attempt 85% of the work myself(IE body work, paint, upholstery, engine work, etc.) We will see how well that works out for me. Let me know what you think, and any tips and opinions will be appreciated.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Thats really nice to see. I love it when a family can maintain a connection like that. I really like the picture with a 3 generations with the car. REALLY cool. keep us posted on the progress.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Texas Jim

Too cool, kept in the family, way to go. Cool body style. Exactly what engine is that? I like the ribbed valve covers. I'll be watching f/ the progress. Body looks pretty good. Best of luck.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM

nice project,that looks solid.

something to check into for the electric window switch. somebody is making

a kit that you use the regular window crank,but you just push/pull it to make the

window go up or down.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Originally Posted by Red71
nice project,that looks solid.

something to check into for the electric window switch. somebody is making

a kit that you use the regular window crank,but you just push/pull it to make the

window go up or down.
I believe thats what he said he was doing!!

Originally Posted by CHARLOTTE
I intend to keep the factory cranks, and use an AUTOLOC module(Keeps the crank as a switch) to keep the old school feel.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Replace the single bowl master cylinder with a dual bowl. replace all the brake lines with new ones and also the fuel lines.
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM
BigJ91104

It's a 1962 OLDS 98 with a 394ci rocket, a 4 barrell, and AC. The autoloc part that I was planning on using keeps the crank, but instead of a push/pull, you move it up or down 15 degrees. I was also planning to replace all the wiring since most of it has been eatten up by mice. I'm going to do a mild wire tuck also. The keyless entry and alarm setup I'm going to use will be built into the new harness I'm going to build so that it will all look factory and not spliced every few inches.

Last edited by CHARLOTTE; January 24th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Texas Jim

It's a 394ci rocket 4 barrell with AC. The autoloc part that I was planning on using keeps the crank, but instead of a push/pull, you move it up or down 15 degrees. I was also planning to replace all the wiring since most of it has been eatten up by mice. I'm going to do a mild wire tuck also. The keyless entry and alarm setup I'm going to use will be built into the new harness I'm going to build so that it will all look factory and not spliced every few inches.
A 394 Rocket, neat. I'll have to look up the specs on that engine. I did see in the rebuild pics that it had factory A/C. A project like that takes time but is worth every bit of it. Like I said, best of luck w/ it. The body has some cool shapes/lines in it also. I really haven't seen any of those around. You know here in Texas, there are alot of older rides around and rebuildable ones to be had. If/when I'm ever in your neck of the woods, maybe I can stop by and check it out.
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM
BigJ91104

Sounds good. I only get to work on her on the weekends, so It might be awhile before there is much to look at, but when your planning on heading this way PM me and we will work something out. I also love the sleek lines of this beautiful ride.
Old January 25th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Texas Jim

Sounds good. I only get to work on her on the weekends, so It might be awhile before there is much to look at, but when your planning on heading this way PM me and we will work something out. I also love the sleek lines of this beautiful ride.

Sounds good. Let's face it, the only place we see these total restores done in a month is on TV's "Rides to Rich" or whatever that show is, or "Overhaulin' " w/ that freakin' guy Fouse(sp?), who gets on my last nerve. LOL. Even w/ a pocket full of money, it takes time to restore something correctly and tastefully. Atleast f/ me, when I build a vehicle; car, truck or bike, or even an engine or suspension system, etc., I like doing it myself, w/ no-one else's hands in on it. And when you do it single-handedly, it's quite abit slower, but that much better when it's completed.
W/ the exception of electric windows, are you going w/ any other up-grades that modernize it? Or, are you just playing that part of it by ear, as you go? I've checked out some of the restore jobs on this site, and alot of really nice ones to say the least, and notice that the up-grades, in most cases, have been done using after-market components rather than later model factory pieces, ie; Disc brake set-ups (f/ drum to disc): Buying a high dollar after-market system instead of using a parts car and swapping the brake system (one that's compatable) from that. If I were to do an older Olds, or another make ride, and was up-grading some of it, I'd get a good parts car, a newer model year that has the most parts/systems that are compatable w/ the one I'm restoring, and use the components and systems from the parts car. That way I'd have the desired up-grades and at the same time, it would still be all Olds-original. This is just my opinion. I used brakes f/ the example, as hub bearing sizes could be the same on newer and older years, making the swap easy and inexpensive.
Just curious, what year did your Dad graduate from high school? It's so cool that you have a ride that's been in the fam f/ three generations, and a great era of autos the car belongs to. IMO, the 50s and 60s were the best of the American auto industry. I remember my older brother bought a '53 Chevy from my cousin Jerry f/ $25.00. My brother had just gotten his license, '66, and Jerry had just graduated from college and was on his way to Viet Nam as a Marine. That car belonged to my uncle Tom, Jerry's father, who had bought it new. It was really rusted out though, the salt damage from the harsh winters in New York, so my brother got an Earl Schibe(sp?), $29.95 paint job on it, and sold it a year or so later f/ the same $25.00 he bought it f/. LOL. That's as near as our fam got to passing a ride down the line. LOL. We're lucky to be here in Texas where cars stay in quite good shape due to the hot & dry climate.
I'll be looking out to see what car shows are coming up in the Houston area, and possibly we can get together. There is the Lone Star Round-up in Austin the month of April, which is supposed to be a great weekend. It's mostly about street rods and the older stuff, but I understand that all rides are welcome and from what I've read, it's a great event over-all. I've never gone to it, but read about it in http://www.deadendmagazine.com and last month's Hot Rod Deluxe. No way will I have my pick-up ready f/ that (I'm dropping a '71 455 Olds engine in my '62 Ford pick-up), but I'll probably drive my 'Vette. One of the guys on the site is from Austin, need to check and refresh his user-name in my head, and said that he may check it out. I personally don't want to miss it. You really should check out the article in Dead End Magazine about the Round-up. It made me want to go even more so. LOL. I like the crowd that events like the Round-up attract. Seems like the "older ride" crowd is more down to earth and just regular people. Beer drinkers, my kind of people. LOL.
Keep your eyes open f/ any shows also, and let me know if you get any hits. Alot of the shows don't cost much to get into and there's alot of happenings going on besides only inside the show, ie; swap meets, etc. There's good times to be had f/ little cost at alot of the shows.
Take care and stay intouch, Jimmy.

Last edited by Texas Jim; January 25th, 2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:25 AM
BigJ91104

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
W/ the exception of electric windows, are you going w/ any other up-grades that modernize it? Or, are you just playing that part of it by ear, as you go?
I'm kinda playing it by ear. For the most part I'm going to try and stay OEM on this project with the exception of the things I mentioned. Don't get me wrong, if I see something that I like better I will definately consider it, I just want to keep this one as original as I can since it has all that sentimental value. However, when I rebuild the 1962 OLDs 88 that he has out there sitting next to where this 98 was, I will probably go wild and upgrade to all electric where possible.(Tastefully of course)
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Texas Jim

I'm kinda playing it by ear. For the most part I'm going to try and stay OEM on this project with the exception of the things I mentioned. Don't get me wrong, if I see something that I like better I will definately consider it, I just want to keep this one as original as I can since it has all that sentimental value. However, when I rebuild the 1962 OLDs 88 that he has out there sitting next to where this 98 was, I will probably go wild and upgrade to all electric where possible.(Tastefully of course)

Understood.